Any Of Our Coaches Go To This Thing

Yeah, I saw that. Guess he's still with the "in" crowd among college coaches.

Initially when I first read that, I thought probably not, since it really appears to be assistants and I doubt Todd Ford is there. But then as I thought about it, they might need some help in learning how to put the QB under center, so they might have sent Ford there to learn.

Just can't resist, can you?

Well, I mean, add it up:

-It's a clinic in Texas, where our school is located.

-It's being held by and attended by other coaches either coaching in Texas or with former coaching ties in Texas (Sumlin, Dickey, Dykes, etc.)

-It's about one-back, spread offenses, which we run.

Seems like it would be a slam dunk that we'd at least have a wide receivers coach up there. But, I guess Todd Dodge and his staff have already proven that they don't need any help from anyone else - especially other college and pro coaches running similar offenses. I mean, what could possibly be learned? None of those guys have near the state high school championships that Dodge has.

Well, I mean, add it up:

-It's a clinic in Texas, where our school is located.

-It's being held by and attended by other coaches either coaching in Texas or with former coaching ties in Texas (Sumlin, Dickey, Dykes, etc.)

-It's about one-back, spread offenses, which we run.

Seems like it would be a slam dunk that we'd at least have a wide receivers coach up there. But, I guess Todd Dodge and his staff have already proven that they don't need any help from anyone else - especially other college and pro coaches running similar offenses. I mean, what could possibly be learned? None of those guys have near the state high school championships that Dodge has.

I would also question why none of our coaches were there, unless it is because it has fallen during spring practice. My comment was in regards to this jewel you submitted:

Or, do our guys still go to high school clinics.

Your disdain for Dodge is well documented and bordering on "kicking the dead horse" syndrome. I will ask, why all the hate towards Dodge? Has he personally done something to you? Why not come to the realization that he was either too loyal to some of his SLC coaches or overestimated their ability to coach at this level, has basically cleaned house since his arrival and installed a totally different system than the one that was in place when he arrived? Sure, he made some mistakes, but you don't even give the man a chance to realistically succeed.

You've labeled me as a Dodge lover, or whatever term you used, but that is not true either. I just choose to look at the situation realistically. I think this is the year the turnaround should begin, and if NT performs this year as it has the past two, then something needs to change. You obviously don't agree with this assessment and that is fine with me. The snide remarks and tone that you know so much more about all of this than others on this board is what wears at so many not having a different point of view.

Edited by UNTLifer

Lonnie...you are beginning to sound way too much like a broken record. I think everyone here knows your position on the head coach at UNT. Why not give us all a break and just find another topic for awhile. We can all just assume from this point on that anything positive said would be countered by a negative from you and anything that could be slanted to the negative (such as attending or not attending a coaching clinic) would be so slanted by you.

OK? Can everyone here agree to that and let the lawyer get on to a new topic for at least until the season starts?

Lonnie, you have some excellent points, but they are getting drowned out by all the same old tiring rethoric and negativity toward the program. Why not try a differerent line for awhile. I would love to read about something you like for awhile as you do seem to post some good stuff.

Just asking.. :flowers::kiss:

Lonnie...you are beginning to sound way too much like a broken record. I think everyone here knows your position on the head coach at UNT. Why not give us all a break and just find another topic for awhile. We can all just assume from this point on that anything positive said would be countered by a negative from you and anything that could be slanted to the negative (such as attending or not attending a coaching clinic) would be so slanted by you.

OK? Can everyone here agree to that and let the lawyer get on to a new topic for at least until the season starts?

Lonnie, you have some excellent points, but they are getting drowned out by all the same old tiring rethoric and negativity toward the program. Why not try a differerent line for awhile. I would love to read about something you like for awhile as you do seem to post some good stuff.

Just asking.. :flowers::kiss:

Pot, meet kettle.

And, you get drowned out by the same old tiring rhetoric and positivity towards a program spiraling downward. You may chose to see 2-10 and 1-11 seasons as progress. Others here do not. You see it the way you see it, other see it differently. There's nothing wrong with that. You can be UNT's PR machine all day long, but at the end of the day, until we are winning - or, at this point, even competing - it means nothing.

Unfortunately for you, the current weight of evidence all around this thing is that Todd Dodge doesn't know what he's doing. It's up to him to prove otherwise. It's not up to us to simply take your word or his at face value after the two seasons of the worst beatings in the school's history.

If he had improved the teams even as much as FIU's second year coach did in 2008, things would be different. They're not. They were as horrid as we were in 2007 and improved greatly in 2008. The beating FIU gave us simply shows the gap we face within our own conference.

As it stands, Dodge took a 2-10 team in 2007 and made it worse in 2008. If he wants respect, he'll have to do what every other coach in the country does and earn it with the product he puts on the field. Nothing said on a message board will change that. It was a huge gamble to hire him in the first place - and one that doesn't look anywhere near like it wil payoff.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

Wow, how interesting... I am in no way surprised that would be the substance your reply. Just wanted to lay it out there for you. Your reply is simply a repeat of the same tired old negativity...anyone on the board NOT know UNT's record the last two years? OK, let's all together now, so Lonnie will know we all KNOW...UNT won 3 games in the last two years! Wow...that was a news flash!

Anyway, I do enjoy what you say...between all the repititions of the same tired old lines..... :bangin:;)

Pot, meet kettle.

And, you get drowned out by the same old tiring rhetoric and positivity towards a program spiraling downward. You may chose to see 2-10 and 1-11 seasons as progress. Others here do not. You see it the way you see it, other see it differently. There's nothing wrong with that. You can be UNT's PR machine all day long, but at the end of the day, until we are winning - or, at this point, even competing - it means nothing.

Unfortunately for you, the current weight of evidence all around this thing is that Todd Dodge doesn't know what he's doing. It's up to him to prove otherwise. It's not up to us to simply take your word or his at face value after the two seasons of the worst beatings in the school's history.

If he had improved the teams even as much as FIU's second year coach did in 2008, things would be different. They're not. They were as horrid as we were in 2007 and improved greatly in 2008. The beating FIU gave us simply shows the gap we face within our own conference.

As it stands, Dodge took a 2-10 team in 2007 and made it worse in 2008. If he wants respect, he'll have to do what every other coach in the country does and earn it with the product he puts on the field. Nothing said on a message board will change that. It was a huge gamble to hire him in the first place - and one that doesn't look anywhere near like it wil payoff.

Spoken like a true lawyer. We get it. You're a lawyer and know more than the rest of us.

Not sure why I choose to argue with a brick wall, but there is more to the situation than the record of the last two years. Nobody is please with the result on the field, but many also understand what needed to be fixed and that this wasn't going to be an easy transition. I think all anyone is asking is that you give the man a chance to succeed and look beyond the record when judging the direction of the program. That doesn't mean I, nor anyone else, will be pleased with season after season of what we have experienced the last two years. It means that some fundamental changes needed to be made to the culture of the program and the result of these changes was two years of what we all just witnessed.

. It means that some fundamental changes needed to be made to the culture of the program and the result of these changes was two years of what we all just witnessed.

What are the fundamental changes that you keep stating?

Less drugs?

Fewer Players in jail?

Fewer players leaving team?

What are the fundamental changes that you keep stating?

Less drugs?

Fewer Players in jail?

Fewer players leaving team?

Being a player's parent, you know as well as I do that DD let the players have the "run of the house" while he was the head coach.

Then please expand on your comments because you've been hinting at this for months.

I'm not going to claim anything or pick a side here, except some basic observation seems to spell that things are not any better.

Not an indictment on the players, but so many failed the drug test and we do not know what, if anything, was done except that Dodge through them under the public bus. PHSCoach is correct that we really do not know what is going on behind the scenes and cannot blindly assume that we are now drug free and rid of all behavioral mischief. That people come in here and claim first hand knowledge, and then contradict themselves only validates the need to let be.

And I don't think it's hard to miss the mass exodus of players we've had the last 2 years.

As for jail, all I remember from the DD era was that he was a player's coach. We had our flaws and incidents (I remember one in a parking lot (and a Plasma TV gone bye bye?!)). 2 years in this tightfisted regime and I don't get the feeling that it is better.

**edit: of course, perception is all relative. It only compounds any panic around here lately when you don't have many wins to celebrate. Conversly, it's probably easier to forget DD's flaws when you're winning four straight titles.

Instead of being critical of the behind-the-scenes of both regimes, which no one can really prove/disprove, why don't we judge (keeping with the lawyer theme today) what we've witnessed: the 3-21 product on the field.

I hope next year is better and we regain the sparkling clean momentum that Dodge had upon first hire.

Edited by greenminer

Wow, how interesting... I am in no way surprised that would be the substance your reply. Just wanted to lay it out there for you. Your reply is simply a repeat of the same tired old negativity...anyone on the board NOT know UNT's record the last two years? OK, let's all together now, so Lonnie will know we all KNOW...UNT won 3 games in the last two years! Wow...that was a news flash!

Anyway, I do enjoy what you say...between all the repititions of the same tired old lines..... :bangin:;)

Here is what confuses me so much - if you don't agree with, or like, or for that matter are tired of what some think Lonnie posts all the time, WHY do you continually read his posts? Seriously, some of you need to STOP reading his posts because you get so worked up about it. Some of you will NEVER really read or SERIOUSLY ponder what he says because you want to believe that things are getting better (very, very little proof at all of this, if any) so just STOP reading his posts.

On top of all that, if people like me and Lifer aren't debating, the forum breaks down into poring over ULa-La's 2009 schedule and the latest, updated spring roster postings.

I'm dissapointed that this offseason has yet to present a quality Green Helmet or New Logo on the Helmet/Field thread? What is GMG coming to?