Five Jucos Signed

SUMG

4 of the 5 are 3 star Rivals recruits.......that sounds good. We definitely need DBs and LBs. I was hoping we'd sign a DT or DE in the mid-term signing class.

And maybe we will.

Anyway, this is a pretty good start......

I'm going to be Mr. Negative here....

I think the rivals Star Rankings are a crock of sh*t. Just look at past stars given to people that are superstars now. I think its a better indication to look at other schools that offered. Not that were interested, that offered. I think that gives a good preview of the future ability of these guys. But then again, someone can be overrated just as easy as underrated.

Hope they all work out. And I hope we land that QB.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the rivals Star Rankings are a crock of sh*t. Just look at past stars given to people that are superstars now. I think its a better indication to look at other schools that offered. Not that were interested, that offered. I think that gives a good preview of the future ability of these guys. But then again, someone can be overrated just as easy as underrated.

Graham was recently named first-team All-American by the National Junior College Athletic Association after leading his team and finishing 18th in the nation in tackles with 96. He helped his team to an 11-1 record in 2009 and a win in the CHAMPS Heart of Texas Bowl. His team finished the season ranked No. 3 in the NJCAA poll.

Would you rather we sign an entire class of 1 star recruits or 3 star recruits? I agree that ratings systems, whether they be Rivals, Scout, etc, are not perfect but I have to believe that the odds of finding "superstars" within those touted as 3+ star prospects are far greater than finding them in the pool of prospects that rate as 1 star or below. Every recruit, whether it be at the collegiate or professional level, is a gamble.

Think of the past #1 and #2 overall NFL picks that have failed to live up to their expectations: JaMarcus Russell, David Carr, Tim Couch, KiJana Carter, Steve Emtman, Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich, etc. Or just view this author's Top Ten NFL all-time busts list. Now, compare those lists to the #1 and #2 picks that did succeed and live up to expectations: Peyton and Eli Manning, Troy Aikman, Bo Jackson, Calvin Johnson, Ronnie Brown, Julius Peppers, Donovan McNabb, Marshall Faulk, etc. I use these NFL examples because #1 or #2 overall picks are about as close to a sure thing as you can get. There's endless game film to review and they've been tested in every possible manner one can imagine, yet they are littered with busts.

Wow--that's more 3-star signees than we had in all of our last class. Pretty impressive, all things considered.

Either you don't know anything about our last recruiting class or didn't take the time to research something before you make a post like that: Last years class:

3* OT Jeremy Bean

3* CB Ira Smith

3*DT Shevod Atkinson,

3*OLB Daniel Prior

Last years class should reflect transfers that were added to the initial signings

I will have to continue this but it includes 3-3*, a 4* and a HS 5* ratings.

Either you don't know anything about our last recruiting class or didn't take the time to research something before you make a post like that: Last years class:

3* OT Jeremy Bean

3* CB Ira Smith

3*DT Shevod Atkinson,

3*OLB Daniel Prior

Last years class should reflect transfers that were added to the initial signings

So, per your list... The class as it stood on signing day last February had four 3-stars?

And this year, we've got four 3-stars inked from JUCOs plus 3-star Javia Hall committed, for (hopefully) a total of at least five?

So, per your list... The class as it stood on signing day last February had four 3-stars?

And this year, we've got four 3-stars inked from JUCOs plus 3-star Javia Hall committed, for (hopefully) a total of at least five?

You are correct in what you and Tasty Creek posted but recruiting is a series of signings....players commit early...early signing day and LOI for mid term graduates of JC', then February for other graduates. The last is what happens between Feb and next fall when school starts...recruiting has continued...it shows in the following transfers....Actually Tryler Stradford enrolled at mid-term also and he was ranked a 3*, in the time leading up to the start of classes NT obtain LB Julian Herron from SMU Julian was ranked a 5* coming out of HS, WDE Dewayne Baziel...a late signing JC who played some in 09, WR William Cole transfer from Oklahoma State out of HS..a 4*,

****************************************************I posted this on the FB forum earlier on * rankings are just one measure of quality play as judged by professionals. The offers a prospect received is another measure of quality as judged by the coaches at other schools. Lets take a look at these transfers as judged by opposing coaches:

Julian Herron..SMU, Baylor, TCU, Tulsa, UTEP, Washington State,

Tyler Stradford...Oklahoma, Connecticut, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, OK St, Southern Miss

Dewayne Baziel..TT, Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri, TCU, UTAH and UTEP

William Cole, OK St, TX A&M, AZ, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska

Ath. Justin Chatman was not a 3 * but had offers from Minnesota, Northwestern, Rice, SMU, UTEP, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Other late signings enrolled this fall:

Keenan Flax offers from UH, Iowa State, Missouri and New Mexico,

SDE LaChristopher Anyiam Az, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas State,

DE KC Obi offer from San Diego state.

I guess you could add another O10 player...OG Andrew Russell, Allen HS enrolled at NT, LaMonroe, UNLV, Illinois State, who will enroll in Jan.

You are correct in what you and Tasty Creek posted but recruiting is a series of signings....players commit early...early signing day and LOI for mid term graduates of JC', then February for other graduates. The last is what happens between Feb and next fall when school starts...recruiting has continued...it shows in the following transfers....Actually Tryler Stradford enrolled at mid-term also and he was ranked a 3*, in the time leading up to the start of classes NT obtain LB Julian Herron from SMU Julian was ranked a 5* coming out of HS, WDE Dewayne Baziel...a late signing JC who played some in 09, WR William Cole transfer from Oklahoma State out of HS..a 4*,

****************************************************I posted this on the FB forum earlier on * rankings are just one measure of quality play as judged by professionals. The offers a prospect received is another measure of quality as judged by the coaches at other schools. Lets take a look at these transfers as judged by opposing coaches:

Julian Herron..SMU, Baylor, TCU, Tulsa, UTEP, Washington State,

Tyler Stradford...Oklahoma, Connecticut, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, OK St, Southern Miss

Dewayne Baziel..TT, Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri, TCU, UTAH and UTEP

William Cole, OK St, TX A&M, AZ, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska

Ath. Justin Chatman was not a 3 * but had offers from Minnesota, Northwestern, Rice, SMU, UTEP, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Other late signings enrolled this fall:

Keenan Flax offers from UH, Iowa State, Missouri and New Mexico,

SDE LaChristopher Anyiam Az, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas State,

DE KC Obi offer from San Diego state.

I guess you could add another O10 player...OG Andrew Russell, Allen HS enrolled at NT, LaMonroe, UNLV, Illinois State, who will enroll in Jan.

3* OT Jeremy Bean

3* CB Ira Smith

3*DT Shevod Atkinson,

3*OLB Daniel Prior

I may not know much, but I know a little bit. I was going by Rivals rankings. Rivals gave Prior a 2-star ranking, leaving us with 3 3-star rated commits in 2009.

I may not know much, but I know a little bit. I was going by Rivals rankings. Rivals gave Prior a 2-star ranking, leaving us with 3 3-star rated commits in 2009.

well hell! we're one 3* short of last year and we haven't even signed our HS players...the sky is falling! so are you saying that this recruiting sucks or are you just saying that we're close, but one short of last year?

with the crappy team that was here last year, we should be shiatting our shorts that these players want to play here. maybe they will develop, maybe they won't, all we have to go on are the rankings. hopefully, they pan out!

3* OT Jeremy Bean

3* CB Ira Smith

3*DT Shevod Atkinson,

3*OLB Daniel Prior

Re-check Rivals. There were 3 3-star recruits last year. This year we have 5 signed, and one committed. That's 200% by my count.

Scout.com had Prior rated as a 3* ...check it out

Yes, I am aware of that. But it is inconsistent to apply different ratings systems to different players. If you want to go by Scout, fine--we signed 2 3-star players in 2009.

Look, I wasn't trying to point out how few 3-star signees we had in the 2009 class. My emphasis was on how many we have already for the 2010 class.

Yes, I am aware of that. But it is inconsistent to apply different ratings systems to different players. If you want to go by Scout, fine--we signed 2 3-star players in 2009.

Look, I wasn't trying to point out how few 3-star signees we had in the 2009 class. My emphasis was on how many we have already for the 2010 class.

And we have a winner!

I agree, it does seem a bit silly that this era of NT football has been so bad that we must resort to pulling a rating for one kid from this recruiting site, a rating for another from that site and so on. It's inconsistent and disengenuous. Not saying these kids won't or can't become stars here but let's tap the brakes on trumpeting their pedigrees. (lest we forget that we are all too quick to disparage "stars" rating systems when they don't favor us). Next thing you know we'll be saying we're improving because we offer a lot of high caliber kids....oh...

Edited by emmitt01

I think what's being lost in all the conversation is how good the quality of these recruits are. Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with the JUCO haul so far. Looking just at Rivals, we're still a little behind Troy (which should be expected), and pretty comprable with FIU who has recruited pretty well so far and are in another talent rich area of the country for recruits. All the rest of the SBC schools are significantly behind Troy, FIU and NT. Given how poorly things have turned out for us on the field over the past couple of years, I'm happy with the progress on the recruiting front.

And we have a winner!

I agree, it does seem a bit silly that this era of NT football has been so bad that we must resort to pulling a rating for one kid from this recruiting site, a rating for another from that site and so on. It's inconsistent and disengenuous. Not saying these kids won't or can't become stars here but let's tap the brakes on trumpeting their pedigrees. (lest we forget that we are all too quick to disparage "stars" rating systems when they don't favor us). Next thing you know we'll be saying we're improving because we offer a lot of high caliber kids....oh...

Yep , every site is different and none are reliable. I'm sure if Herron was a legit 5 star recruit June Jones wouldn't of cut him and he could have cracked the starting lineup at SMU. I would rather have a 4 star coach with 2 star players than a 2 star coach with 4 star players. Recruiting site are silly don't you think : Scout.com list Johnson,Graham & Downing as 1 star recruits , but who knows right ?

GMG!!

Yep , every site is different and none are reliable. I'm sure if Herron was a legit 5 star recruit June Jones wouldn't of cut him and he could have cracked the starting lineup at SMU. I would rather have a 4 star coach with 2 star players than a 2 star coach with 4 star players. Recruiting site are silly don't you think : Scout.com list Johnson,Graham & Downing as 1 star recruits , but who knows right ?

GMG!!

*******************************************************************************************You can hit the rating system all you want it is but one measure of ability. Another measure is the schools that offered him indicate the coachs at those institutions thought he was worth a ship...and in Herron's case he had offers from SMU, Baylor, TCU, Tulsa, UTEP and Washington State.......so despite which system you value it is still a judgement waiting to be valuated by performance.