Unt In Final 4

Cooley

Top senior in DISD, State Top 5 and National Recruit.

The final answer is: Missouri, Marquette, Georgetown and UNT.

The 6-7 all-world athletic began his HS career at S. Grand Prairie but moved out of state. Returned to Dallas for his senior year. This kid can do it all! Impact player from day one.

Top senior in DISD, State Top 5 and National Recruit.

The final answer is: Missouri, Marquette, Georgetown and UNT.

The 6-7 all-world athletic began his HS career at S. Grand Prairie but moved out of state. Returned to Dallas for his senior year. This kid can do it all! Impact player from day one.

all joking aside, how on earth we do have a chance with this kid??? the other bball schools are out of our league...

• Downvote 1

all joking aside, how on earth we do have a chance with this kid??? the other bball schools are out of our league...

44 miles vs. 679, 1063, 1326 miles.

Starting spot vs. coming off the bench.

Plus...our national profile is steadily on the rise. Most publications have us as a top 100 basketball team this season...and we only lose two players. We're hands down the best basketball team in the metroplex and I think we are becoming more and more appealing to area talent.

I feel very confident in our ability to land at least 1 of the now 4 top prospects we're in on (Ross-Miller, Edwards, Peters, Mitchell)

Plus...our national profile is steadily on the rise. Most publications have us as a top 100 basketball team this season...and we only lose two players. We're hands down the best basketball team in the metroplex and I think we are becoming more and more appealing to area talent.

I feel very confident in our ability to land at least 1 of the now 4 top prospects we're in on (Ross-Miller, Edwards, Peters, Mitchell)

Also, he's on the same AAU team as Ross-Miller.

Either the recruitment of one has given us a line in on the other (maybe we'll get both as a package that want to stick together, like Holman and his friend originally committed to Centenary?) or we've got a connection to that AAU squad.

I am very, very excited about early signing period.

This is just pure speculation on my part: But I wonder if Asst. coach Shawn Forrest is becoming our Shelton Gandy of b-ball recruiting. Shawn was known as a great recruiter at Arkansas State. This is his second year here.....time enough to have established the contacts that are vital in recruiting. Like I said....I don't know this.....just speculating.

As to why these kids might want to come to NT instead of the other schools: NT offers something which the others don't: The chance to leave a legacy at a university. All those other name schools.....have nationally known hoopsters from their schools. So, anyone who signs with them....is going to just be the next guy in a long line of famous players. At NT.....a great player could be THE GUY who puts us on the map. (kind of like Stephon Curry did at Davidson). So even though we have a Joe Greene in football....a player that folks around the country have heard of......that same kind of position in NT basketball (a nationally known player from NT)....that spot is wide open.

Don't see where he lists us at all.

Emmitt.......I've learned not to doubt Cooley. He knows some of these things before Rivals or Scout do. After all, he told us about Brandon Peters weeks before we were listed on Brandon's Rivals page.

The one thing we dont have on our resume, is sending guys to the league, but if we could get this guy, it would be the biggest get in the history of the program if not in the entire history of our athletic program.

Mitchell on ESPN.

They had him at #57 in the country and recent updates seem to indicate that his stock is rising from there. That writeup talks about his outside shot and about him guarding Vince Carter at a camp.

One discouraging note... He apparently doesn't want to sign anywhere until spring.

EDIT: It also says he decommitted from Kansas State. That's probably got something to do with Freddy Asprilla's transfer. If we somehow land this guy, it would, to some degree, be indirectly thanks to FIU for hiring Isiah Thomas.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

Message board fodder from some of the other schools that pursued him...

Mom is the reason he bailed out on K-State, because she wasn't involved in the decision. Apparently, she's the one driving the bus on the new recruitment process. She says he'll make his decision after Thanksgiving.

If Mom is such a major factor in this choice, and we're the only school within 400 miles of home... That's a very encouraging sign.

Also, Missouri has two scholarships left to give. Out of four, they've already got commitments from a 3 star SG and a 4 star PG, Phil Pressey from here in Dallas.

Other uncommited frontcourt prospects with offers from Missouri:

Tarik Black, 4 star Center 47th ranked nationally by Rivals

Titus Rubles, 3 star forward

Kadeem Green, 3 star forward

One downside of signing with Missouri- logjam of young guys means minutes might be tough to come by for a year or two.

Kim English - 6'6" guard, sophomore, 111th nationally in 2008 per Rivals.

John Underwood - 6'9" freshman, 3 star in 2009 per Rivals.

Tyler Stone - 6'7" freshman, 3 star in 2009 per Rivals.

Laurence Bowers - 6'8" sophomore, 3 star in 2008 per Rivals.

None of them are as highly ranked as Mitchell, but that's still a lot of well regarded guys to have to fight through for playing time. Come here, with Tramiel set to graduate, and you're almost certainly in the starting lineup within the first month of the season.