Qb Recruit Better Than Riley Dodge?

Keith7

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Funny. It seems that the "Riley is the greatest thing since sliced cheese" crowd has run up against the "Riley sucks and is the worst QB ever" crowd. Riley is a Redshirt Freshman QB with below average D1A arm strength and height, above average D1A mobility, and is still learning how to protect the football at this level. Nothing more, nothing less right now. Everything else is to be written in the coming 3 seasons. He could turn out to be the next Ty Detmer, or he could turn out to be the next ....disappointing QB recruit (sorry, couldn't think of an example).

Edited by UNT90

So Funny. It seems that the "Riley is the greatest thing since sliced cheese" crowd has run up against the "Riley sucks and is the worst QB ever" crowd. Riley is a Redshirt Freshman QB with below average D1A arm strength and height, above average D1A mobility, and is still learning how to protect the football at this level. Nothing more, nothing less right now. Everything else is to be written in the coming 3 seasons. He could turn out to be the next Ty Detmer, or he could turn out to be the next ....disappointing QB recruit (sorry, couldn't think of an example).

Ryan Leaf?

Leaf was probably a touted recruit, it is what happened when he left Washington for the pros....

Yep. I can think of a bunch of guys that were highly touted out of college that failed, but can't seem to come up with someone highly touted out of HS that failed in college.

Oldtimer?

Yep. I can think of a bunch of guys that were highly touted out of college that failed, but can't seem to come up with someone highly touted out of HS that failed in college.

Oldtimer?

I remember RB Kenneth Hall...all everything...reportedly turned down A$M with a bed full of money to come to NT ....put on weight I don't think he ever played RB...wound up on the line...............this was way back there too far for most of our posters.

Injury Prone? Takes chances running, I will give you that. But some of the hits he takes , and gets back up from, is because we have no size on the o-line. Failure to pick up reads? Kind of hard when there is no blocking from the o line to speak of, and a rusher is on top of you as soon as you get the ball. "No Leadership Skill"? Oh, thats right you were out in the huddle, attended practice, talked to his teammates, coaches (besides his Dad) to come to this conclusion.

I will remind you he is the highest rated recruit to come to UNT regardless of his name. Applewhite was small to, but had some talent around him including a pretty decent offensive line. That is where the size thing can be made up. QB is not the biggest problem for this offense. Your down on him because his name is D-O-D-G-E.

Not to be a negative Ned but I can't allow you to put his turnovers at the feet of the o-line. Go back and look up how many sacks they gave up. Or explain to me how underthrown balls are the fault of the o-line. I agree that he will be improved, vastly in fact, but his freshman mistakes are all his.

Not to be a negative Ned but I can't allow you to put his turnovers at the feet of the o-line. Go back and look up how many sacks they gave up. Or explain to me how underthrown balls are the fault of the o-line. I agree that he will be improved, vastly in fact, but his freshman mistakes are all his.

Emmitt, I don't see where I put the turnovers on the o line. He did not get sacked a lot because of his speed, but when he ran, he got the you know what knocked out him. Underthrown balls are made because a quarterback does not get his feet set, though, and is hurried. The o line has some, but not all, responsibility for that.

Edited by Green Dozer

Man, it would suck if Riley had a college career like Leaf's.

Finally, I have been waiting and waiting for someone to pick up on this. It's not my "type" of thing to post, but I was thinking Quoner or Tasty could really do some "good" with it...finally....all is right with the world! Thanks, Quoner. :lol:

Finally, I have been waiting and waiting for someone to pick up on this. It's not my "type" of thing to post, but I was thinking Quoner or Tasty could really do some "good" with it...finally....all is right with the world! Thanks, Quoner. :lol:

I feel bad. I just realized that was two nut taps to KingDL in one day.

Emmitt, I don't see where I put the turnovers on the o line. He did not get sacked a lot because of his speed, but when he ran, he got the you know what knocked out him. Underthrown balls are made because a quarterback does not get his feet set, though, and is hurried. The o line has some, but not all, responsibility for that.

Riley always had the option of throwing the ball away when his guy wass being double covered, when he was having a hard time getting his feeet set, when he was running for his life, etc...etc...etc...

The O-Line can take a little responsibility, but Interceptions are mostly the fault of the QB. Sometimes he gets hit and that changes the ball flight, sometimes the WR runs the wrong route or doesn't knock the ball out of the DB's hands, but I wold say that is just splitting hairs. Let Riley take his shots and he will get better. No one gets better by being coddled. He will be much better next year, and if he is not then that will probably be his fault too.