It Will Only Get Better

mathman

First let me say that I am an SMU supporter. I know many of you are not crazy about us and I can understand that. I just wanted to let you know that there are some of us over there that are pulling for you guys to get past all the problems you have been having. Believe me when I say that we can identify with that. When Todd Dodge was hired, I thought it was a great hire and still do. He is an exceptional recruiter and has shown that with some of the guys he has brought in. I think it was a mistake on his part to not bring in some coaches with a college coaching background but it was his call. I still think he will get the job done there and UNT will turn it around. I really think UNT is a sleeping giant that can have an outstanding program. Passing the stadium vote was huge. Just hope the administration doesn't mess around and have a lot of delays. Good luck in the rest of your games. You guys deserve better than your getting.

I root for the Ponies if they are not playing NT and I always have. I hope we get past this problem as well...although I am not sure how I feel for Dodge at this point. I think you guys are headed in the right direction with June Jones. Some may say it was a hefty price to pay for him but I think for what the state of SMU footbal was/is I thought he was the perfect hire. Cant wait til 2014 when we resume the series.

Your first year of Junes is so much like our first year of Dodge - close calls, visible improvement and improved young players. I think you guys are on the right path, but I am amazed at how many of the posts and questions on Ponyfans look like the ones we have here (minus the whole drug bust thing of course.)

Here's hoping we both have our battle stations operational by 2014 and at least one of our current coaches is around to see that game.

*Unless they continue to fail

**Oh, and give Justin Willis a tug and a hug from us

Mathman, don't make me like you and be polite to your Ponies!!! :) but thanks for the kind words. It sure is painful now.

I know the pain. Believe me. I was in the Mustang Club before the Death Penalty. You guys have enjoyed a lot of success the past decade. I guess that is why it hurts you guys so much. We are almost numb to it over here, I guess. And I am not just a casual SMU fan. Flew to Lubbock for the Tech game and wife and I went to Annapolis for the Navy game. You know the results of both. I just really think Dodge can do this. But he is going to have to get some experienced D1 coaches on his staff to help him.

Offtopic, but Greenalums, what, pray tell, is a flying worm?

I feel honored to have been asked that question. Well, a long time ago (about 1972 or '73) there was a bar napkin, Hayden Fry and Rick Spears all together at one time, so the legend goes. Born from that, was a characture style figure of the Eagle called the Flying Worm which became the Eagle logo of the time. It wouldn't last too long but it did not go away before it collected many of us "Oldtimers" as fans. Mostly because of the nostalgia but maybe because of the Fry Mean Green that became the color. I played football, a cheerleader, a wrestler and a Talon under the Flying Worm. That's why you will hear the new Eagle logo referred to as the Son of Worm.

Best helmet we ever had!

We even had a flying-worm hand sign. Scroll down to bottom of the article....

http://www.unt.edu/northtexan/archives/w03/feedback.htm

I had one of those helments until I left it in storage long enough for someone else to find it. Beth was my cheerleader partner. Ahh...those were the days! Love it now though!!

Offtopic, but Greenalums, what, pray tell, is a flying worm?

:blink::unsure::huh::ph34r:

Thanks for the kind words mathman. It dont think its so much as we hate SMU persay, just some of the douche fans that think they are better than us, God, and everything he created.

You sir, are obviously not one of those :D