Drc: Unt Veterans Remember Tulsa Setback

Mean Green 93-98

That game with Tulsa is probably my lowest point mentally in recent years. It was worse than a kick in the nuts. I was devastated. I'm glad my adopted player Joseph Miller remembers how that felt. He will provide some senior motivation to the men up front to take the fight to the Golden Showers.

I don't know what I'm supposed to read into it, but was THIS necessary?

Coaching

Tulsa's Todd Graham and UNT's Todd Dodge are both in their second seasons, but there is no comparison when it comes to the situations they encountered in their first years or the results they produced.

Graham took over a Tulsa team that finished 8-5 and lost to Utah in the Armed Forces Bowl in 2006, and took it to a 10-4 season and a win over Bowling Green in the GMAC Bowl last year.

Dodge took over a team that has struggled since the end of the 2004 season and had a rough first season, finishing 2-10.

Edge: Tulsa

Love to know what qualifies BV to make this judgement.

Dumb comparison, Fake. Graham took over a team he helped build and coach under Kragthorpe. I don't need to explain our situation. Quit oversimplifying. Conservative gameplan last week notwithstanding, what the hell makes this an "edge" in coaching?

I thought Graham came up from Rice? Was he an assistant under Kragthorpe?

I thought Graham came up from Rice? Was he an assistant under Kragthorpe?

yeah, Kragthorpe hired him, I think, from West Virginia, and they built Tulsa up before Graham went to Rice for one year and back to Tulsa. Remember the "Todd Graham's Inferno" bit the Rice band did last year when they played Tulsa? I think the band announcer called him a douche (sp?).

Dumb comparison, Fake. Graham took over a team he helped build and coach under Kragthorpe. I don't need to explain our situation. Quit oversimplifying. Conservative gameplan last week notwithstanding, what the hell makes this an "edge" in coaching?

You questioned BV's credentials in making that call; but then go on to discuss (later in the thread) the situation that Kragthorpe's team. So my questions is: did you want to debate Vito's qualifications as a journalist; or that he came to a conclusion that you disagreed with?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Johnson was the coach at Rice in 2006 and took over at Tulsa last year. He took a 1-10 Rice team and turned it into a 7-6 bowl team, losing to Troy in the N.O. Bowl. He was 10-4 in 2007, with a blowout of Bowling Green in their bowl game.

That gives him a 18-10 record in Division 1-A compared to Dodge's 2-11. I'd say that gives him a tremendous advantage in the coaching matchup.

Yes, Todd Graham was at one time the Defensive Coordinator under Kragthorpe and I'd bet Steve wishes he had him at Louisville. The above is his head coaching record; the defensive coordinator thing would be a plus.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

yeah, Kragthorpe hired him, I think, from West Virginia, and they built Tulsa up before Graham went to Rice for one year and back to Tulsa. Remember the "Todd Graham's Inferno" bit the Rice band did last year when they played Tulsa? I think the band announcer called him a douche (sp?).

Like it or not Tulsa is less than one-eighth the size of North Texas, but has gone on from our MVC days to build a very competitive mid major program. They even used what should have been NT's choice for head coach when DD was hired. We have more students, more alumni, a better location, and a much better base to recruit from--what we lack is leadership at the top that pushes for athletics to have its prominent place in promoting the university. If you see GB today tell her you want to see athletics get the funding it deserves. If she doesn't lead in seeing that the adequate funding for athletics comes to pass, she is just blowing so much hot air about this being a tier I research university in Texas. Without the window to the university that athletics brings you just have egg head profs calling the shots,and a student body with a community college mentality. If GB is a true leader urge her to start acting the part!

Johnson was the coach at Rice in 2006 and took over at Tulsa last year. He took a 1-10 Rice team and turned it into a 7-6 bowl team, losing to Troy in the N.O. Bowl. He was 10-4 in 2007, with a blowout of Bowling Green in their bowl game.

That gives him a 18-10 record in Division 1-A compared to Dodge's 2-11. I'd say that gives him a tremendous advantage in the coaching matchup.

Except that it is Todd Graham who is the coach not Johnson. Are you preoccupied with thinking about the prospects of facing the Tulsa QB GEI?

Edited by DallasGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

Except that it is Todd Graham who is the coach not Johnson. Are you preoccupied with thinking about the prospects of facing the Tulsa QB GEI?

Yes, I was Jim. I realized what I had done and added a paragraph correcting the coach's name and acknowledging that he had been the Defensive Coordinator at Tulsa. Too much concentration on the QB matchup.

You questioned BV's credentials in making that call; but then go on to discuss (later in the thread) the situation that Kragthorpe's team. So my questions is: did you want to debate Vito's qualifications as a journalist; or that he came to a conclusion that you disagreed with?

i want to know how a wide gap in talent, which unfortunately you will see tonight, translates into Graham having some kind of "edge" or superiority over Dodge as a coach. other than Graham being more experienced at this level, they both were texas high school coaches and they use spread offenses. graham's actually a DEFENSIVE coach, so that makes it an even more pointless, useless comparison. and yes, I'm saying BV couldn't gauge one coach's ability over another. as far as his "journalistic" qualifications, I could care less one way or the other.

Edited by flyeater