Dodge Bawl

MeanGreenZen

Honestly, I've been secrectly wondering that myself...ever since the OU coaches were laughing at our defensive schemes last year.

"Defensive" being the key word. As far as I can tell, DeLoach has the defensive reins entirely in his hands. Not to give Dodge a completely free pass, but if there is a problem with the defensive coaching, the fault must lie largely with DeLoach and the defensive assistants.

But I do not see the offense making the progress I would have hoped. They seemed to hit a high point about the middle of last season, and have never gotten quite back on track again.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Honestly, I've been secrectly wondering that myself...ever since the OU coaches were laughing at our defensive schemes last year.

Hiring Deloach fixed that problem. Dodge's problem has been his inability to recruit defensive linemen. Hopefully, if we can get the stadium issue passed Dodge will have some more ammunition to go after the big boys up front.

"Defensive" being the key word. As far as I can tell, DeLoach has the defensive reins entirely in his hands. Not to give Dodge a completely free pass, but if there is a problem with the defensive coaching, the fault must lie largely with DeLoach and the defensive assistants.

But I do not see the offense making the progress I would have hoped. They seemed to hit a high point about the middle of last season, and have never gotten quite back on track again.

IF DeLoach doesn't have free reign in who coaches alongside with him on that side of the ball (i.e. Special Teams) how does he have it entirely in his hands?

Sorry, I wasn't more clear. I was commenting specifically about the notion that Dodge may be in over his head. I wasn't pointing the finger directly at the defense as much as I was at the head coach for thinking that the defense we had last year could succeed at the collegiate level. Ultimately, the final decisions for all schemes come directly from the head coach...or at least they should. I was merely saying doubt regarding our decision to hire a HS coach crept into my mind when the OU coaches found our defensive schemes so basic they couldn't resist ridiculing them in public. That was the first sign.

IF DeLoach doesn't have free reign in who coaches alongside with him on that side of the ball (i.e. Special Teams) how does he have it entirely in his hands?

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have said "entirely," but please take note that I included the defensive assistants among those who must be at fault if defensive coaching is to blame. But who chooses the defensive schemes and stunts?

I'm not sure why you call the defensive side of the ball "Special Teams" (?)

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have said "entirely," but please take note that I included the defensive assistants among those who must be at fault if defensive coaching is to blame. But who chooses the defensive schemes and stunts?

I'm not sure why you call the defensive side of the ball "Special Teams" (?)

Said it wrong.

IF, and that may be a big IF, DeLoach is able to get his defensive coaches in here, the defense will turn around a lot faster than it will take him if he is not allowed to.

Has RV made one updisputed good coaching hire since he has been here? Johnny Jones took us to The Big Dance and I consider that a success, but has JJ's overall time here been a success?

I'd say yes, if only because he rescued us from the depths we hit under Trilli. That was even darker than NT Football currently is IMHO.

Edited by CMJ

Seriously not trying to dogpile on Dodge here, but was Jim Harbaugh interested in the head coaching position here? Just curious.

He and others (e.g., Jimbo Fisher) expressed interest--I can't recall who all interviewed. But he would not have taken the position here with the pay we were offering. He is making $1 mil./year at Stanford.

Hardly. $185K, one of the lowest in 1A.

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.ph...6&hl=salary

Our meager athletic budget also sets limits on what kind of assistants we can hire.

That's more, way more than any previous coach has ever recieved at North Texas. Including Jerry Moore, Corky Nelson, Dennis Parker, Matt Simon and DD. Salary isn't the problem.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

That's more, way more than any previous coach who has ever recieved at North Texas. Including Jerry Moore, Corky Nelson, Dennis Parker, Matt Simon and DD. Salary isn't the problem.

Rick

I never said it was the problem. The poster asked how much he made, and I answered him, and alluded to it being a problem. Our lower pay relative to other schools (not relative to what North Texas paid coaches in the 70's-80's, or to when we were 1-AA) limits who we can hire. In my opinion, as other schools continue to pay significantly higher coaches' salaries, North Texas ought to be looking toward paying higher coaches' salaries in the future--do you not agree?

At a school with a student body marred by apathy might I add.

And alumni.. My sons baseball coach is a NT alum and all he can talk about in UT football and baseball.

He even named my sons baseball team the Longhorns. I sugested the Mean Green and he replyed next year.

Edited by NT91

Like I said to some fans earlier we have committed to this new type of play this coach this color scheme this logo - you name it we have committed to it and it is ALMOST all working - oh yeah except the W's. but i don't want to turn around now - we have to forge this thing forward and either sink with this program or ride it up the landscape. we had a solid turnout in h-town today. we have fans and students waiting to bust out of their skin with excitement for this program - we just keep shooting ourselves in our foot. its all about alignment and we can never align if we change everything coaches included every 2 years. it was a risk giong with dodge, maybe a risk that was a mistake but we are here and we must ride it out either to d1aa or to a turnaround.

be out there - a new month lies ahead.

great crowd in h-town today. turn it up in fouts.

gmg