Bid To Other Postseason Tournament Odds

CMJ

Okay, we're not gonna get into the NCAA or the NIT.

NIT used to really look at attendance as an indicator, and then when the NCAA took it over they really started focusing on the RPI in their selections(much more than the NCAA selection committee). We were 123 going into the game last night, and tho we may have actually climbed a spot or two, just because WKU was rated so high, that's obviously not that great.

The CBI is all about schools hosting that can get big crowds. They require like a 50-60K payment to host a game, so they want schools who will dish that out. Obviously we wouldn't - so the best we can hope for is a road game that is relatively close to keep expenses down and maybe allow some fans to travel to. I remember Houston last year made the semifinals - and I believe Penders got some sort of deal where he didn't have to play a home game until then because he wanted to save money.

Anyways, this even more newfangled CIT appears to be focusing on schools not in the Power leagues. Their guidelines say they'll try and get most of their teams from schools from confernces that have 50% or leass of their league playing in other tournaments. Not sure what kind of pay in there is for that tournament, but maybe it wouldn't be as much as the CBI.

Anyways, I'd give our odds of getting in somewhere at about 20%.

Edited by CMJ

Anyways, I'd give our odds of getting in somewhere at about 20%.

With three tournaments, NIT, CBI & CIT, looking for teams and the NCAA's taking "the top" 64/65, why do you put our chances so low of getting an invite to one of them with our RPI in the 120's?

That along with the fact I don't see us wanting to host a game. In the CBI the fee is so high we'd almost certainly lose money...not sure what the fee would be for the CIT, but I assume something similar - perhaps even more because the CBI also has some TV money(and online watching fees, but it IS a quality stream, no JumpTV here)...not sure what kind of revenue streams the CIT will have. They might go entirely with gate revenue, which means we'd priced out I'd imagine.

I don't know...we'll see I guess.

I would think that we should aggressively pursue any form of postseason play, even if it isn't the most prestigious tournament or would lose the school money. At this stage in the program's development I think any bid would be a great sign of growing national respect and visibility. Granted, it wouldn't make front page news, but I think it's the type of baby step from which we could really benefit.

I would think that we should aggressively pursue any form of postseason play, even if it isn't the most prestigious tournament or would lose the school money. At this stage in the program's development I think any bid would be a great sign of growing national respect and visibility. Granted, it wouldn't make front page news, but I think it's the type of baby step from which we could really benefit.

It would make the front page of the NT Daily!

If we can't host, can't make money on it, and play in some new fangled alphabet soup of fringe tournaments that crowns the 128th best team in America all the while never even making a paragraph of news in the back of the sports section usually reserved for male enhancement ads, why do it?

Listen, I mean this in the sincerest way; what you have in the above paragraph is some of your best writing.

They require like a 50-60K payment to host a game

If that is the total cost, that is not bad. After reading all the posted articles about the price of guaranteed games over the years...50-60K sounds like about the going rate to bring in a good mid-major for a guaranteed home game.

If the whole 50-60K goes to CBI, surely the home team would have to at least pay the expenses of the visiting team and probably a guarantee also. That could be expensive.

Where is Ark State fan? He probably knows all the pros and cons.