Substance Abuse

Charlie NT 73

I have completed a upper management course/siminar on substance

abuse. During this program, a interesting fact was presented.

Many studies from leading health organizations, and the federal

health organization, have determined that in any population,

business, or any group, that 1 in 5 people have a problem

with alcohol, street drugs, and or prescription drugs.

Within my company that I work for, this ratio holds true.

We have found positive substance use or abuse in the same

number of employee's. The point is, substance abuse is in

every population, whether at school, church, business, or a

football team.

I would like to see Bob Stoops at Oklahoma, Mack Brown at

Texas, Stockstill at MTSU, Snelly at FAU, Blakeney at Troy,

or any college coach in America, have all of their players

tested at the same time. These coaches will not dare do this

because they would be afraid of what the results would prove!

Newsflash-

Because Mack Brown and Bob Stoops already know what the result would be, it would be a moot point. Plus, they already know, legally, it's a low-level misdemeanor to be caught with a blunt. So, they realize what a waste of time and resources testing everyone would be.

Also, since they're teams aren't 0-8 and getting smoked by the likes of Florida International, they don't need an excuse for not being able to do their job. And, I doubt either of them would throw their own players under the bus so publicly anyway.

Newsflash-

Because Mack Brown and Bob Stoops already know what the result would be, it would be a moot point. Plus, they already know, legally, it's a low-level misdemeanor to be caught with a blunt. So, they realize what a waste of time and resources testing everyone would be.

Also, since they're teams aren't 0-8 and getting smoked by the likes of Florida International, they don't need an excuse for not being able to do their job. And, I doubt either of them would throw their own players under the bus so publicly anyway.

EXACTLY!

The studies I saw during the seminar I completed, reflects

any group of people. At work, at church, at school, does

not matter where. The point was 1 in 5 people have a

substance addiction, or currently using dope or alcohol

on a regular basis.

So if you had a company of 100 employee's, and all 100

were tested at the same time, studies would indicate

20 of these 100 would test positive for substance use.

I am in the freight transportaion business, and I can

assure you, we test all of our drivers on a regular basis.

From what I have seen first hand, the 1 in 5 ratio is

right on with the health, and insurance organizations

studies. With my company, if a employee fails his 1st

test, he gets a second testing, one time only. Fail the

second follow up test, or another random selection

test, that employee is fired on the spot.

Some have. Football scholarships are not the only type of scholarship you can attend school on.

And, lets' go further. If a professor is paid to teach, shouldn't he or she be tested as well.

You want to try to go down that road? Good luck...especially at UNT.

Most employers, and I would assume North Texas is included, mandate a drug screen prior to hiring. They can also test in the future randomly if there is reason to test. Obviously Dodge had a reason to test the team.

I don't care if smoking pot is a misdemeanor or not, it is wrong and these young men, like it or not, are role models to a lot of young children in the community. Your excuses for why Brown and Stoops don't test are ridiculous. You test because it is the right thing to do. Dodge didn't throw anyone under the bus. The kids did it to themselves when they chose to participate in recreational drug use, so they get to suffer the consequences. I would really respect a player that chose to come forward, admit their mistake and commit to not doing it again.

Your analogy sounds like the student, when confronted about a failing grade from his/her parent states that the teacher gave me an F. Nope, you earned that F and are looking to place blame with others. Our society is full of people not wanting to take responsibility for their actions and people lining up to defend them or to look the other way.

They test randomly, as everyone does. They don't test everyone on the roster all in the same year. So, the point is not moot.

And, because both have had their share of dope-smokers, especially Brown, and not resorted to testing the whole team, the point is all the more salient. They work within the framework of what is already done. And, it works for them.

Dodge is different. He shouldn't be coaching college football and needs a good excuse for his poor performance. This won't give it to him, but, hey...against all rational judgement he did it anyway.

They test randomly, as everyone does. They don't test everyone on the roster all in the same year. So, the point is not moot.

And, because both have had their share of dope-smokers, especially Brown, and not resorted to testing the whole team, the point is all the more salient. They work within the framework of what is already done. And, it works for them.

Testing, or should I say not testing, because you are afraid of what the results might be and what it might do to your team is not the right way to handle it. You test to find out the depth of the problem, to help the young person(s) involved and to hopefully get rid of the problem, not to nab a few and continue winning games. This isn't about games, this is about young people using drugs.

Dodge is different. He shouldn't be coaching college football and needs a good excuse for his poor performance. This won't give it to him, but, hey...against all rational judgement he did it anyway.

Other colleges test - they just do a better job of keeping it from going public.

Brown, Stoops, yes all college's test players. One here, one there.

I would want these coaches to test their entire team, at the same

time. Yes, Brown and Stoops already know how the test results

would turn out. These coaches do not have the balls to test all

of their kids at the same time. I bet every coach in America

is following this story, along with all school adminstators.

I commend Coach Dodge, for wanting to help these kids, first and

foremost. Coach Dodge wants every one of his players to be

successful, on and off the field. Coach Dodge did not order

the testing because the team is 0-8. Coach Dodge ordered these

tests to protect the health of these kids, to give these kids

guidence with their lives, and to show he will not tolerate

drug use. Coach Dodge pledged to the parents of these players

that he will take care of their kids, and be their parent while

these kids are at North Texas. Looks like to me Coach Dodge

is handling his team the right way again!

This testing is a first in NCAA history, where the entire team was

tested at the same time. I would like for the NCAA to create a

law requiring all colleges test all of their athletes at the same

time at least one time per year.

Most employers, and I would assume North Texas is included, mandate a drug screen prior to hiring. They can also test in the future randomly if there is reason to test. Obviously Dodge had a reason to test the team.

I don't care if smoking pot is a misdemeanor or not, it is wrong and these young men, like it or not, are role models to a lot of young children in the community. Your excuses for why Brown and Stoops don't test are ridiculous. You test because it is the right thing to do. Dodge didn't throw anyone under the bus. The kids did it to themselves when they chose to participate in recreational drug use, so they get to suffer the consequences. I would really respect a player that chose to come forward, admit their mistake and commit to not doing it again.

Your analogy sounds like the student, when confronted about a failing grade from his/her parent states that the teacher gave me an F. Nope, you earned that F and are looking to place blame with others. Our society is full of people not wanting to take responsibility for their actions and people lining up to defend them or to look the other way.

And you live on what planet? :lol: Seriously, we all preach the lodi dodi stuff, but lets face reality here folks. If this team was a bonafide sun belt title contendor, I'd have a really hard time believing these tests would've been administered.

Like you've never tried hiding a bad grade from your parents. :lol::rolleyes:

So, Got 5 on it, you are saying that if North Texas was a SBC

contender, these test would not have been authorized?

Are you saying, that if North Texas was 8-0, and Coach

Dodge suspected drug use on his team, that he would

look the other way?

Any coach of character would address the drug problem

immmediately. Do you think Nick Saban would look the

other way if his Alabama team was smoking weed?

Same for Urban Myer at Florida, or how about

PaPa Joe up at Penn State?

Geez, what planet are you from?

So, Got 5 on it, you are saying that if North Texas was a SBC

contender, these test would not have been authorized?

Are you saying, that if North Texas was 8-0, and Coach

Dodge suspected drug use on his team, that he would

look the other way?

Any coach of character would address the drug problem

immmediately. Do you think Nick Saban would look the

other way if his Alabama team was smoking weed?

Same for Urban Myer at Florida, or how about

PaPa Joe up at Penn State?

Geez, what planet are you from?

They do that already! :lol: And have been doing so for years. Let's not be naive.

What planet are you living on? The NCAA already conducts random testing.

I'm willing to bet that you would find the exact same percentages of players testing positive for drugs at any other D-1 program as UNT had. No doubt in my mind. Difference is UNT actually conducted the tests and the results were made public (not saying UNT made them public, but they were made public).

UT, A&M, OU, Tech, OSU, Nebraska....you name the program, and I guarantee you they would have just as many test positive.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm willing to bet that you would find the exact same percentages of players testing positive for drugs at any other D-1 program as UNT had. No doubt in my mind. Difference is UNT actually conducted the tests and the results were made public (not saying UNT made them public, but they were made public).

UT, A&M, OU, Tech, OSU, Nebraska....you name the program, and I guarantee you they would have just as many test positive.

Gotta disagree with you there. If they have as many they're back on the third or scout team.

Someone said that if we were 8-0 we'd look the other way. That's a moot question if it were our best players using pot. Marijuana slows the senses, makes it harder to concentrate, impairs memory, and other things associated with performance. We would never be 8-0.

Gotta disagree with you there. If they have as many they're back on the third or scout team.

Someone said that if we were 8-0 we'd look the other way. That's a moot question if it were our best players using pot. Marijuana slows the senses, makes it harder to concentrate, impairs memory, and other things associated with performance. We would never be 8-0.

Believe me, I am not defending drug use or anyone that uses drugs no matter the drug, but I'm not sure that someone will be seriously impaired on a Saturday by taking a couple of pot hits on a Wednesday. I think that a lot of it depends on the extent of the drug use and the individual's physical makeup rather than what comes up on a drug test. A person could test positive for pot as a VERY casual user. Unfortunately for the pot heads of the world, the weakest illegal drug(s) is the one that stays in the system the longest. Again, not making excuses for these positive testers in any way, but when you're talking pot, I think the devil is in the details. Hell, I know that when I play a round of golf or shoot a couple of games of pool, I usually play better after a couple of beers. LOL!! Again, NOT DEFENDING DRUG USE OF ANY KIND, but it all depends on the details of what is going on here. I guess that only the insiders have any clue at all in that area at this point.

As long as the players put up W's...I can't really it matters to me what the players do and how the players are. Give me some W's and you guys can do whatever you want.

Wow, so no ethics of any kind? Rape coeds in front of the library as long as you win enough games?

No, we need to clean this up NOW. Get rid of the pot heads and don't recruit criminals.

What planet are you living on? The NCAA already conducts random testing.

According the the Star-Telegram story, the NCAA tests for performance enhancing drugs. I think we can all agree there was none of that.

NCAA officials tested several UNT players last month for performance-enhancing drugs as part of their usual national testing.

Get these kids into mandatory therapy and clean them up. They will never be able to earn a living in the real world otherwise. Test them all weekly and make sure they know they will lose everything if they fail the test. College is about learning lessons for life, not just winning a couple of football games.