Fight Song / School Song

Sound_Man

Then why were we a Top 10 team at one time last year? Why did we get a 5 star receiver to decommit from Notre Dame to come to Houston? Why are most of our recruits this year high 3 stars? Then why are our recruits picking us over multiple BCS offers? Then why are we heading to an AQ conference next season? Why do we bring anywhere from 28-32,000 fans a game which UNT has NEVER had before? If we're such a low-level program, the why have we given you back to back 40+ point beatdowns? If we're a low-level program despite what I mention above, then what does that make UNT?

Think about what you post before you post it Grandpa.

Top 10 team: You had a very good coach, that is gone, and a 30 year old QB.

5 star recruit: I know little of him other than a case of thedrops against ECU. Maybe he couldn't academically qualify at ND. Honestly, I don't know.

Attendance: Drop the big attendance talk. UH had good attendance last year. You would have had about 18,000 at the UNT game this year without our fans.

BCS Conference: The Big East will probably lose AQ status and you will be stuck playing schools nobody in Houston cares about and who are so far away they won't bring any fans.

20+ point beatdowns: You beat us by half that last year and it wasn't 40+ this year. This year was a beatdown because we played so poorly, but they weren't as bad as you wish.

Face it, we are both growing programs with UH ahead at this point. Now go back to your team's fan board.

• Upvote 1

I think we should get a new fight song before we get into CUSA. Are we still the Eagles?

There was a big hand painted sign in the windows of Victory Hall yesterday that read "EAGLES". The bookstore gives out roll out signs that read "GO EAGLES" on one side. SOW. Scrappy. Fly Like an Eagle. I think there is plenty if evidence that UNT is still very much the Eagles, in addition to the Mean Green.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How can one be an Eagle and a Mean Green and why is Mean Green not in our fight song? Why am I not wasting my time on www.goeagles.com?

That's a very valid point you make there D. As Hamilton might say, "We are Mean Green. Learn it, Live it, Love it."

fast-times-reinhold.png

It seems this discussion is rehashed every six months or so. Yes, we are the Eagles, and yes, we are the Mean Green. Here is the story of how we got the name "Mean Green": http://www.unt.edu/northtexan/archives/w04/mean.htm

Yet when our defense, and ultimately our team, was nicknamed the Mean Green, no one suggested that we were no longer the Eagles. Nebraska's fan website is gobigred.com, people yell "Go Big Red!" at Nebraska games . . . and yet no one has that much difficulty understanding that they are still the Cornhuskers . . . or Huskers. Different names, all valid.

Yes, we might emphasize "Mean Green" more now, as RV personally likes it better. But we were the Eagles long before RV got here, and we will still be the Eagles long after he is gone.

• Upvote 2

Dumb argument... Alabama is really the Red Elephants (note stickers etc. ) but go by Crimson Tide.... Notre Dame is really Lepracons and use fighting Irish. There are more... I think Tulane once used Pelicans instead of Green Wave.

Besides those of us who attended before the Mean Green name hit .. still like Eagles..... that is what we used as students and we are still alive. I even remember students locking hands some [ thumbs really and extended fingers together... resembles an Eagle... that seems to be gone. [used on kickoffs with person next to you]

More confusion... listen to Texas Tech school song ... it is "Hail to the Matadors".... which is what they once were until they showed up a a bowl game with a horse and rider..... That is the Red Raider ( looks more like a Picador to me ) ... that old school song still exists, no changes. They used the term Picadors or Pics for their freshman teams until 70's.... freshman could not play on varsity teams (anywhere in NCAA) until 70's.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Dumb argument... Alabama is really the Red Elephants (note stickers etc. ) but go by Crimson Tide.... Notre Dame is really Lepracons and use fighting Irish. There are more... I think Tulane once used Pelicans instead of Green Wave.

Besides those of us who attended before the Mean Green name hit .. still like Eagles..... that is what we used as students and we are still alive. I even remember students locking hands some [ thumbs really and extended fingers together... resembles an Eagle... that seems to be gone. [used on kickoffs with person next to you]

More confusion... listen to Texas Tech school song ... it is "Hail to the Matadors".... which is what they once were until they showed up a a bowl game with a horse and rider..... That is the Red Raider ( looks more like a Picador to me ) ... that old school song still exists, no changes. They used the term Picadors or Pics for their freshman teams until 70's.... freshman could not play on varsity teams (anywhere in NCAA) until 70's.

Adding on to this...

Aggy still says go farmers go! And fight farmers fight!

Army still uses cadets even though they're the Black Knights. Auburn still identifies themselves with War Eagle and uses it in their fight song and chant. Miami still uses an Albatross and so on.