Brief Nt Daily Article On The New Stadium/athletic Fee Vote

UNTLifer

A fairly objective report from the Daily. In my opinion the one main thing that a new stadium will bring to the school is the opportunity to play higher profile teams in Denton. Many of our 'body bag' games might just be played here. That, with improved recruiting, should enable us to turn 'body bag' games into possible thrillers. Attendance should improve markedly if we play some 'name schools' in Denton.

A fairly objective report from the Daily. In my opinion the one main thing that a new stadium will bring to the school is the opportunity to play higher profile teams in Denton. Many of our 'body bag' games might just be played here. That, with improved recruiting, should enable us to turn 'body bag' games into possible thrillers. Attendance should improve markedly if we play some 'name schools' in Denton.

What makes you think nationally prominent teams will want to come to Denton no matter what the stadium used to play them? Top tier BCS schools want DFW exposure and that comes with TX Stadium, Cotton Bowl, or Jerry's World. I'm all for the new stadium and even more importantly an athletic budget that allows UNT to compete with mid majors, but to think the stadium will bring in any more than Baylor, Rice, TCU, Okie State, SMU, or others of that caliber is ludicrous.

What makes you think nationally prominent teams will want to come to Denton no matter what the stadium used to play them? Top tier BCS schools want DFW exposure and that comes with TX Stadium, Cotton Bowl, or Jerry's World. I'm all for the new stadium and even more importantly an athletic budget that allows UNT to compete with mid majors, but to think the stadium will bring in any more than Baylor, Rice, TCU, Okie State, SMU, or others of that caliber is ludicrous.

yup. UT doesn't play Rice in their stadium... they take it to Reliant.

I would love to get schools like Vandy, Wake Forest, Northwestern, Purdue, Syracuse, Rutgers etc. I would not be surprised if we can get schools like Michigan State, Stanford, South Carolina etc in here also. Basically once we get the new stadium I believe we can get anybody to come here with possibly the exception of the big guys like USC, UT, OSU, Michigan etc.

I would love to get schools like Vandy, Wake Forest, Northwestern, Purdue, Syracuse, Rutgers etc. I would not be surprised if we can get schools like Michigan State, Stanford, South Carolina etc in here also. Basically once we get the new stadium I believe we can get anybody to come here with possibly the exception of the big guys like USC, UT, OSU, Michigan etc.

I agree with you on the list you had. We probably won't get OU, Texas, Michigan, or LSU here for a game in a new stadium, but getting the Mississippi schools (Ole MIss, Miss. State, USM), the Kansas schools, Missouri, the Colorado schools, or the Iowa schools should/would happen fairly easily. This doesn't even count the idea of getting CUSA/WAC teams here or the occasional BCS game against teams like Georgia Tech or Louisville. I think this would be great. I just don't know that I am sold on the new stadium happening, though.

I love your new positive side :ph34r: