Dodge Is 2010!

MeanGreenZen

So he's going to grow taller and stronger?

Also he was "raised" in this offense, so why so many red zone mistakes

Don't know about taller but probably stronger with the dedicated strength coach.

It is called getting used to D1 Speed, not a hard concept.

So he's going to grow taller and stronger?

Also he was "raised" in this offense, so why so many red zone mistakes

a lot of h.s. kids are raised in certain offenses and find the transition from h.s. to college a great deal faster just like transitioning from college to pros. rd is in his rookie season of college. if he were a junior or senior and playing like this i would have some doubts but not as a red shirt freshman.

now nt has lost five games by a touchdown or less this year which is a vast improvement from the last two years when we were losing by two, three or more touchdowns. got to agree with oldtimer that nt is improving............

nt has played with two freshmen qbs in two years

i see the level of quality players commiting to nt improving but they are mostly freshmen and sophmores........not juniors and seniors.

Coach Dodge, et al, has built a solid foundation for next year and almost broke through this year. heck, for one, i am impressed and plan on getting my season tickets for next year when they are available.

i do hope that getting a better kicker should be a priority this recruiting season......knot did miss four points this last game and took nt out of a couple more. that is not Coach Dodge's fault.

Don't know about taller but probably stronger with the dedicated strength coach.

It is called getting used to D1 Speed, not a hard concept.

Yeah that was part sarcasm.

I don't see him ever being a great QB especially in this offense.

We cannot stretch the field with him. we have no inside passing game with the absence of a TE or some kind of crossing routes.

I think RV will give TD another year to turn the corner and learn from his mistakes. If he doesn't turn the corner, then a new coach will open the new stadium. Next year will determine TDs ultimate fate as the Mean Green's head coach.

This would make the most sense. People's opinion of this season would be decidedly different had the 5 or so games that fell apart in the last few minutes gone the other way. Which of course is hindsight, but its frustrating being close and never getting there and opinions may be different had we been on the cusp of an 8-win campaign instead of another 2-win disaster.

Edited by Eagle1855

Other than the fact that I think every college coach should get four years, unless they committ a felony or something, there's no reason to keep Dodge around. He is as bad as Trilli, if not worse. And that is nearly impossible for me to say because that was so freaking horrible.

now nt has lost five games by a touchdown or less this year which is a vast improvement from the last two years when we were losing by two, three or more touchdowns. got to agree with oldtimer that nt is improving............

I never understood this argument either. Following this logic, we never should have fired Dickey, same thing happened in his last year. You either win the games or you don't.

I left this game at the end of the 3rd quarter, partly due to other obligations, partly because I sensed what was coming and didn't want to sit throught the inevitable collapse that ALWAYS hapens with this year's team. I don't blame the players, I blame the coaches.

Special teams - HORRIBLE..again. I truely believe that any team can block a kick anytime they want against UNT this year. The blocks always come at the most crucial times, when other teams are willing to risk a running into the kicker penalty with a rush. This is a complete coaching issue.

Riley Dodge - Great quarterback, as long as he doesn't have to throw the ball more than 15 yards downfield. Popgun arm. That won't change as a soph, junior, or senior. He can't throw the deep ball unless he rainbows it to the receiver. Missed numerous open downfield receivers in this game.

Turnovers- Disciplned teams don't turn the ball over 5 times in one game, with 4 coming in the red zone. Disciplined defenses force turnovers, we don't.

Defense - Still can't make a play with the game on the line.

Play calling. When your running back has broken a long TD run and time is running down in the 4th, you have the ball 3rd and 1 at the opponents 15, and you got to that 3rd and 1 with runs of 5 and 4 yards from said running back, how about giving that running the chance to pick up a yard? You know, that same running back who HASN'T turned the ball over in the game.

Observations from my friend, who was just along for the ride and is not a UNT fan:

Army players were much bigger than UNT players. I would expect this of the Alabamas of the world, but Army?

He also said that after the blocked kick, a signiicant number of UNT fans on the alumni side began to cheer for Army. Really sad.

Edited by UNT90

I was sitting on the Alumni side, in the area where the friends and parents of the family gather.

There were Army fans scattered all through my area and throughout the entire alumni side.

In my area, the only time the Army fans yelled was during the last minute and half of the game.

I overheard Army fans stating that Army got lucky, and ecsaped with a win.

Two Army fans wanted to buy the Tank Army T-shirt that I had on!

My 3 requests are:

1. I want Coach Dodge to stay.

2. I want DC Gary DeLoach to stay.

3. I want all the red shirts to stay, along with the recruits for the 2010 class.

I was sitting on the Alumni side, in the area where the friends and parents of the family gather.

There were Army fans scattered all through my area and throughout the entire alumni side.

In my area, the only time the Army fans yelled was during the last minute and half of the game.

I overheard Army fans stating that Army got lucky, and ecsaped with a win.

My friend told me that it was UNT fans that switched sides after the blocked kick. It struck him as funny. It was upper "deck" on the aisle between sec D and sec E on the south side.

I was already gone by this point.

I read three pages in this thread and don't recall seeing "turn the corner" defined. I think "turn the corner" is seven wins and a bowl invitation. That is the minimum necessary to fit the definition, IMHO.

My friend told me that it was UNT fans that switched sides after the blocked kick. It struck him as funny. It was upper "deck" on the aisle between sec D and sec E on the south side.

I was already gone by this point.

Man, I have 2 degrees from UNT and a tour in the Army (so think I can tell the difference), and I can tell you there were Army fans seated throughout the alumni section, in dispersed, but sizable groupings. And I hate to say it, but I found myself cheering for one Army play I thought was pretty good; really, just a reflexive thing. Once you've been part of an organization you like to see them do well, other than when we're playing them in football. Honestly, Army did keep trying to win, whereas with not going for it on the 4th and 5, we were just trying not to lose, and doing a terrible job of it.

At least some men and women from a branch of the service that's been through some real hell lately got to forget about all that for a little while on Saturday afternoon. That's my positive takeaway from the whole experience.

No DD bashing here. DD was 2nd greatest coach in UNT history, in my opinion, behind Hayden Fry. Dodge did inherit a mess though, that is why I give him a pass on his first couple years. This year I figure he is starting new because only now is he in a position where he has the talent to win, but they just haven't learned how to close, the +/- on turnovers is killing them. He is a couple of coaching changes, a few tweaks here and there from delivering a bowl berth next season. To twist something Bill Parcells said: Hey, we've already suffered through all the pain. Are we going to quit right before Dodge shows us the baby?

agree...while I was no DD fan, he was one of the few coaches that brought ANYTHING to unt since I have been following it (nearly 35 yrs). While UNT was still a weak team...not winning OC games and only won the NO bowl once, due to turnovers, I still didn't have to cry in my beer every game like under TD.

ah, no way dd is second on the list. check his overall record, one of the worst in our history.

Dodge gets 2010 to win 7 and go bowling or he's gone.

DD, the second best coach in NT history. The rumbling you just felt was Coach Mitchell rolling over in his grave. I might even put Mitchell ahead of Fry.