Smu Game "sold Out"

emmitt01

Wow...SMU scores again. He was about to kneel the ball at the 5 yd line on the way to the endzone....had stopped and was literally about to kneel down to let the clock run out. Then changes his mind and then walks the last 5 yrds.

Congrats you barely beat an average Southland Conference school. And had to do so with SFA throwing you 5 ints/gifts. Pony UP!!!!!

Edited by H-towngreen

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McNeal scores. 31-23. Game wasn't even close.

Please!

SFA has 431 total yards against SMU's 355. SFA has 352 passing yards compared to 202 for SMU. 6 turnovers is pretty hard to overcome.

SFA has the ball around mid-field and is driving, so those stats aren't even final.

i saw highlights of this game on tv and they announced a sell out as the players were running onto the field....yet every clip they showed, you could see TONS of open seats...

i guess we'll have a sell out next week as well...

The sad thing is that SFA had 6 turnovers and the Phonies, barely pulled out the win...

Oh yeah, upset of the day was William and Mary over Virginia, now thats embarassing, lol

Well, the CAA is a fine I-AA conference. Richmond beat Duke. My late father graduated from W and M and my niece is a junior at UVa so my loyalties were split on this one. Future CAA football member,Old Dominion, from my hometown of Norfolk, played football today (and won) for the first time since 1940. I understand their 20K stadium is sold out for the season.

Couple of comments off the pony board.

not sure, but was talking with a guy that is in charge of the ticket takers at halftime and he said it wasnt close to a sellout. There were lots of empty seats. If it werent for the free tickets they gave some of the local school, it would have probably been half full

MustangMan2001

Varsity

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Official SMU v. SFA Game Thread

by ontheedgeofmyseat » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:14 pm

...even our sellout is hollow...HA! JJ says 4 years,,,deal with it.

This game was laughable. I keep trying to root for them, but them I am reminded why I hate that freaking school. I get to the game at the start of the 2nd quarter. I was told the $14 endzone seats were sold out. BULL$!!! I am charged the full $24 for a sideline seat in the 2nd deck when the game is 1/4 over! There was a guy next to me that was upset, apparently he got some free tickets for his kiddos, but had to pay for 1 or two full price tickets. I told him to come up to Denton next Saturday, get far cheaper tickets, easier parking, and see a better brand of football. He said he might do that :D

On the way out, a couple of $MUt fans were talking about a guy they knew being a douche. If you go to a football game in slack shorts and a white dress shirt, you calling someone douche is like a prostitute calling someone a whore.

Now, to the game. Pretty bad officiating. SFA clearly roughed a kicker at the end of the first half, but it was called running into the kicker. Moot point cause it was at the end of the half. JJ was a moron to run a fake punt from your own 40 when you are DOWN. The SFA coach wasted a TO by challenging a fumble midway through the 4th when it was obviously a fumble from the other side of the stadium. The SFA offensive coordinator must have been auditioning for the upcoming $MUt coaching vacancy. Despite the turnovers and their D being winded, the have the ball around the $MU 30 with about 3 minutes. Instead of running the clock down, they go for the endzone on first down, stopping the clock. On 3rd down and on the left hashmark, instead of running the ball or running the QB keeper to the right and thus middle of the field, they run something I guess passes for the QB Draw to the LEFT. Bad angle and the kicker misses the FG. Quite possibly the WORST playcalling I have ever seen.

Oh, the gameday production was horrible. The PA announcer pretty much overexplained everything and the PA had a constant buzz.

Edited by Rudy

Went to the game. Nice crowd but didn't look like it was near a sellout to me. Probably 30-40% left the game by mid-3rd Quarter. Very unenthusiastic crowd for opening night, but I guess that is just smu and so many of the attendees had giveaway seats. Sad outcome. SFA made so many stupid late turnover mistakes that it almost looked like they were paid to lose. ;)

SFA made so many stupid late turnover mistakes that it almost looked like they were paid to lose. ;)

Actually they were paid to be a loser as are most 1-AAs playing on opening day at BCS schools (not that smut qualifies), but despite themselves almost won. It looks like JJ has lots more work to do to earn his $2million salary this season. :P

I just read through five pages of SMU obsessed hatred, to find out who won this game. How many times can you print "smut" "$mu" "phonies" "sold out?" but, just just keep repeating how smu dislikes us, right? Some of you immature kids might try coming to church with me, todays lesson was on, letting jealousy and hatred, control your mind. Now, how about that Riley Dodge? Now there is a winner, just like Todd!

I just read through five pages of SMU obsessed hatred, to find out who won this game. How many times can you print "smut" "$mu" "phonies" "sold out?" but, just just keep repeating how smu dislikes us, right? Some of you immature kids might try coming to church with me, todays lesson was on, letting jealousy and hatred, control your mind. Now, how about that Riley Dodge? Now there is a winner, just like Todd!

The $mut phonies are a bunch of losers.. They will stay in the bottom 10 all year like they deserve. That is just fact. They can have their fake sold out game in which they almost lost to a bowl sub division team.. thats laughable.. We beat a real division-1 team so nananananana a boo boo! $2 million for June Jones?? HAHA What fools.

Make a note to yourself to avoid opening and reading smut threads. There's a long standing "thang" between UNT and the ponies that a newbie like you may have difficulty understanding. It's not going away so rather than critize, just ignore and you'll feel much better. :rolleyes:

Edited by MeanGreen61

I went Ford last night with some of my friends from SFA's admissions office. I was wearing a purple shirt, but also had on my Mean Green hat. Got a few nice compliments from some of the fans on both sides, particularly about Riley. No surprise there.

The Stadium was no more than 80% full. The swanky boxes seemed even less filled. SFA had a turnout on par with UNT's showing at Ford a couple of years ago. I wondered how busy the blvd was during the game?

SFA had a great showing early. SMUs offense, particularly thier QB Mitchell is not ready for prime time. SMUs saving grace on offense was their line. The OL controlled the line of scrimmage and just wore down the Jacks. In the 4th quarter, SMU was finally able to move the ball on the ground.

ALso, I have never seen as many calls and non-calls go against one team. From the stands it looks like SMU boosters didn't only pay for tickets last night.

Good game Jacks!!! ANd I think it is going to be a loing season for the ponies.

So you criticizing others for criticizing others makes it ok ? It's called being football rivals , this a football message board for opinions incase you haven't noticed. They would be saying the samething about us if we were losing to SFA.

Edited by NT03