The Snake Pit Sucks

UNTflyer

I was really excited about this game, but I'm glad we don't normally play in this arena.

With the front row being the only entrance/exit, there was a constant stream of people walking in and out along the front row. We tried to stand along the front rail, but with the non-stop traffic and the angry students and old folks yelling at us to sit down I decided to come home and listen to the 2nd half.

I have to say...it was loud as hell on the radio.

Musta really been crazy with the bleachers.

It was definitely loud... we had fun, but we were on the front row and constantly, and I mean constantly, had the game interrupted to let people through....fun for a night, but I want my Super Pit back....

I sat in the middle of the bleachers. I didn't have as bad an experience as the the rest of the people in this thread. I was on the edge of the Pit Crew folks and the old folks. It was rather entertaining to watch the old folks trying to get the Pit Crew to sit down.

I thought there was a great atmosphere for the game...the band was awesomely loud, and the fans got very loud at some points...especially when Howerton went on his run.

But yeah, I would hate it if every game was played there. But for one night, the Snake Pit seemed really special. When I look back at the 5 years of UNT basketball I've been able to watch, this night will be a memory that will stick out in my mind.

Edited by MarkCiz

Be nice to the old pit...it had its claws removed when they took out the side court bleachers.. Put those bleachers back, add 3200 people and you have a hell of a venue for 'homer basketball.' The old pit has hosted a lot more nationally ranked teams than the super pit...and we beat some of them, which is more than you can say for the super pit. The old girl just wasn't the same tonight. Sorry you newbies did not get the full 'treatment' from the old pit.

put the other bleachers back in, fill it up, bring in a nationaly ranked top 5 team from theMissouri Valley conference and try to hear as everyone stomps and yells for a solid first half as the press does a number on the visitors. No sitting down in those games and a hell of a headache. The after the game party cured it later on.

I agree that had this been done right and temporary bleachers brought back in on the floor like it used to be I would be suffering from a headache right now. Very loud for the amount of people in there. The university lost a great chance to make this a special throw back night. And does anyone know why the south floor seats were folded out of the way? There's 200 more people that could have been sitting on the floor right there?

Overall a pretty fun night but my one concern was the negligent decision to intentionally block the north exits, leaving 600 to 800 some odd people left with ONE exit(south) to get out in case of an emergency. I took the 4 year old to the rest room and went to the north exit only to find out from the kids assigned to sit and block the stair case that led down to the north exit that I couldn't go down because that was the way to the referee's dressing room. This is true, it does lead right past the door that goes to the referee's lockerroom, but it also leads to one of the only two exits for that side of the entire building. I told them I didn't want to go to the referee's lockerroom, I needed to go down and outside and around back to the south end to take the 4 year old to the restroom. That was the only restroom available to us that I know of? To which I was told that I would have to go back to the south end through all the people standing and blocking the walkway. With that, I told them if they had a problem with it to go get someone in charge because I was going down to the exit in that stair way, and that's what I did. I thought for about 2 seconds of looking for the fire marshall at that point. You just can't do that with that amount of people in such a small place. If we ever do this again this needs to be addressed. Assign someone in front of the referee's locker room if you have to, but don't block and prevent an entire exit, one of only two that exist, to accomplish this.

Oh, and by the way, for those of you who own season basketball tickets, check out the ones for the New Mexico State game. HOOK' EM HORNS!!!!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I was really excited about this game, but I'm glad we don't normally play in this arena.

With the front row being the only entrance/exit, there was a constant stream of people walking in and out along the front row. We tried to stand along the front rail, but with the non-stop traffic and the angry students and old folks yelling at us to sit down I decided to come home and listen to the 2nd half.

Were you by the group with the wht/green Cat in the Hat hats? If so I was right behind the guy that was screaming at you guys to sit down...ended up ruining my night since I then really had to sit down.

Were you by the group with the whit/green Cat in the Hat hats? If so I was right behind the guy that was screaming at you guys to sit down...ended up ruining my night since I then really had to sit down.

i was the fat guy in the white/green cat in the hat hat...that was are group of crazed eagles....im also a dam good dancer which everyone got to witness....it was fun once we moved away from the people yelling at us....which sucked cause im an RA and the two guys yelling at us were other hall directors that know my boss...which is why i complied insted of just telling them off!

Edited by bstnsportsfan3

Johnny Jones on the postgame show was very high on the atmosphere in the old barn. It wouldn't shock me at all if he has 1 game a year there as long as he's our head coach. I mean, obviously this is just my guess, but he seemed really pleased with the experiment.

Edited by CMJ

Scrappy came over and made her put on a Mean Green shirt over her ut one. :)

Is that all it takes to get a new Mean Green shirt? Then I'm going to Walgreen's and buying me a $5.99 UT shirt. I'll wear it to the game, get the shirt I really want from Scrappy, and use the leftover UT rag to clean up when my dog pees in the house.

Sue.

I thought going to the Snake Pit would be fun. But I, like many of you, have really gotten used to the modern "ness" of the Super Pit. I have no desire to ever play there again. I'm wondering abut the reason, the real reason we played there anyway. I think the University got a fat pay check for renting out the Colseium for the robot competition. I think the retro thing was just a cover up. I can't imagine UT being bumped form the Super Drum or A & M vacating Reed to play a game in G. Rollie.

Give me my great seats on row 2. Where no one is more than 4 or 5 seats from an aisle.

I now remember why the Colseium was built in the first place. The Snake Pit sucks.