Vito's Negativity

UNT Mean Green

It's interesting this Saturday morning as I read the Dallas Morning News, FW Star Telegram, and the Denton Record Chronicle. SMU has a game review in the Morning News from Tulane and there is not a tone of negativity from their beat writer, but rather a tone of optimism and a realistic perspective on expectations for June Jones and his new program this season. TCU's game preview in the Star Telegram leads you to believe they will defeat the mighty Oklahoma Sooners tonight. The Denton Record Chronicle makes it sound like UNT should forfeit their game and not show up. I know that not many college programs care for their beat writer, but I have personally thought Brett has done a very nice job covering Mean Green Athletics. Not knocking him as a person or anything, but today's game preivew in the Denton Record Chronicle seems to go the extra mile in knocking Coach Dodge and his team. Yes, there are statistical facts that aren't pretty, and it seems that Vito goes the extra mile to present the poor stats over and over rather than expound on the positives in this particular journalism piece.

Edited by UNT Mean Green

I keep forgetting that, at 0-3...and 2-13 in the Dodge era, thus far...that things are rosy and perfect at NT.

The guy is reporting the facts...nothing more, nothing less.

He wasn't denying that fact, he was stating the difference in tone between the SMU beat writer, TCU beat writer, and NT's beat writer. Vito does state the facts, the same facts over, and over, and over. I don't even read Vito anymore, I now prefer the Ft. Worth paper.

It's interesting this Saturday morning as I read the Dallas Morning News, FW Star Telegram, and the Denton Record Chronicle. SMU has a game review in the Morning News from Tulane and there is not a tone of negativity from their beat writer, but rather a tone of optimism and a realistic perspective on expectations for June Jones and his new program this season. TCU's game preview in the Star Telegram leads you to believe they will defeat the mighty Oklahoma Sooners tonight. The Denton Record Chronicle makes it sound like UNT should forfeit their game and not show up. I know that not many college programs care for their beat writer, but I have personally thought Brett has done a very nice job covering Mean Green Athletics. Not knocking him as a person or anything, but today's game preivew in the Denton Record Chronicle seems to go the extra mile in knocking Coach Dodge and his team. Yes, there are statistical facts that aren't pretty, and it seems that Vito goes the extra mile to present the poor stats over and over rather than expound on the positives in this particular journalism piece.

Seriously? This team is 2-13 in the last 15 games and you are upset that a beat writer of a small time paper is negative about the home team?

SMU is in their first year of Jones, so give them at least a year (trust me, they wrote negatively when Bennett was there), TCU is ranked and the last home loss for OU was none other than TCU.

He wasn't denying that fact, he was stating the difference in tone between the SMU beat writer, TCU beat writer, and NT's beat writer. Vito does state the facts, the same facts over, and over, and over. I don't even read Vito anymore, I now prefer the Ft. Worth paper.

....who states in the final sentence in this morning's summary that Todd Dodge is 0-9 on the road, and that opponents are averaging nearly 7 yards per play against us.

Positive enough for you? :rolleyes:

Here's some facts from a 33+ year fan of North Texas football. We'll get more positive facts in the paper, when we IN FACT start doing more positive things that anyone but us homers can recognize.

Vito is NOT the problem.

....who states in the final sentence in this morning's summary that Todd Dodge is 0-9 on the road, and that opponents are averaging nearly 7 yards per play against us.

Here's some facts from a 33+ year fan of North Texas football. We'll get more positive facts in the paper, when we IN FACT start doing more positive things that anyone but us homers can recognize.

Vito is NOT the problem.

Thank you for injecting some reason.

Vito is NOT the problem.

you read whatever paper you want, I'll read want I want, then we should both be happy, correct?

I don't remember if you ever had another avatar until now. This place just isn't the same without the Stranger.

After uploading the new avatar, I realized the new one really only works as a 150x150px avatar. It's a photoshop of a CRJ main display with fake waypoints on the HONIE5 arrival into ATL. If you can't read them, the fake waypoints are OOHHH, MEESO, HONIE, LUVYU, LNGTM. A little air traffic controller/flight dispatcher humour.

The Stranger will be back as soon as I can find him again.

I sometimes pick this up to. However, most of the time he calls like it is. One thing we don't know for sure is what kind of relationship he has with Dodge and RV. I get the impression, and it is just vibes, that it is not good. If I were RV or Dodge, my main mouthpiece would not be the Star Telegram. I would make sure the writer for the Record Chronicle, which also serves as the beat writer, for the DMN, has the best media relationship with the program as possible. The ties for the Record Chronicle is not only the Dallas Morning News, but Channel 8 as well because Belo owns them all.

I have e-mailed Vito, and not received a reply. And, unlike a lot of journalists I have approached, he has never come across as arrogant.