Response To Drc Article

I had hoped to be able to attend the Pourhouse function tonight, but found out I can't get off work early enough to make the 2-hour drive. If someone is so inclined and willing to help out those of us who aren't in the area, would you please take your computer and give us a "question by question" account of the discussion by RV if he attends. It would be much appreciated!

The event is advertised as a mixer...it will not be a "come and listen to RV" the whole time event. We are hopeful that he will speak for a few minuets and then "mix" with those present. There is also scheduled to be a short "talk" about the stadium by someone else in the dept....maybe Chris Cannon or Stan Walker...not 100% certain on that. It is not be be a "Coach Dodge Show" type event where everyone just sits and listens and gets a chance for a question or two. It's a Mixer so folks can meet, greet, chat and hear a word or two from RV and others. It's is meant to be a fun and relaxing after work event.

I too hope someone will be able to fill those in who cannot attend. Sorry you cannot make it to the event. Hopefully a real computer whiz can update others who couldn't make it along with you...that "whiz", however, would certainly not be me. I, for one, appreciate your intent to make the drive...sorry you have to work. Thanks for the effort. maybe next time.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The event is advertised as a mixer...it will not be a "come and listen to RV" the whole time event. We are hopeful that he will speak for a few minuets and then "mix" with those present. There is also scheduled to be a short "talk" about the stadium by someone else in the dept....maybe Chris Cannon or Stan Walker...not 100% certain on that. It is not be be a "Coach Dodge Show" type event where everyone just sits and listens and gets a chance for a question or two. It's a Mixer so folks can meet, greet, chat and hear a word or two from RV and others. It's is meant to be a fun and relaxing after work event.

I too hope someone will be able to fill those in who cannot attend. Sorry you cannot make it to the event. Hopefully a real computer whiz can update others who couldn't make it along with you...that "whiz", however, would certainly not be me. I, for one, appreciate your intent to make the drive...sorry you have to work. Thanks for the effort. maybe next time.

GO MEAN GREEN!

So RV will be there 100%? I don't want to grill him w/questions by any means ,but I would like to listen to a statement of some kind. Good chance for him to earn some brownie points

Edited by NT03

I second this. Can we please go back to the rendition before the last rendition?

I think it's amazing a) that it only took a few responses before this thread was completely hi-jacked and the topic quickly became what the jerseys should say and B) how in typical GMG fashion everyone starts arguing about stupid stuff.

I wonder what Eppy4life would have to say about this...

Guys:

I wouldnt worry about the Latest Renderings being 100% Gospel of what the final product is going to look like. I work in Architecture, and I could be wrong, but I'll give you my theory on this.

Those latest architectural renderings were fairly sketchy, not really showing many detailed exterior elevations. These sketches were released JUST before the Spring Game. Now, if you read Rick's email, he states that Design Development is nearing completion, and about ready to start construction documents" The Design Development Stage is where you really explore several ideas of layout, flow, aesthetics, etc. The fact that they are JUST now completing that stage, really tells me one thing. I might be wrong, but I'm willing to bet that those renderings we saw were merely just some "studies" to show the rough idea of how the stadium will be an open horseshoe, open ended at the Athletic Facility, illustrates that the East Side will have to be built into the side of hill, while the West side will be more "full height". The fact that it conveniently didnt show much detail of exterior elevations of the exterior, or closer details of the press/sky boxes, really just says, to me, "Lets put something down on paper to study this, and have to show the fans to kick off the campaign" Not trying to insult it, I'm saying trust me, we do this all the time at our firm. So dont be put off by the look, I'd bet a paycheck that what we saw is only 50% accurate of finished product.

And also, we've all seen the previous model, many loved it. But remember, another architectural firm designed this a LONG time ago. I still think a firm like HKS wont just simply take another design and "rubber stamp" with their name on it.

For all the little faults we all poke at our school when we're frustrated, you have to admit, the construction/development of UNT is pretty impressive. All of the newer buildings that have built on campus in the past 10 years are beautiful, and HKS doesnt do crap work.

Trust the school and HKS on this, they simply won't design something thats embarressing.

Edited by trud1966

There is NO REASON, I repeat NO REASON that Dr. B should allow RV to keep his job if the stadium does not break ground by March 2010. Hell, I'm not sure she should wait that long to can the Pizza Man's Ass.

One man is not responsible for the state of this project. RV has worked his butt off. He cannot help that MOST of the alumni/former students do not give a damn about this university, and their lack of pride shows in the lack of donations to the athletic program. Sorry, but it is sad that we hang our hopes on an athletic fee. In the spring, RV said himself Bama and Penn State don't, their former students step up. It is long past time for our graduates to do so. They would rather complain about what we lack rather than being a part of the solution to get what we should have. Support is not just "donating'", heck at the very least show up and buy a ticket and a coke. Granted RV is not perfect, but the dollars won't flow just because you have another AD. Start winning, they said, and the big donors would step up. 4 conference championships (Yes, Sun Belt but still DIV 1) Where were the big donors? Change coaches, which we did, still waiting for the big donors to fulfill their promise of money because that was done. Get a president who is pro athletics. We have one now, and nobody can argue that Pohl was not supportive of the athletic program. You may have good reason for your opinion, but RV has done more than Helwig or McCain ever thought of doing here. Castiaglone or Dodds could not do much better given the poor history of support here.

One man is not responsible for the state of this project. RV has worked his butt off. He cannot help that MOST of the alumni/former students do not give a damn about this university, and their lack of pride shows in the lack of donations to the athletic program. Sorry, but it is sad that we hang our hopes on an athletic fee. In the spring, RV said himself Bama and Penn State don't, their former students step up. It is long past time for our graduates to do so. They would rather complain about what we lack rather than being a part of the solution to get what we should have. Support is not just "donating'", heck at the very least show up and buy a ticket and a coke. Granted RV is not perfect, but the dollars won't flow just because you have another AD. Start winning, they said, and the big donors would step up. 4 conference championships (Yes, Sun Belt but still DIV 1) Where were the big donors? Change coaches, which we did, still waiting for the big donors to fulfill their promise of money because that was done. Get a president who is pro athletics. We have one now, and nobody can argue that Pohl was not supportive of the athletic program. You may have good reason for your opinion, but RV has done more than Helwig or McCain ever thought of doing here. Castiaglone or Dodds could not do much better given the poor history of support here.

What was missing from those bowl years was a significant, headline grabbing,win (while Baylor was nice, it was Baylor). If we could have registered a win against Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, or any of the other winning BCS programs during those years, you would have seen alums return. When the best you can do is a 27-0 loss to UT in those games, no one other than hardcore fans are going to sit up ad take notice. Thats just how it is, especially in this market.

Guys:

I wouldnt worry about the Latest Renderings being 100% Gospel of what the final product is going to look like. I work in Architecture, and I could be wrong, but I'll give you my theory on this.

Those latest architectural renderings were fairly sketchy, not really showing many detailed exterior elevations. These sketches were released JUST before the Spring Game. Now, if you read Rick's email, he states that Design Development is nearing completion, and about ready to start construction documents" The Design Development Stage is where you really explore several ideas of layout, flow, aesthetics, etc. The fact that they are JUST now completing that stage, really tells me one thing. I might be wrong, but I'm willing to bet that those renderings we saw were merely just some "studies" to show the rough idea of how the stadium will be an open horseshoe, open ended at the Athletic Facility, illustrates that the East Side will have to be built into the side of hill, while the West side will be more "full height". The fact that it conveniently didnt show much detail of exterior elevations of the exterior, or closer details of the press/sky boxes, really just says, to me, "Lets put something down on paper to study this, and have to show the fans to kick off the campaign" Not trying to insult it, I'm saying trust me, we do this all the time at our firm. So dont be put off by the look, I'd bet a paycheck that what we saw is only 50% accurate of finished product.

And also, we've all seen the previous model, many loved it. But remember, another architectural firm designed this a LONG time ago. I still think a firm like HKS wont just simply take another design and "rubber stamp" with their name on it.

For all the little faults we all poke at our school when we're frustrated, you have to admit, the construction/development of UNT is pretty impressive. All of the newer buildings that have built on campus in the past 10 years are beautiful, and HKS doesnt do crap work.

Trust the school and HKS on this, they simply won't design something thats embarressing.

The Athletic Department brought some very detailed elevations, seating charts and stadium floor plans to the mixer Thursday night. The previous renderings of the new design are almost 100% dead on what it will look like. The pressbox side facade is still being decided and some tweaks still to happen but RV said all should be completed by the end of July then they start making official construction drawings.