Stadium Vote

UNT_playmaker

This stadium vote couldnt come soon enough for the AD and everyone else who supports it. I went to a function tonight at the Gateway center and talked to a few people and they are pro-athletics and they told me that they are voting against the stadium. I told them, why, it would set us behind even further and they both said UNT didnt deserve their money based on what they have seen. The money would be better used for recruiting.

This set me off, so I went ahead and told them that we cant use school money for athletics and we have a very limited budget. Also I said the fee wouldnt be intact until after 2011 and they said they were 100% against it because they can use the stadium they have now and try to get better first before anyone should vote for a new stadium. They went on to say that alot of their peers feel that if UNT won at least one game it would have made them feel better about the program this year. I told them not to vote NO and to NOT vote at all just to help our cause.

The sooner we get this vote the better,alot of people are using the 0-5 blowout season as an excuse and they shouldnt, also I am seeing the support we once had billow away after each blowout loss. If we lose in a blowout again at Fouts, which is the best publicity for the anti-stadium support to ever have, then it could be the knock out blow for us.

We need to campaign and let people know the truth and not let this vote get away from us because of this unfulfilling season.

My time at UNT (3 bachelor's, 1 Master's ABT) obviously spanned quite a few years. When Athletes have a stake in the election, 80-90% turn out to vote (or at least say they did). Unless this vote breaks proportionate records vs. student body size, the vote will go in favor of the Athletics Fee. "No" voters would need an unprecedented amount of strong support to overcome traditional voting blocs. Based on extremely unpredictable variables in the student body over the years in official student votes, my prediction is that the Fee will pass with somewhere in the wholly large spread of 53% to 84% voting in favor of it. Like I said, bizarre, but I'm taking into account all *likely* changes in voting trends and would estimate the likelihood of passage at right around an "easy guess" of 75%. (For anyone I confused, one set of stats is what I expect as the outcome, and the last one is what I'd guess is the chance it will pass). Voting trends in student bodies can be extremely volatile, accounting for the extremely large range noted above.

Please note that I'm basing these numbers on vote percentages from the mid-eighties to the mid-2000s (info that was around when I was in SGA). I didn't run them through a stats package, but they include some very weird times in student vote history at UNT (again, part of why the range is so extreme).

Importing an albino squirrel or placing a dog on a Homecoming ticket could also be confounding variables in the election.

I wonder how much the economic crisis is playing in this vote. Even if it's not the primary reason impacting people's decision, even if it's just on a subconcious level, the timing of this vote just couldn't be worse.

It could be the perfect storm - the economy crashes and so does the football team.

Edited by Smitty

They want to spend it on recruiting?? Some people are idiots. If you vote yes for the new stadium you ARE spending money on recruiting because kids see that we have a nice stadium that is comparable with the other big schools in the state and so they say yes, I'll go to UNT.

I have visited three residence halls this week to speak at various functions as a member of SGA, each one being as neutral as possible. I'm telling you guys that there is strong support FOR the stadium and weak opposition to it. I don't care that the NT Daily says their poll is legit.

We're almost there guys!

I have visited three residence halls this week to speak at various functions as a member of SGA, each one being as neutral as possible. I'm telling you guys that there is strong support FOR the stadium and weak opposition to it. I don't care that the NT Daily says their poll is legit.

We're almost there guys!

When does voting end?

OK...so...worst case scenario. Let's say the student vote fails...and the SGA decides not to override the vote...can the BOR just impose the fee? And, if so, can they just hit the students with the maximum for being short-sighted...please?

Edited by JayDub

Well...shit.

From ESPN.com:

Who fits UNT's bill: After last week's 42-10 loss to Florida International -- its fifth consecutive loss of the season -- North Texas is finding it more difficult to sell the idea of a new football stadium to students who will have to foot part of the bill. The Mean Green are winless this season and haven't even been competitive at times. Things won't get easier with Louisiana-Lafayette rolling into town this weekend. The school is discussing raising student fees to gain the balance that has not been donated or raised. But students are rebelling against the idea because the football team seems to be regressing from where it was a year ago. Although the Mean Green were 2-10 last year, they were putting points on the board. This year, the Mean Green are averaging 13 points per game and most of it is coming late in blowouts.
Edited by JayDub

OK...so...worst case scenario. Let's say the student vote fails...and the SGA decides not to override the vote...can the BOR just impose the fee? And, if so, can they just hit the students with the maximum for being short-sighted...please?

That is exactly what I was thinking, I hope they raise it to $600 a year for athletics to compete with most normal schools.

Build a stadium, and get mens baseball and mens soccer