Is Riley Our Starting Qb ?

NT03

Let's see

Most heralded recruit in ages

Little competition

Knows offense as well as anyone

Appears to be playing well

Head Coach's son

Recruited by The University of Texas......Hummmmm.......let me see.......who knows more about football??.......some bloggers on this board or the UT coach?? just a thought. now you can discuss the dicotomy of being recruited as an athlete vs. qb.

OK, before someone else does...I'll say that Riley was not recruited as a QB by UT. That IN NO WAY lessens his value to UNT as a QB nor does it say ANYTHING about his skills at the QB position. This kid knows how to win and he knows how to lead a team from the QB position. I do not think UNT has much to worry about at the QB position with Riley and Tune at #'s 1& 2.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Seems like we should have a much more capable running game than passing game this year. Problem is this is a passing offense. Will adjustments be made? If not, I also see a long season ahead.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

As long as our running game can overcome starting from 5 yards in the backfield we might be ok. Man, I wish there were a solution to this...I just haven't seen one lately.

As long as our running game can overcome starting from 5 yards in the backfield we might be ok. Man, I wish there were a solution to this...I just haven't seen one lately.

Florida's offense

Oklahoma's offense

Texas' offense

Etc., etc., etc.

All run spread offenses that have success running or throwing. Although, they are also led by offensive coordinators with decades of experience at the collegiate level. In the end, that's the solution and it always has been. We're not playing with a full hand of the offensive side of the ball.

Our two main gameplanners are the two Todds, Dodge and Ford. Dodge had two years of I-AA experience 13 years before he was hired; Ford had no collegiate coaching experience whatsoever. Neither has shown the ability to prepare for college defenses. Not even remotely. This year will be no different, except that there will less experience at every skill position but running back - the very position these two will never have the sense enough highlight.

In 2009, we'll have more experienced offensive line coached by a real college coach, and a stable of experience running backs coached by a real college coach. So, what will we do? Have a woefully undersized quarterback throwing the ball to receivers with little or no experience. It will be ugly...and some of you will still wonder why. Even as the two Todds remain and we falter, some of you will still wonder why.

If we are lucky, the experiment will end this fall and we'll have professionals hired all the way around by December. The problem is, as UNT alumni and fans, we are rarely lucky when it comes to football fortunes.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

If we are lucky, the experiment will end this fall and we'll have professionals hired all the way around by December. The problem is, as UNT alumni and fans, we are rarely lucky when it comes to football fortunes.

I would consider a student vote to inact an athletic fee in a horrible economy very good fortune. I'd also consider a public campaign to raise money for that stadium very fortunate, as it appears we have finally exited the "silent phase". Bigger picture.

It's going to be a looooooooooooooooooong season, folks. Last year was bad. The year before was bad. Without a bona fide QB, there's no telling how bad this year will be. Deloach and Nelson are going to go beserk trying to make up for the crappy offense we're about to behold.

So this spring game gave you all you needed to see to deem Riley a failure already?

So this spring game gave you all you needed to see to deem Riley a failure already?

Nope, Lonnie has been in this mode for some time now. Riley could throw 6 TD's in the opening game this fall and UNT could win BIG and Lonnie would still think Riley and Coach Dodge are terrible. Hey, no problem as long as he donates to the new stadium and buys season tickets. You put up your $$$ and you get your say. It's just too bad some folks can't find something to like once in awhile at least.

Having a poll like this is like asking if Fireman Rick will ever take off his lid for a ball game.

This is a slam dunk question.

Dodge is going down with Todd Dodge Jr. at the helm. Or he will keep his job because of Junior.

End of story.

Edited by Dodge2007

I have said what I like - all college coaches on the defensive side of the ball and running special teams. That's not what you want to hear, though. What you want out of me and others is blind faith in Todd Dodge as a coach and his son as a QB at the FBS level. That's not going to happen.

Nothing Todd Dodge has shown thusfar has earned the blind trust of anyone. The on the field product has been horrible, almost without exception, since he's arrived. Further, anyone who believes UT was recruiting Riley as a QB is looney tunes. He's a good athlete and needs to be in a position where he can help this team. QB ain't it. He doesn't have the size nor does he have the arm strength to challenge defenses. They will simply sit on our short routes as they have the past two seasons.

There's nothing earth-shattering or secret about it. The 21 losses over two seasons don't lie. We don't have a coach or offensive coordinator who is fooling opposing defenses. That's fine. Some of us knew it all along. The rest of you simply continue to believe that the impossible can be done. It can't. No matter how nice a guy Todd Dodge or Todd Ford might be personally, they are not cut out for this level of football as coaches. Riley is cut out for some level of it as a player, but not at QB.

The result is predictable - another losing seasons for us, with the defense and special teams giving us any possible chance of improving on last year's two win mark. Then, we wait to see whether or not our athletic department has brains enough to pull the plug and go out and hire college football coaches to run the whole show, not just part of it.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I have said what I like - all college coaches on the defensive side of the ball and running special teams. That's not what you want to hear, though. What you want out of me and others is blind faith in Todd Dodge as a coach and his son as a QB at the FBS level. That's not going to happen.

Nothing Todd Dodge has shown thusfar has earned the blind trust of anyone. The on the field product has been horrible, almost without exception, since he's arrived. Further, anyone who believes UT was recruiting Riley as a QB is looney tunes. He's a good athlete and needs to be in a position where he can help this team. QB ain't it. He doesn't have the size nor does he have the arm strength to challenge defenses. They will simply sit on our short routes as they have the past two seasons.

There's nothing earth-shattering or secret about it. The 21 losses over two seasons don't lie. We don't have a coach or offensive coordinator who is fooling opposing defenses. That's fine. Some of us knew it all along. The rest of you simply continue to believe that the impossible can be done. It can't. No matter how nice a guy Todd Dodge or Todd Ford might be personally, they are not cut out for this level of football as coaches. Riley is cut out for some level of it as a player, but not at QB.

The result is predictable - another losing seasons for us, with the defense and special teams giving us any possible chance of improving on last year's two win mark. Then, we wait to see whether or not our athletic department has brains enough to pull the plug and go out and hire college football coaches to run the whole show, not just part of it.

AMEN. After Saturday with way more talent and more size and experience on the OL, we looked pitiful. Wind is no excuse. Wind is always an issue at our luxury stadium.