Legalize Marijuana ?

its not. He means we are going to get Abortion in here and see what it thinks of MariHuana (< -- UNT90 says its spelled that way)

The 2008 football season has thoughts on US drug policy? HEY-OH!!!!

• Downvote 1

Ya, I've never seen a teen pot user progress to speed, cocaine, or Herion. That just doesn't happen, right? These things have absolutely no connection? Google gateway drugs.

I've always been skeptical of this one. Sounds eerily like the argument people make try and tie violent video games leading kids to murder.

Personally, not one of my smoking friends has ever done narcotics and they're pretty adamant about keeping it that way. They, in their minds, established a line to not cross. I do, however, have a cousin that skipped over the weed and went straight to them.

Good thread. I'll be keeping my eye on it.

I really don't see the gateway drug argument as an issue in this discussion. Were marijuana to be legalized the drug stigma would be removed, thus negating it's gateway drug effect. Keeping it illegal does nothing but further it's ability to serve as the proverbial "gateway." Again, for an individual under the age of 21 marijuana is much easier to procure than alcohol.

Most people don't get it Drugs being illegal is just an expensive technicality. (Court, prison, DEA, State and Federal funds to fight it) Anybody that wants drugs can easily obtain them.

The war is lost!

Drugs are easy to acquire, most of the time easier then alcohol for those under age.

I am not a fan of illegal drugs but I do know the reality of them, and being illegal is not a deterrent.

Most people don't get it Drugs being illegal is just an expensive technicality. (Court, prison, DEA, State and Federal funds to fight it) Anybody that wants drugs can easily obtain them.

The war is lost!

Drugs are easy to acquire, most of the time easier then alcohol for those under age.

I am not a fan of illegal drugs but I do know the reality of them, and being illegal is not a deterrent.

What do you know you crazy commie hipp...wait...really? Nice.

I really don't see the gateway drug argument as an issue in this discussion. Were marijuana to be legalized the drug stigma would be removed, thus negating it's gateway drug effect. Keeping it illegal does nothing but further it's ability to serve as the proverbial "gateway." Again, for an individual under the age of 21 marijuana is much easier to procure than alcohol.

really? the dank is definitly a gateway drug... but no more than smoking or alcohol.

people are forgetting some of the most probable drugs that pot leads to...prescriptions drugs (pain killers, anti-depressants,...), these make the most sense for those people who smoke and who think coke, meth or heroin are too much of a drug.

really? the dank is definitly a gateway drug... but no more than smoking or alcohol.

If you read my post, I never asserted that it's not a gateway drug.

I guess my question now is, what are the arguments for keeping it illegal? Status Quo? Fear?

I don't think that I have heard many decent points arguing for the continued illegality of Marijuana.

Bingo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090716/ap_on_...marijuana_taxes

Thought this was timely. No need to be financially responsible, just find something new to tax. The things people, or in this case governments, will do for money.

The mere fact that California wants to do this should illuminate the stupidity of this idea.

I saw that article, and it for some reason immediately made me think of Frisco. This place is entirely built on leveraging future revenues of property and retail sales tax. How's that been working out for us?

I guess my question now is, what are the arguments for keeping it illegal? Status Quo? Fear?

Mostly this.

Whatever one's views on the legality of marijuana, the plain fact is that it would be political suicide for most politicians to embrace it. The difficulty is that there are relatively few political benefits to embracing the idea of legalized weed. Unless you have an overwhelming pot-smoking constituency, it won't be worth stirring up a conservative and moderate hornet's nest. Even if one subscribes to the idea that 1) it isn't a gateway drug, 2), is no worse health-wise than tobacco or alcohol, and 3) can be taxed to holy hell to provide revenue, you're still going to run into the twin shears of modern political discourse: reductio ad absurdum and straw men arguments.

Put simply, if you support legalization, you're going to be labeled a hippie lib pothead who can't be trusted with any meaningful decisions, much less elected office. Right or wrong, that will be your calling card, and gives your opponent more than enough rope to hang you. What benefit could there be for a politician for such a cost?

Mostly this.

Whatever one's views on the legality of marijuana, the plain fact is that it would be political suicide for most politicians to embrace it. The difficulty is that there are relatively few political benefits to embracing the idea of legalized weed. Unless you have an overwhelming pot-smoking constituency, it won't be worth stirring up a conservative and moderate hornet's nest. Even if one subscribes to the idea that 1) it isn't a gateway drug, 2), is no worse health-wise than tobacco or alcohol, and 3) can be taxed to holy hell to provide revenue, you're still going to run into the twin shears of modern political discourse: reductio ad absurdum and straw men arguments.

Put simply, if you support legalization, you're going to be labeled a hippie lib pothead who can't be trusted with any meaningful decisions, much less elected office. Right or wrong, that will be your calling card, and gives your opponent more than enough rope to hang you. What benefit could there be for a politician for such a cost?

I can't believe you are calling me a hippie lib pothead, I have never done a drug in my life other then alcohol period, except prescribed drugs. And even then I did not take pain killers.

I feel violated :ph34r:

Mostly this.

I'll do it.

Just give me some time.