How Does Nt Get Better Fastest?

LoveMG

Actually there is more to the Carr study than you quoted. In a section headed "external revenue issues" Carr says:

"A FY 2004-05 sampling of 10 regional public I-A programs (C-USA, Big East, WAC and Sun Belt Conference) shows that they contribute an average of $1,445,146 from Men's Basketball tickets and guarantees to their athletic department's operating budgets. Football ticket sales added another $2,029,200 annually to those budgets; annual donor programs driven by priority seating brought in another $4,044,439."

Carr says UTSA ".... would need to greatly increase productivity to have the revenues necessary to support an accelerated transition to NCAA Division I-A."

That is a total of about $7mil from the public. Unt gets way under the average, about $2mil, maybe $3 now; I haven't seen the numbers in a couple of years.

Our biggest problem is not lack of student fees, student fees have carried this program for decades, and our problem is not lack of institutional support. Our problem is lack of alum and community support. That lack contributes to the reluctance corporations have in giving us support, as previously reported in another thread by another person (not me).

Guest GrayEagleOne

sign only juco players for next year to have an all junior senior starting team?

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Why sign jucco players when Dodge had plenty of jr. and sr. players when he first came that he kicked to the curb? Why sign jucco players next year when some of Dodge's "guys" will be jrs? Look at the juccos that have been signed or lost since Dodge has come.

People on this board thought hiring a high school coach from up the road was the greatest thing since sliced bread. So far, we have seen NOTHING!!!! Why don't some of you that like to do internet searches go back to when DD was fired and look at the coaches North Texas could have had instead of a high school coach and look at where they are now.

Other than Meager and Wilson, who were the junior and senior players that he kicked to the curb? Three more kicked themselves to the curb....Green, Chatman and Oubre.

Here are the other 30 juniors and seniors that he inherited: Monroe, Cox, Warren, Nelson, M. Phillips, J. Thomas, Cotton, Henderson, Nurudeen, Weathers, Holman, Higgs, Rexrode, Davenport, Jackson, L. Brown, Mendoza, Dawson, Miller, Rose, Carlson, Venegas, Stevenson, Smith, Stickler, Fitzgerald, R. Johnson, Burrus, Chapman, Durodoye, and I. Thomas. The only ones that didn't play for Dodge were Warren (redshirted; moved to LB, playing this year), Nelson (didn't play for Dickey either), and Rexrode (injured; later quit). Thirteen of those were starters and the rest were either solid backups or played enought to letter.

Dodge had four state championships (at the highest level) and two mythical national championships so he's not just any high school coach. So far, all we've seen has been a couple of good recruiting classes but I believe that in time he'll get his coaching situation straightened out and the wins will come.

Who did miss out on that has done great now? My personal favorite was Don Cauthel, the coach at West Texas A&M, who continues to do well. However, I don't think that he actually applied for the head coaching vacancy but I believe that he would've taken it if offered. Jim Harbaugh had applied but I believe was offered the Stanford job before our final selection. No other great or promising names were ever very close to coming to North Texas. Even the coach at James Madison wanted to stay put. There may have been a couple of coordinators who threw their names in the pot but I think that we needed someone with head coaching experience at this point.

Actually there is more to the Carr study than you quoted. In a section headed "external revenue issues" Carr says:

"A FY 2004-05 sampling of 10 regional public I-A programs (C-USA, Big East, WAC and Sun Belt Conference) shows that they contribute an average of $1,445,146 from Men's Basketball tickets and guarantees to their athletic department's operating budgets. Football ticket sales added another $2,029,200 annually to those budgets; annual donor programs driven by priority seating brought in another $4,044,439."

Carr says UTSA ".... would need to greatly increase productivity to have the revenues necessary to support an accelerated transition to NCAA Division I-A."

That is a total of about $7mil from the public. Unt gets way under the average, about $2mil, maybe $3 now; I haven't seen the numbers in a couple of years.

Our biggest problem is not lack of student fees, student fees have carried this program for decades, and our problem is not lack of institutional support. Our problem is lack of alum and community support. That lack contributes to the reluctance corporations have in giving us support, as previously reported in another thread by another person (not me).

There has been neither proper institutional support nor the rewards derived from a succesful program (alumni and community support).

Your point is like a farmer claiming that he shouldn't plow seeds into a field until he gets a good harvest from it.

There has been neither proper institutional support nor the rewards derived from a succesful program (alumni and community support).

Your point is like a farmer claiming that he shouldn't plow seeds into a field until he gets a good harvest from it.

alumni and community support come before success. Has everywhere. Always has, always will.

alumni and community support come before success. Has everywhere. Always has, always will.

Keep in mind that student fees can be used only up to 50% of the cost of the stadium. Private money has to provide the rest. If the private money is not forthcoming, you can charge the students all you can get and you still won't be able to build a stadium. The upcoming student vote is not the end of the trail. The alums have to step up.

The basis for any good football program has to high school recruits, however, with the program having growing pains, it would be beneficial to bring in some quality Juco' at the end of this semester. Having them in place for spring ball gives the coaches a chance to coach and evaluate them. It seems that the past few years, not just under Dodge, UNT has has brought in a large percentage of JC players who were already injured or in academic trouble to start with.