Sbc Recruiting

I swung over to Hilltopper Haven last night and the top thread was dedicated to their most recent signing...a kid named Terrance Boyd, a 6'5" 230 forward from San Diego who is a four star Rivals rated recruit and grades out at 93 on ESPN (to put that in perspective, Jacob Holman, our lone freshman recruit whom we are all excited about grades at 80). Add that to two three star, high 80s recruits in wings William Green and Jordan Swing, the combo guard from Argyle Caden Dickerson, a 6'8" 270 high school forward and a skilled Euro forward sitting out this season after transferring from NJIT and Ken McDonald has really pieced together an impressive recruiting class...especially considering Slaughter, Evans, Kerusch, Sally and Pettigrew all return next season...they could be really scary.

So I started checking the commit lists for our conference mates...Mike Jarvis has the starts of a nice haul for FAU 9all freshman so far), but they're losing alot this season and it may take him a year or two (assuming he stays). John Brady has added a three star, 87 graded forward in Brandon Peterson who will work in the frontcourt next to Oklahoma State transfer Montavious Adams next season...as well as a three star shooting guard. UALR has nabbed a nice shooter and a couple of big JUCOs...USA is looking to rebuild its entire frontcourt in one recruiting class, and did so by stealing two Texas forwards in Augustine Rubit and Javier Carter, both of who we had offers on (Holman is a better fit in my opinion for our system and I think has a higher ceiling)...MTSU has a nice class of mostly freshmen, but once if Kermit Davis is fired they may all bolt.

I'm really not sure of the point of my post...probably mostly a penalty kill as I fight off last nights debauchary so I can make it up and down the court in about 20 minutes...but having seen the Boyd signing and thinking of a Kerusch, Pettigrew, Boyd rotation at the 3/4, yikes...and then seeing what other coaches are pulling in right now I just felt I should express a bit of concern.

Don't read this as panic...first off, JJ has a history of questionable early signings (Ben Knox), but finding some real gems late in the recruiting process (Calvin Watson, Josh White)...and I'm confident he'll do it again. Secondly, we don't really need star power...ours is here and in place for the next two seasons...though that too could be said for WKU. Just something to think about.

Awkward dismount

According to multiple sources, ESPNU 100 shooting guard Terrence Boyd has verbally committed to Western Kentucky. The 6-foot-5 Boyd, who transferred to San Diego High last summer, has not played in a high school game in the last two years because of eligibility issues. He also had interest from Oregon State, Connecticut, Pittsburgh and other high majors but decided on the Hilltoppers after visiting the school last weekend.

I'm just saying it's hard for me too wrapped up in recruiting rankings or how many stars a kid has by his name. I want to see how he performs in D1. How many supposedly super talented teams flame out every year? And how many kids who might not have been that highly recruited become great players?

Hell Duke gets a boatload of McDonald's All-Americans every year, normally one of the top 10 classes in the country, but they haven't made the Sweet 16 in like four years(and I know judging a team just by the tournament is grossly unfair because of matchups, etc... I was only showing that what you see on paper doesn't necessarily mean anything).

I'm just saying it's hard for me too wrapped up in recruiting rankings or how many stars a kid has by his name. I want to see how he performs in D1. How many supposedly super talented teams flame out every year? And how many kids who might not have been that highly recruited become great players?

Hell Duke gets a boatload of McDonald's All-Americans every year, normally one of the top 10 classes in the country, but they haven't made the Sweet 16 in like four years(and I know judging a team just by the tournament is grossly unfair because of matchups, etc... I was only showing that what you see on paper doesn't necessarily mean anything).

You're comparing NT basketball to Duke Basketball :lol::lol::lol::lol: . This program hasn't even won it's 1,000th game yet and Duke is a tournament lock every year for the past 20 years. I admire your dedication to the program, but sprinkle in a little realism with it.

You're comparing NT basketball to Duke Basketball :lol::lol::lol::lol: . This program hasn't even won it's 1,000th game yet and Duke is a tournament lock every year for the past 20 years. I admire your dedication to the program, but sprinkle in a little realism with it.

I'm not comparing US to Duke at all? I'm showing recruiting rankings don't mean jack. It's alot easier to use a Big Name school as an example of busts or whatever because I don't follow Siena's recruiting rankings. :P

Maybe in two to three years I can use our football team as an example(tho a different sport) since last offseason we had such a great recruiting class - the best in the SBC. We'll see if that pans out shall we.

(And btw - Duke did miss the tournament within the last 20 years, the '94-'95 season, but thanks for playing.)

Edited by CMJ

Seems to me, given the success of our competitors' recruiting efforts, that we should just give up basketball for the foreseeable future. Not only is the sky falling, so are the basketballs. Have you ever noticed that all the geniuses are 100 miles away or farther?

Seems to me, given the success of our competitors' recruiting efforts, that we should just give up basketball for the foreseeable future. Not only is the sky falling, so are the basketballs. Have you ever noticed that all the geniuses are 100 miles away or farther?

Hmmm, most everyone who is being critical(like Greenbat) is closer than 100 miles.

Edited by CMJ

I want a do-over on this thread...

Shed some light on me here. If you go to the ESPN link i posted earlier and go to the 2007 class most of the top players who signed are not on the current roster. What happended to these guys ?

Will Coleman , UALR @ 76

Jamal Owens , FAU @ 81

John Holland, FIU @ 73

Leon Powell, MTSU @ 82

Josh Sain, MTSU @ 78

Keith Dodd, MTSU @ 76

Broderick Gilchrest @ 76

Jamar Moore @ 80

Am I misssing something or is the site wrong ? Ony one of MTSU's class is still on board.

Edited by NT03

Shed some light on me here. If you go to the ESPN link i posted earlier and go to the 2007 class most of the top players who signed are not on the current roster. What happended to these guys ?

Will Coleman , UALR @ 76

Jamal Owens , FAU @ 81

John Holland, FIU @ 73

Leon Powell, MTSU @ 82

Josh Sain, MTSU @ 78

Keith Dodd, MTSU @ 76

Broderick Gilchrest @ 76

Jamar Moore @ 80

Am I misssing something or is the site wrong ? Ony one of MTSU's class is still on board.

I know Owens left mid season his freshman year...he was one of FAU's highest ranked prospects ever to sign...I don't think Powell, Coleman, or Holland ever made it to their respective schools, NQ's more than likely. Sain, Dodd and Gilchrist all played sparingly throughout the last two seasons at MTSU...Sain and Dodd redshirted in 07...I think Gilchrist played 2 seasons, but they all saw how stocked the MTSU roster was for this season (or thought it was) and decided to transfer out.

Some of these 09 kids will probably end up as non-qualifiers or not make it to campus for some reason or other too...happens every year

A good team is not created by how many "stars" a coach can get. It is about having guys who know their roles and can produce in those roles. Next year we won't have very many stars but if we can get that point gaurd who can produce shots for other players we will be the best in the Belt. If not and if WKY can live up to its potential then heck ya they will be scary, 07-08 scary.

I know Owens left mid season his freshman year...he was one of FAU's highest ranked prospects ever to sign...I don't think Powell, Coleman, or Holland ever made it to their respective schools, NQ's more than likely. Sain, Dodd and Gilchrist all played sparingly throughout the last two seasons at MTSU...Sain and Dodd redshirted in 07...I think Gilchrist played 2 seasons, but they all saw how stocked the MTSU roster was for this season (or thought it was) and decided to transfer out.

Some of these 09 kids will probably end up as non-qualifiers or not make it to campus for some reason or other too...happens every year

Thanks for the info. The only player I recognized was Leon Powell. After a little research he is at Indiana Hills CC

Hmmm, most everyone who is being critical(like Greenbat) is closer than 100 miles.

You correct CMJ. According to MapQuest.com I'm only 54.98 miles away from Denton. But if I'm going to spend a total estimated driving time of 1 hour 7 minutes to get to Denton and another total estimated driving time of 1 hour 7 minutes to get back home I expect to right to be critical of the product that goes on the floor.

While you are 1,396.8 miles away from Denton according to MapQuest.com. I would think that you would be even more critical of the product on the floor. I mean if you can afford to spend a total estimated driving time of 20 hours 34 minutes each way for a team that is just a mid-tier performer in its conference then I'm glad for you. But I expect more out of my university. I'm glad you are willing to settle for an NCAA Tournament berth twice every 20 years then more power to you.

I would like the program to be a player in the NCAA Tournament every season or at least have a program that has a shot at receiving a tournament bid if it doesn't win the conference tournament. I'm glad I have higher expectations for the program than you.

I will agree my opinions are critical, and I'm sorry that you them as negative.

You know GreenBat, not many schools in the Non Power Leagues make the Big Dance every year without winning their conference tournament. About the only one I can think of that has the last decade or so would be Gonzaga.

But, my post was refering to the fact that most of the people being critical of recruiting, and thus the "geniuses" were 100+ miles away. I was simply making the case that it was not so.

Edited by CMJ