The two worst calls I have ever seen on the D1

IronMan4

Here are the two I will never forget they were so bad, I am not making this up, it really happend:

ASU ball, they shoot a three that grazes the front of the rim, goes straight down, and into the hands of an ASU plyer. A ref blows the whistle and calls shot clock violation. The ball hit the rim AND there were SIX seconds left on the shot clock!! It went in our favor, but what the hell?!?!

The other was when there was a loose ball on the baseline, and it was ROLLING ON THE LINE, the ref was watching it intently like he was waiting to see if it was gonna be fair or roll foul!!!! I think they gave us the ball, i don't remember, but he watched the ball roll on the line for a good two seconds before some players ran over and touched it and he blew his whistle.

Yeah, what about the one where ASU did run the shot clock out, and NT player grabbed it and went out of bounds (did he call a TO there?)!!! Then during the TO, they had to discuss it in committee to figure out what to do.

After the past 2 games, I think it's safe to say...(drum roll please)...SunBelt Officials SUCK!!! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I concur! The officiating at the four home games I have attended has been the worst I have ever seen. Can we start an email campaign to the conference office re: the lousy officiating? Not only did I see the crap mentioned in previous posts but I also have a general impression that they call a lot of ticky-tacky fouls that would not be called by officials in the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, etc...in other words REAL officials. These officials we get seem to be beginners...especially the tall, white, balding dude we had last night.

The phantom shot clock thing was certainly interesting. The thing that got me was that with 10 minutes gone in the game there were already 15 fouls on the board. I think the guys were trying to break in new whistles or something.

Another note from the game.....wasn't it hilarious to watch the fat ASU fan in the front row getting all worked up? When Scrappy got in front of him and started rubbing his eyes like he was crying I cracked up.

I appreciate what you said, Tony, and agree with you. My point is that the Sunbelt should recruit some officials who do a reasonably competent job and are able to call a consistent game. I've seen that kind before and I think they are out there somewhere. The game is so fast now and the players so quick and agile that it is without question a really tough job; I just want to see a game where I don't remember the officials at all. To me, that is a well-officiated game.

I know you guys don't want to hear this, but the hardest job in sports is Basketball Official. I know I wouldn't want to do it.

I know this, I actually went to referee training for a little bit, but these aren't borderline calls where you say "Hey, theyve done good all night and that call was close, it could have gone either way".

These are the no brainer calls they screwed up. A shot clock violation with 6 six seconds on the shot clock? The ball rolling on the line while the ref looks on?

There are plays where both players are moving fast and everything is a blur and the refs make a call you dont agree with, but you think of how tough a call it was, these are the opposite of that. No excuses for calls like these, especially on the division 1 level.

And notice I did not blame the loss on these officials, and both the calls I cited ended up favoring NT, but that doesn't make it acceptable.