It Starts And Ends With The Head Coach!

meangreenbob

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably in Year 2 of a downtroden program and JJ is leading to a possible bowl already, while we wallow yet again regressing in Year 3 with Football God for our coach.

Who is June Jones and how much money did it take to get him to SMU, I applaud SMU for that kind of finical commitment.

But to compare a proven coach with 11 years NFL experience and 8 years has a wining head coach in NCAA Division 1a prior to coming to SMU to Dodge or anyone we could have afforded at the time is plain and simply retarded and silly.

We can't match that salary that I am aware of? So quit crying unless you have the money to put up for a five year contract.

I agree the Dodge experiment is not looking good but a guy like Dodge is learning on the job and he is going to take longer then a guy who already has it figured out. If anyone does not understand that simple point, I feel sorry for you.

If Dodge was fired tomorrow it would not break my heart, I just understand the timeline on this kind of thing.

Who is June Jones and how much money did it take to get him to SMU, I applaud SMU for that kind of finical commitment.

But to compare a proven coach with 11 years NFL experience and 8 years has a wining head coach in NCAA Division 1a prior to coming to SMU to Dodge or anyone we could have afforded at the time is plain and simply retarded and silly.

We can't match that salary that I am aware of? So quit crying unless you have the money to put up for a five year contract.

I agree the Dodge experiment is not looking good but a guy like Dodge is learning on the job and he is going to take longer then a guy who already has it figured out. If anyone does not understand that simple point, I feel sorry for you.

If Dodge was fired tomorrow it would not break my heart, I just understand the timeline on this kind of thing.

So just because Dodge only gets $275K a year he is not expected to match wins with a $2 million coach, wow then you must be happy when we finish #110 beating out 5 teams who make more than Dodge, hell Dodge got schooled by Weatherbie last week, who makes much less than Dodge. Stop complaining about the money issue Dodge did not have to accept the job and there were plenty of Coaches out their with decades of experience who would take a our doormat job for even less than Dodge is getting now running our program into the crowd in 3 years, but I guess I am a retarded comedian in your brilliant eyes.

Okay. So you're saying we shouldn't expect the progress SMU is getting because we couldn't afford a coach like Jones. Fair enough.

Why, then, can we not expect HALF the progress of Stockstill and Cristobal -- neither of which, mind you, is setting the bar astronomically high?

3 wins this year is not "progress" by any rational measure. Bottom line, whatever happens, whatever we pay, we're not getting CLOSE to our money's worth. I don't want to hear any more of this "poor little UNT" junk about our budget. Spend what you have, spend it well. Period. The Marlins can win world series, and the rest of the Belt can hire cheap coaches that far exceed our ROI. We don't exactly have less money now than we've ever had, and we've always gotten a hell of a lot more for our money than THIS.

I'm so tired of the money excuse. It's a cop out and doesn't hold water. How many teams who pay less have taken us to the woodshed? How many who DON'T have our recruiting surroundings or who coach at more desolate locales have punked us? Far too many.

So just because Dodge only gets $275K a year he is not expected to match wins with a $2 million coach, wow then you must be happy when we finish #110 beating out 5 teams who make more than Dodge, hell Dodge got schooled by Weatherbie last week, who makes much less than Dodge. Stop complaining about the money issue Dodge did not have to accept the job and there were plenty of Coaches out their with decades of experience who would take a our doormat job for even less than Dodge is getting now running our program into the crowd in 3 years, but I guess I am a retarded comedian in your brilliant eyes.

Jones and Dodge are not comparable period it has nothing to do with me being happy with anything.

I'm so tired of the money excuse. It's a cop out and doesn't hold water. How many teams who pay less have taken us to the woodshed? How many who DON'T have our recruiting surroundings or who coach at more desolate locales have punked us? Far too many.

If you like to believe it fine, but let me introduce you to the real world.

To bring in a proven head coach costs money end of story, if you want me to read you a fairy tale I can.

Could we have hired a better choice with the money we had it sure as hell looks like it. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Edited by KingDL1

If you like to believe it fine, but let me introduce you to the real world.

To bring in a proven head coach cost money end of story, if you want me to read you a fairy tale I can.

Could we have hired a better choice with the money we had it sure as hell looks like it. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

My hindsight is 50-50. Knowing what I know now, I think I still have even odds on making the same mistakes again.

who were the "plenty of coaches out there with decades of experience who would take our doormat job for less?"

personally, Coach Dodge walked into a very bad situation with the "lack of talent" on both sides of the ball. heck, he has had only, really, two full years of recruiting for this program and IMHO has done a great job in getting quality player to commit to play for this program. It is easy to see the progress that has been made in all aspects of the program since his arrival...........but at the same time he has played two freshmen QBs in three years.

freshmen qb's make freshmen qb mistakes. that is understandable.

I have not given up on Coach Dodge because I see the "overall" progress he has made with the program. Even with all the close loses I believe he is about to turn the corner and make this program into a winner.

My hindsight is 50-50. Knowing what I know now, I think I still have even odds on making the same mistakes again.

So is hindsight 50-50 worse then hindsight 20-20?

I am sure RV would do it differently now, even if he went with Dodge still, I am sure RV would demand that all of Dodge's assistants were FBS (D1A) coaches or better. TFLF has that part right for sure. I fully believe Dodge will be a great head coach some day, it is just that learning curve, I only wish this learning experience was not on our dime.

I worry after each one of these games we should of won, that our fan base holds it together and none of our fans has a break down. I could see the chance that one of our fans goes fully Postal, and how many would have to testify on his behalf. Well Judge and members of the jury you have to understand what we have been through, 5 years of the worst crappy college football imaginable and a Coach the breaks each game down into bunches of tiny objectives. He can show how in this battle or that battle how we improved or met our objectives. But we hardly ever win the war coach. Frankly Your Honor and members of the Jury I too have felt the need clean house myself. This person that lost it was a Mean Green Faithful who just could not take anymore, we all have limits you know. Why, Why Judge can't we win? Sobbing out of control, Why? Why the 38th parallel?

I am not sure how the FIU PA announcer made it through the night, maybe we didn't have any fans there.

who were the "plenty of coaches out there with decades of experience who would take our doormat job for less?"

personally, Coach Dodge walked into a very bad situation with the "lack of talent" on both sides of the ball. heck, he has had only, really, two full years of recruiting for this program and IMHO has done a great job in getting quality player to commit to play for this program. It is easy to see the progress that has been made in all aspects of the program since his arrival...........but at the same time he has played two freshmen QBs in three years.

freshmen qb's make freshmen qb mistakes. that is understandable.

I have not given up on Coach Dodge because I see the "overall" progress he has made with the program. Even with all the close loses I believe he is about to turn the corner and make this program into a winner.

Technically, Dodge walked into an average defense and made them the worst d in the nation. He came in with a bad offense and made them barely average. Just a lot of meaningless yards per game that didnt translate to points.

Dodge hasn't even maintained our program, he has made it worse. Much worse. It seems that the team constantly quits on him and loses heart. Dickey needed to leave, that isn't disputed. But i see no reason to keep dodge around, especially when he does worse. Being close in the games late only to lose consistently only tells me he doesn't know how to manage a game well and finish out. We lose way to many leads late and this is just another example. I don't see this as progress, but even more of an indicator of his coaching ability. It is one thing to have this happen every now and then. But, Ohio, LA-LA, FAU, FIU, who else!? There are good coaches out there... we should pursue them. I wouldn't mind consistently being at S. Miss. level right now.

Also, playing two freshman qb's was his choice. By the way, there are those on the team actually would like tune to play and believe that RD could be good, just not right now.

Technically, Dodge walked into an average defense and made them the worst d in the nation. He came in with a bad offense and made them barely average. Just a lot of meaningless yards per game that didnt translate to points.

Dodge hasn't even maintained our program, he has made it worse. Much worse. It seems that the team constantly quits on him and loses heart. Dickey needed to leave, that isn't disputed. But i see no reason to keep dodge around, especially when he does worse. Being close in the games late only to lose consistently only tells me he doesn't know how to manage a game well and finish out. We lose way to many leads late and this is just another example. I don't see this as progress, but even more of an indicator of his coaching ability. It is one thing to have this happen every now and then. But, Ohio, LA-LA, FAU, FIU, who else!? There are good coaches out there... we should pursue them. I wouldn't mind consistently being at S. Miss. level right now.

Also, playing two freshman qb's was his choice. By the way, there are those on the team actually would like tune to play and believe that RD could be good, just not right now.

average "d"..... made team much worse?? those close "L's" you mention were blowouts the last two years.....i guess you even admit, in a negative way, that Coach Dodge is improving.

you have your opinion and i have mine.....guess we will agree to disagree.

average "d"..... made team much worse?? those close "L's" you mention were blowouts the last two years.....i guess you even admit, in a negative way, that Coach Dodge is improving.

you have your opinion and i have mine.....guess we will agree to disagree.

Under Bliel our D was average (i believe it was somewhere in between 50-65 in the nation) statistically speaking. Dodge came in and over night is was the worst in the nation. That can't be disputed. Niether can Dodge with the reputation of getting a lot of offensive yards that don't really translate into scores.

Keeping it close was a reference to the progress we have seen this year. I never mentioned the first two years, or Dickey's last two. I still see poor game management and the inability to hold on to leads. Though, we gave up a few of those Dodge's first year here too (i.e.- ASU and SMU). If bad luck is always happening to you, maybe it isn't bad luck... maybe it is just you.

I like your optimism. I want some of it. I just can't. After talking to a player or two... i find it that much more difficult to do so.

Edited by Travis

I'll quote a good friend of mine, "if Dodge is back, 5 wins does not cut it. That would be 4 straight losing seasons for him. We need to stop with the improvement over "his" previous year/team talk. He was hired to improve over the performance of the previous coach and that is what his evaluation should be based upon. "

Edited by DeepGreen

I'll quote a good friend of mine, "if Dodge is back, 5 wins does not cut it. That would be 4 straight losing seasons for him. We need to stop with the improvement over "his" previous year/team talk. He was hired to improve over the performance of the previous coach and that is what his evaluation should be based upon. "

I fully agree, and will take one step further a Bowl or done.

Couldnt agree more. I hate this "improvement " crap. 3 years and some people are happy at hanging in there with the likes of FIU & ULL. Is that what we strive for ? We are still getting killed by the better teams of the Belt , Monroe & Troy.

We only improved this year , because it was impossible to get any worse. In the last 2 seasons we were the WORST TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL.... I don't see how some do not get that.

It's like someone being a 3rd year freshman in high school. Little Billy got 20-30s in every class on his report cards the 1st 2 years of high school and then in his 3rd year of being a freshman this year he is getting 30 & 40s and his parents are so so happy that maybe one day he will get to go to sophmore status.

With that being said , we will beat Army this week and all things will be right in the world for a day

Let's pretend Dodge had my job:

In year one he wrote speeding tickets to stationary vehicles, randomly arrested little old ladies for prostitution and slept in his squad car the rest of the time.

In year two his son graduated the police academy. While waiting to be assigned his son as a partner he "improved" by waiting for the vehicles to start moving, albeit in a grocery store parking lot, before writing the speeding ticket. He didn't sleep his whole shift but rather hung out at the 7-11 "in case it got robbed."

In year three with his son riding shotgun he consistently arrives at the scene of robberies, assaults and murders "just a little late" but he's getting better! He's finally decided to turn on his radar gun...he just holds it upside down and 58mph looks like 85mph to him. Nobody's perfect.

He clearly deserves one more year to "turn that corner".