Ball State - Fall Practice Report- The Star Press

Charlie NT 73

From the Ball State board-

Youth on their OL. Good size, and height. I would not take too much value in the listed weights of these OL guys.

HFC Stan Parrish, ask QB Kelly Paige to write down the plays he is comfortable with, not the plays Parrish wants.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/200908...s-2-deep-roster

Current Ball State OL with 2 weeks to go. (I gained the player for from the BSU roster).

LT Cameron Lowry, R/Fresh, 6-6, 270, first year to play

LG Michael Switzer, Junior, 6-5, 278, 2 yr letterman

Center, Kreg Hunter, Soph, 6-3, 300, 1 yr letterman

RG Travis Arnold, Senior, 6-8, 300, 1 yr letterman

RT Austin Holtz, R/Fresh, 6-5, 280, first year to play

Also, OT, true freshman, Kitt O'Brian, 6-6, 300 and R/Fresh Steve Yoder, OG, 6-3, 300 could see playing time

this season, or possibly start.

Wildcat formations will be used in 09, with #1 RB-Lewis, and #2 RB Williams, Paige at QB.

Change to the 4/3 defense last spring.

Unfortunately for us, a defense that can't tackle is still going to have trouble against BSU's running game no matter how dazed the QB is.

I am getting increasingly more and more worried about our defense. Too many reports of bad tackling still being the primary problem with this defense.

I've been reserved in saying this, but I think our LB's are severely overrated. Tackling in the box has to get better and that's all on them. I'm assuming Kylie Hill's conversion to Lber has everything to do with adding quickness, speed, & better tackling to the position.

I've been reserved in saying this, but I think our LB's are severely overrated. Tackling in the box has to get better and that's all on them. I'm assuming Kylie Hill's conversion to Lber has everything to do with adding quickness, speed, & better tackling to the position.

When the whole team can't tackle it's probably not a problem with the players. It's hard to tell if that's the case this year (whole team not tackling well), but it certainly was last year.

Defensive team worries?

DeLoach and his staff are working the defensive team and all defensive players very hard.

The defensive staff is coaching, teaching, and motivating the players.

Check out this mornings Mean Green practice blog.

IMHO, this defensive team will suprise many MG fans. I think the defense is starting to gel!

LB's, and the secondary- are full of play makers now. Depth. Expreience.

DT's Atkinson, and Jackson, both 300 pounders, are tough. These two are becoming stronger and stronger with each practice. Next, our 2 previous starting DT's, Ross and DeSoto, both 295-300, are the DT rotation.

Very solid at DT, with 4- 300 pounders! Holy cow, when was the last time the defense had this many good DT's?

DE's Cantly, AK47, Weber, Owusu-Hemeng, are solid DE players. Cantly will be a star. AK47, is very quick and fast. Weber is big and strong. Owusu-Hemeng, 6-2, 250, is making a statement, and is in the mix for a starting

DE position. Freshmen DE Tyler Washington, 6-1, 221, LaChris Anyiam, 6-4, 285, and DT R/Fresh Joe Hawthorne, 6-4, 270, may not see playing time for the 09 season, but, these 3 are very good defensive players.

From reading the blog, the DT's and DE's are helping each other to set up plays, where one or more players

can break through the OL. I would look for more LB and Saftey blitz packages this season too.

This defensive team is becoming stronger with each practice, and will be ready for the 09 season.

Unfortunately for us, a defense that can't tackle is still going to have trouble against BSU's running game no matter how dazed the QB is.

I am getting increasingly more and more worried about our defense. Too many reports of bad tackling still being the primary problem with this defense.

Sounds like the last few days have been great on d.

I read the "live" practice blog from each practice.

I like this feature very much. Keeps NT fans up to date on what is going on at practice.

The staff runs multiple drills with each practice, and they do focus on tackling- position, foot work, all the fundmentals. DeLoach and Nelson are very, shall I say "encouraging", with the tackling progress.

OL vs DL, 11 vs 11, 7 on 7, and other variations. The LB's and secondary are involed in mutiple

practice formations, drills, and work.

There is alot of hitting going on, focus on technique, wrapping up the ball carrier's- RB's, WR's.

I am looking forward to this afternoon live practice blog!

Sure doesn't sound nice and rosy from the Green Gang blog from last night:

Green Gang: Mid-Camp Report

Don't get me wrong...I haven't seen any of this with my own eyes and hope against hope that the D will indeed "gel" before the BSU game.

Deloach says a lot of the poor tackling is attributed to poor positioning. They hit the film room hard this week and the Green Gang says there is a sizable difference in the D from the Saturday scrimmage to the practices this week.

That writeup reads like it was a review after the scrimmage.

I spent a few minutes catching up on the chats this week. To review:

There was a poster questioning the role of Gilmore on the team. Arguable the team's top NFL prospect is playing 2nd string on the nation's worst defense the last two years. The counter-point was basically his motor is poor; "potential" and "talent" mean you haven't done anything yet.

Cantly is going to spend the next few days holding off the competiton.

It looks like our DTs are beasts (Atkinson and ?)

NFL scouts are watching Cam.

2-back sets..!?

BJ Lewis is the story of the fall camp. Most consistent WR threat we have. Additionally, it looks like Roberson is finally coming around along with several of the other wideouts.

The OU transfer, despite the ruling on his eligibility, is working hard and helping tremendously in practice. Good attitude. He is spinning our DBs in some drills?

My personal opinion: good reads; but I'll believe when I see all this translate to the field in Muncie.

Cardbestfan89 wrote:

its a good thing we have 2 easy games to start.. to get things sorted out... good approach with page.. the only question is our offense. and we have tons of talent so common sept 3!!! ready to be in the stands!!

You read that AK? I bet you do!

I get the feeling that our defense is going to face BSU's ground game the majority of the time. It's time for them to come together and make things right by knocking BSU's two backs on their ass all night long.

Rick

I think Riley throws for 2 TD's and runs for another....UNT will score 30+points against Ball St. This is no time to be conservative. Milk the clock against Alabama.....let's play wide open against Ball St, and Ohio. What ahve we got to lose???

Potentially, two games.

Y'know... Literally speaking. :)