Will Dodge Be Gone After The Season?

untjim1995

I have read quite a bit of input from the board over the last few days and here is what I see happening to Dodge if we go 0-12. Nothing--zilch--nada. Is it because he shouldn't be fired? Nope. Is it because the AD really wants to see him do well? Nope. Then why will he still be our coach next year, even if we go 0-12? Fairly simple...

We have no money. There is no way we can eat 3 years of his contract. We barely could take on Dickey's contract when we offered Dodge next to nothing to come and coach here (by FBS standards). Look, we are what we are. We are a school that really shouldn't stay at this level if we don't vote yes for the stadium AND substantially raise the salaries of our coaching staff--not just the head coach, but the whole staff. I think that we need to really drop the program if we can't fund it right.

This has become the ultimate embarrassment. I just don't think that the university wants to have anything successful on the gridiron because it costs too much and takes away from music, arts, the education department, etc. This upcoming vote really proves this to me--there seems to be a mindset that the students will have the final say and the leaders can just sit back and say when it gets voted down that they really tried, but the will (apathy) of the university has been stated. The crazy part about all of this is to think of where UNT alums that have followed the program will go to follow college football if we do abandon the program. It will be very interesting to see.

I just don't think that the university wants to have anything successful on the gridiron because it costs too much and takes away from music, arts, the education department, etc.

You tell me where the money is gonna come from, then. It's not as if $20 million is going to come out of nowhere.

Besides, you CAN'T use academic funds for athletics. It's as bad as an illegal action.

So it's not a "we can't afford it so we won't put any money towards it" situation. It's a, "we want this, but we don't know how to fund it so we'll try to do what we can with what we have" situation.

I have read quite a bit of input from the board over the last few days and here is what I see happening to Dodge if we go 0-12. Nothing--zilch--nada. Is it because he shouldn't be fired? Nope. Is it because the AD really wants to see him do well? Nope. Then why will he still be our coach next year, even if we go 0-12? Fairly simple...

We have no money. There is no way we can eat 3 years of his contract. We barely could take on Dickey's contract when we offered Dodge next to nothing to come and coach here (by FBS standards). Look, we are what we are. We are a school that really shouldn't stay at this level if we don't vote yes for the stadium AND substantially raise the salaries of our coaching staff--not just the head coach, but the whole staff. I think that we need to really drop the program if we can't fund it right.

This has become the ultimate embarrassment. I just don't think that the university wants to have anything successful on the gridiron because it costs too much and takes away from music, arts, the education department, etc. This upcoming vote really proves this to me--there seems to be a mindset that the students will have the final say and the leaders can just sit back and say when it gets voted down that they really tried, but the will (apathy) of the university has been stated. The crazy part about all of this is to think of where UNT alums that have followed the program will go to follow college football if we do abandon the program. It will be very interesting to see.

First, which I am sure you know, the "university" cannot fund the athletics, and I know that is probably not what you meant.. It has to be through the athletic department's fundraising. Music and arts are not the reason we do not have a good football program. It is the apathy of the donor base. We do not have the big hitters (family owned oil & gas companies, ranching, banking, lawyers, medical professionals, CEO's of large corporations) who have gone here and support the program in the way Tech, A&M, and Texas are supported by their donors. Simply, there are not the deep pockets for athletics that some would lead us to believe. I think that Dr. Pohl and Dr. Bataille have made a great effort, short of pulling a gun on donors, to get the message out about athletics. Also, think about corporate sponsorship. Do you really think that a corporation is going to put even a couple of million dollars to this stadium given our track record to this point on and off the field. The stadium campaign should have started long before Dodge got here (during the championship run would have been perfect). Then, after the alumnae committed to the stadium, then the students should have been asked, Instead, like today, it is going to the students first. Check around about our donor support, and see if you think at the level it is at now ( a new stadium will not greatly improve it unless the product on the field is greatly greatly improved), and figure out how the athletic department is going to pay for a new stadium and fund the program (ie coaching salaries as you say) to where it can remain competitive year in and year out. I hope we do not drop the program, Div II is fun with its playoff system, and since we will not see a BCS bowl game in my lifetime (I am 45), I would not mind it. By the way, I have gotten carried away, and this is in no way meant to argue with you and your post. These are my observations and opinions.

If we go 0-12, I wouldn't be surprised if Dodge decides to cut his losses and leave voluntarily. Of course that might hinge on his ability to get a quality job at some level elsewhere. After all of the buildup, and after all of his success prior to coming to NT, an 0-12 record would likely bum him out in a big way. I guess a lot of it would depend on just how much fight he has in him to stick it out and keep fighting. I'm sure that the stadium issue will also enter into the mix.

If we go 0-12, I wouldn't be surprised if Dodge decides to cut his losses and leave voluntarily. Of course that might hinge on his ability to get a quality job at some level elsewhere. After all of the buildup, and after all of his success prior to coming to NT, an 0-12 record would likely bum him out in a big way. I guess a lot of it would depend on just how much fight he has in him to stick it out and keep fighting. I'm sure that the stadium issue will also enter into the mix.

I have little doubt Dodge could land another top-level high school job without much difficulty. He is an outstanding high school coach and I would think a number of programs would be lined up to get him.

I have little doubt Dodge could land another top-level high school job without much difficulty. He is an outstanding high school coach and I would think a number of programs would be lined up to get him.

Yeah, but will there be an opening that fits him close to Southlake, and will that opening pay well enough to entice him to jump ship. Once you get used to that quarter of a million a year lifestyle it can be hard to go back. Then again, I have no clue as to Dodge's personal finances.

IT IS RUMORED THAT THE AUSTIN WESTLAKE JOB WILL BE OPEN AT THE END OF THIS SEASON. HIS FATHER IN LAW IS FORMER A.D. THERE. IT IS AN AFFLUENT AREA, VERY YOUNG, WEALTHY AND SPORTS MINDED, ANOTHER SOUTHLAKE AND A NATURAL FIT FOR DODGE. W/O THIS MINIMAL DEDICATED ATHLETIC FEE ( WE ARE ASKING FOR HALF WHAT SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE SCHOOLS ALREADY HAVE) I SEE NO WAY WE CONTINUE IN D-1, AND WE WOULD PROBABLY HAVE TO BE NON-SCHOLARSHIP TO CONTINUE FB, AND FUND BB AND NON-REVENUE SPORTS. I WOULD RATHER HAVE NO PROGRAM THAN FALL TO THAT LEVEL. I WOULD CONTINUE TO SUPPORT BB, BUT THE REST OF THE UNIVERSITY DONATION ARENAS COULD TAKE A FLYING LEAP AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED. THIS WILL NEVER BE THE BIG TIME TIER 1 UNIVERSITY THAT OUR ESTEEMED PRES. ESPOUSES W/O COMPETITIVE D-1 ATHLETICS, NOT IN TEXAS NO WAY MADAM!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS RUMORED THAT THE AUSTIN WESTLAKE JOB WILL BE OPEN AT THE END OF THIS SEASON. HIS FATHER IN LAW IS FORMER A.D. THERE. IT IS AN AFFLUENT AREA, VERY YOUNG, WEALTHY AND SPORTS MINDED, ANOTHER SOUTHLAKE AND A NATURAL FIT FOR DODGE. W/O THIS MINIMAL DEDICATED ATHLETIC FEE ( WE ARE ASKING FOR HALF WHAT SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE SCHOOLS ALREADY HAVE) I SEE NO WAY WE CONTINUE IN D-1, AND WE WOULD PROBABLY HAVE TO BE NON-SCHOLARSHIP TO CONTINUE FB, AND FUND BB AND NON-REVENUE SPORTS. I WOULD RATHER HAVE NO PROGRAM THAN FALL TO THAT LEVEL. I WOULD CONTINUE TO SUPPORT BB, BUT THE REST OF THE UNIVERSITY DONATION ARENAS COULD TAKE A FLYING LEAP AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED. THIS WILL NEVER BE THE BIG TIME TIER 1 UNIVERSITY THAT OUR ESTEEMED PRES. ESPOUSES W/O COMPETITIVE D-1 ATHLETICS, NOT IN TEXAS NO WAY MADAM!!!!!!!!!!

Why are you yelling?

This post had me calling people I know in Austin. They know some of the local high school coaches and ADs. They laughed when I read them this post. First, this isn't even a rumor going around Austin. Second, Dodge's father in law was moved to the SLC area after his stroke last year. Third, if the Westlake job were to come open in the couple years the real rumor is the next coach is a young up and coming coach out of the Austin ISD

This post had me calling people I know in Austin. They know some of the local high school coaches and ADs. They laughed when I read them this post. First, this isn't even a rumor going around Austin. Second, Dodge's father in law was moved to the SLC area after his stroke last year. Third, if the Westlake job were to come open in the couple years the real rumor is the next coach is a young up and coming coach out of the Austin ISD

There is NO need for you to post facts or to have reliable sources.This board is for rumors and speculations only! :ph34r:

IT IS AN AFFLUENT AREA, VERY YOUNG, WEALTHY AND SPORTS MINDED, ANOTHER SOUTHLAKE AND A NATURAL FIT FOR DODGE.

Are these the only types of people & players Dodge can work with??????????? Ridiculous if this is true. Does anyone in the know, have any insight this?