In The Year 2020

NT03

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist ...

In the Year 2000 ..........

conan%20in%20the%20year%202000.jpg

The answer to the question of which came first, the chicken or the egg, will be answered by an actual eye witness: Larry King.

Edited by UNTFan23

A UNT conference timeline for some who may not know :

1940 : Lone Star

1950 : Gulf Coast Conference

1960 : MVC

1970 : MVC

1980 : D IA Independent

1990 : Southland

2000 : Big West

2010 : SunBelt

2020 : ???????

Seems like we are like nomads

Edited by NT03

Great hypothetical. I can't help but point out this is not a "what conference do you wish we were in".

I think there is a toss-up between CUSA and MWC. But maybe the Belt will have evolved enough that it will be better?

It seems to me that for every step forward CUSA takes, it has an equalizing setback. The MWC provides a broader, less regional option but seems much more stable on-the-field wise.

I just hope in 10 years we have our own shit together (it's getting there!).

Great hypothetical. I can't help but point out this is not a "what conference do you wish we were in".

I think there is a toss-up between CUSA and MWC. But maybe the Belt will have evolved enough that it will be better?

It seems to me that for every step forward CUSA takes, it has an equalizing setback. The MWC provides a broader, less regional option but seems much more stable on-the-field wise.

I just hope in 10 years we have our own shit together (it's getting there!).

Great points Miner! I can't help but wish, so here goes. In our state, the only school amongst the little guys like us (UH, heck even Baylor now, UTEP, Rice, SMU, Texas State as their program grows) that has shown the most potential for the national stage is TCU. They have beaten some good ooc opponents, and have come close to making a case for a BCS bowl bid. Take a dozen plays or so, and they might be the story that Utah is. The best thing is for these schools, and maybe throw Tulsa in, to get together and remake a Southwest Conference. I know we are not competing money wise with Baylor and SMU, but their programs have not exactly been stellar even with the resources they have. But, a Southwest Conference would generate more interest amongst the casual fans from all these schools because people would talk about the games at work, school, church, etc. I go to church here in Denton, and when Kansas State upset Texas last year, a lady wore her K State sweatshirt to church the next day. I just do not think that the casual fans (which are the ones we need filling the seats in our stadium) from our alumni base will ever get excited or care if we beat the Fla. Atlantics, etc and have never talked to one of their fans here that rubbed it in that they beat us. It just does not make for good water cooler talk.

Edited by Green Dozer

Sunbelt

Unless a new regional conference - possibly a CUSA/Sujnbelt/+ - were to emerge after a Big East and possibly western conferences make some changes, an improving Sunbelt will survive. Old timers may not be able to adjust to the FAU, FIU, etc. , but the kids growing up today will not set around moping about a Southwest Conference.

If the MWC ever gets full BCS status you can kiss the WAC, MAC, CUSA, and SBC goodbye out of it. The money grab from big schools and media sleeping together will just get worse. There will be future calls to cull the weak out of the BCS and cap it off. We'd better get our act together ASAP and start moving up the food chain (and be nice to TCU as a possible future travel partner!).

Edited by NT80

If the MWC ever gets full BCS status you can kiss the WAC, MAC, CUSA, and SBC goodbye out of it. The money grab from big schools and media sleeping together will just get worse. There will be future calls to cull the weak out of the BCS and cap it off. We'd better get our act together ASAP and start moving up the food chain (and be nice to TCU as a possible future travel partner!).

You are right. Not everybody thinks the warm fuzzy stories like Boise State, Utah, and soon TCU are good for college football. By that, not the ones who control most of the money. And while there may be a playoff system, it will not be like the NCAA BB Tourney where David has a chance to play and beat Goliath. For example, OU is not going to be thrilled at all to show up at a playoff site like St. Louis and play a Ball St. or Buffalo in the first round. Schools like them will do everything in their power to keep the little guys out of the mix, IMO.

Edited by Green Dozer

You are right, and you can bet the MWC will sell their souls to the BCS if given the chance.

Guest GrayEagleOne

It's true that none of this will happen except that we remain in the Sun Belt. We won't be agressive enough to go anywhere else.

It probably won't ever happen but the best thing for most of the schools involved would be to split the Sun Belt and CUSA along east-west lines. The west would consist of UTEP, Tulsa, SMU, North Texas, Houston, Rice, Louisiana, Tulane, Arkansas State, with Southern Miss or Memphis. I'd also like Louisiana Tech and New Mexico State from the WAC. I didn't include TCU because it would never happen. The east would decide on whether to take the twelve remaining teams or omit two and invite Army and Navy.

That would give fair balance on attendance and strength, especially if the east could get Army and Navy. The problem is that a couple of schools, while not especially weak on the field, have too small budgets and enrollment to be very successful. Understandedly though, they'd want to be included in any realignment and I don't blame them.

This split would result in tremendous savings on travel expense but would require some special dispensation of funds by the NCAA.

The idea of a "new" Southwest Conference is not original with me. It has been bandied about for a couple of years now and needs some serious discussion.

you can bet the MWC will sell their souls to the BCS if given the chance.

And the Sunbelt wouldn't were it in a position to do so? We can all pretend to be holding hands 'round the campfire singing kumbaya, but it's a cutthroat world out there, and every conference and school is only looking out for its own best interest when all is said and done.

Great points Miner! I can't help but wish, so here goes. In our state, the only school amongst the little guys like us (UH, heck even Baylor now, UTEP, Rice, SMU, Texas State as their program grows) that has shown the most potential for the national stage is TCU. They have beaten some good ooc opponents, and have come close to making a case for a BCS bowl bid. Take a dozen plays or so, and they might be the story that Utah is. The best thing is for these schools, and maybe throw Tulsa in, to get together and remake a Southwest Conference. I know we are not competing money wise with Baylor and SMU, but their programs have not exactly been stellar even with the resources they have. But, a Southwest Conference would generate more interest amongst the casual fans from all these schools because people would talk about the games at work, school, church, etc. I go to church here in Denton, and when Kansas State upset Texas last year, a lady wore her K State sweatshirt to church the next day. I just do not think that the casual fans (which are the ones we need filling the seats in our stadium) from our alumni base will ever get excited or care if we beat the Fla. Atlantics, etc and have never talked to one of their fans here that rubbed it in that they beat us. It just does not make for good water cooler talk.

GOOD THING THAT THEY DON'T CARE IF WE BEAT FAU BECAUSE WE NEVER HAVE BEATEN THEM. SCHNELLY OWNS THE MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!

Guest GrayEagleOne

What's the Other votes for ?? No Football ?

No, that would likely be the FCS choice. The Other, in my case, means a new, more regional conference being formed. Right now it's only smoke but maybe fire could erupt some day. If we're to be a part of it we must have the new stadium, wins, and attendance. Improving basketball would be a plus.

No, that would likely be the FCS choice. The Other, in my case, means a new, more regional conference being formed. Right now it's only smoke but maybe fire could erupt some day. If we're to be a part of it we must have the new stadium, wins, and attendance. Improving basketball would be a plus.

split conferences could help to form a new texas conference. it would be southland on steriods.