Bring Back The Old Swc

Hunter Green

An interesting retort from one reader:

"The collegiate conference system is elitist and smacks of profiteering on the backs of amateur student-athletes. Plus conferences cost more than they are worth in administrative overhead.

Ditch all conferences and have the NCAA create regional districts biannually. Let them schedule more fairly so OU doesn't get 7 home games a year.

It is time to give college athletics back to the student bodies and the student athletes therein."

"The collegiate conference system is elitist and smacks of profiteering on the backs of amateur student-athletes. Plus conferences cost more than they are worth in administrative overhead.

Ditch all conferences and have the NCAA create regional districts biannually. Let them schedule more fairly so OU doesn't get 7 home games a year.

It is time to give college athletics back to the student bodies and the student athletes therein."

The NCAA is the problem. They are happy to ride the cash cow that is what we currently have. They are not going to draw district lines like some sort of UIL system.

That would make too much sense?

It is going to take some overhead power to throw dow the gavel and stop the BCS train.

With Rice and UTEP both losing, Rice pretty badly, why did we not move up in their rankings? I can kind of understand not passing UTEP, since they kept it close against a pretty good team, but Rice was pretty bad.

Slow down there...we've still got a long way to go. I'm more surprised that Tech is #3 after they struggled against North Dakota State. I'd put Baylor and maybe even Houston ahead of them after that performance. I'd also flip UTEP and Rice because I think Buffalo is a much better team than UAB. At least we're ranked ahead of SMU. Another win this weekend, coupled with losses by both Rice and UTEP could have us chanting, "We're # 7!!!! (in Texas, that is)"

With Rice and UTEP both losing, Rice pretty badly, why did we not move up in their rankings? I can kind of understand not passing UTEP, since they kept it close against a pretty good team, but Rice was pretty bad.

It's about the very thing he is talking about, conference affiliation, as in ours is un-desireable. I mean people were talking about kicking baylor to the SBC, what does that tell you. I know the SBC is getting better, but in the system the NCAA has now, Top Recruits will almost always go to a BCS school... leaving school like those in the sunbelt playing catch up without ever getting anywhere. I don't know what the answer is but I think we can all agree that the BCS system is B.S.

Edited by filmerj

Baylor or UH should be ranked ahead of Tech, I agree.

The UIL-like district idea for college football is intriguing, but if you really want to flip college football, go back to limited substitution (single platoon) and take the coaches' control away. THAT would make things far more competitive and drive down costs.

Edited by Varsity

After giving that comment a second thought, that doesn't sound too bad. It'll never happen, but it does make a little sense. The alignment could be similar to what the UIL does in the Texas HS ranks, although I don't think basing "districts" on total enrollment wouldn't be too fair. Maybe ranking by total athletic budget would provide a similar division, but I'd hate to think where that would put us. On the other hand, HS football is quickly becoming more similar to college football...who would have ever thought we'd be seeing HS football games nationally broadcast on ESPN 10-20 years ago??

77-20. You and I know it's a new year, but it takes the media some time to let go of past impressions.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Interesting choice of words, as it may be a gavel that brings an end to the BCS.

That's the only way it can happen. The Big 10 and SEC wield too much power; they're not about to vote themselves a pay decrease. The NCAA is not about to buck those two commissioners.