Gilmore's Gone

Harry

Do you remember the Low Score the NCAA gave us on the APR and the five scholarships we lost? The problem is the University spends a considerable amount of resources both money and time on recruiting these young men. We have personal in place in the AD Academic Staff that are supposed to watch out for these young athletes, especially the ones with grade problems, not all these athletes mature at the same rate. The AD has a responsibility to watch over the investment we have in our athletes, we surly can not afford to have such a low APR score again. In a perfect world they should not have to hold the hands of these young athletes, but in a perfect world we would not need the NCAA to make academic standards like the APR.

Sorry, but your venom is aimed at the wrong people/person. You should aim it at someone up in Logan, UT that recruited many academic risks, and Gilmore was one, along with Ruff, Raymond, etc... Maybe he just doesn't "have it" to cut it in the classroom.

Edited by UNTLifer

Sorry, but your venom is aimed at the wrong people/person. You should aim it at someone up in Logan, UT that recruited many academic risks, and Gilmore was one, along with Ruff, Raymond, etc... Maybe he just doesn't "have it" to cut it in the classroom.

F'n JayDub

Ross and Rexrode all ready gone and more to come

Not sure about Rexrode, but will take your word on it, but there have been posts from 1-2 months ago regarding Ross still working hard on any academic issues. Not calling you wrong, just other posts that seem to contradict.

Thanks for info though.

I am no Dickey fan, but some of this responsibility still rests with the AD. We received one of the biggest hits in football from the NCAA this year because of this APR score rating they created, no buts about it the loss of 5 football scholarships is unacceptable.

Not sure about Rexrode, but will take your word on it, but there have been posts from 1-2 months ago regarding Ross still working hard on any academic issues. Not calling you wrong, just other posts that seem to contradict.

Thanks for info though.

Rexrode quit due to continuing shoulder issues and one poster ran in to Ross recently, and Ross said he would be ready to go.

I have been saying this for over a month, look it up. And as for Rexrode I used to live with that caveman and he definately isn't coming back.

This counts as another minus 2 points against our APR. Since 2006 our athletic academics has fallen into the toilet. WHY? Is someone actually responsible for this? Or is it simply being chalked up as just bad luck? "Well, North Texas is just running into some bad luck these days in regards to keeping our student athletes academicially eligible". Maybe it's a combination of it all, bad luck, bad academic leadership within the A.D. and poor effort on the players? Non of this makes sense to me. Just as it doesn't make sense to me that if EG was already considered a grade-issue concern, then why was he allowed to suit up and participate in Spring ball?

No way this all falls on coach Dickey. Every year there were countless players graduating on time and with good grades. Scott Hall and many others had high grades and finished their final season in grad school. Nick Bazuldua won a national merit award for his accomplishments. Danny Meager will be or is in grad school now, and there have been many others. At one point, prior to 2006 North Texas held the highest APR rate of all of the 10 D 1-A schools in Texas.

Like everyone else, I would like to hear some answers, and not just from the newspapers but from the source himself.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

This counts as another minus 2 points against our APR. Since 2006 our athletic academics has fallen into the toilet. WHY? Is someone actually responsible for this? Or is it simply being chalked up as just bad luck? "Well, North Texas is just running into some bad luck these days in regards to keeping our student athletes academicially eligible". Maybe it's a combination of it all, bad luck, bad academic leadership within the A.D. and poor effort on the players? Non of this makes sense to me. Just as it doesn't make sense to me that if EG was already considered a grade-issue concern, then why was he allowed to suit up and participate in Spring ball?

No way this all falls on coach Dickey. Every year there were countless players graduating on time and with good grades. Scott Hall and many others had high grades and finished their final season in grad school. Nick Bazuldua won a national merit award for his accomplishments. Danny Meager will be or is in grad school now, and there have been many others. At one point, prior to 2006 North Texas held the highest APR rate of all of the 10 D 1-A schools in Texas.

Like everyone else, I would like to hear some answers, and not just from the newspapers but from the source himself.

Rick

All good points, but are we sure that Gilmore is out of school? If he stays enrolled he doesn't have an effect on the APR. Couldn't he remain in school and play again in 2009? He will have contributed to the team 3 seasons out of his 5 years at North Texas. It's not the way you'd script it, but that's about average for many redshirted players.

All good points, but are we sure that Gilmore is out of school? If he stays enrolled he doesn't have an effect on the APR.

He will have an effect on the APR if he is academicially eligible it would only be one point and the NCAA would like him being in school. Not knowing his overall GPA he may have been asked to leave school by the academic dept.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Neither can the AD or academic counselors be held responsible for all. As far as I've heard, people like Foster, Green, Peachey, Rexrode, and Chatman had no serious academic problems. It could be that Robertson, Collins, Stewart and others did not leave due to academic deficiencies as well. Banks is the only casualty that we know for sure but we can also suspect that Gilmore and Crumes were also lacking since each laid out a year. Those three were recruited by Dickey's staff and there'll be one of Dodge's recruits (Ealey) to add to the list.

If we want to place blame then spread it all around....players (first and foremost), coaches, academic counselors, the AD, and us. I say us because we demanded a coaching change that left some marginal achievers and underachievers disgruntled and willing to leave the program. So step up and accept your share of the blame; that's what I'm doing.

Good point GEO. Also, do we know why Gilmore is not playing this year? I think I either read or heard that it was for personal issues not academics.

I blame DD because he did take a chance on a number of good athletes that were questionable students. Hall, Baz, etc... weren't as gifted athletically and were better students. This was how we were able to sign some of these athletes, because many "larger" schools weren't willing to and didn't need to take that chance. DD had to take a chance so sign some of these athletes. Some kids just don't have it to succeed academically.

I have been saying this for over a month, look it up. And as for Rexrode I used to live with that caveman and he definately isn't coming back.

What do you think about the other options at D-end with Gilmore gone?

Let me tell you that the athletics staff do watch out for these young men. They require constant progress reports. The students have to attend their classes. All of them, no absences or coach intervenes. Same with any in-class issues. A coach will come to class and straighten out a student. They have required study hall times. Some students, the ones that are "the ones with grade problems" also have academic coaches that give them additional help. These people are working hard to support our athletes.

At some point, the student has to fulfill their end of the bargain.

Not everybody is made to go to college. It to bad there is not somekind of trades degrees for some of these individuals. They could take a combination of classes such as bricklaying, carpentry, welding,etc. What do you guys think?

Not everybody is made to go to college. It to bad there is not somekind of trades degrees for some of these individuals. They could take a combination of classes such as bricklaying, carpentry, welding,etc. What do you guys think?

That would be the ultimate NCAA admission that this is all only a business.

blame the kid every time. They are given every oportunity too succeed or get help if they need it. Some are just to lazy, or in gilmores case lack the integrity and drive to succeed in the classroom. Just like in life, there are deadbeats in college athletics.

blame the kid every time. They are given every oportunity too succeed or get help if they need it. Some are just to lazy, or in gilmores case lack the integrity and drive to succeed in the classroom. Just like in life, there are deadbeats in college athletics.

I've got a suggestion for you. See how this sounds to you:

First you agree not to impugn the integrity of someone you probably don't know, or to confuse "integrity" with what might be simply a tough academic struggle for this student.

Then I won't suggest that your ignorance of rules of capitalization and punctuation that are usually mastered in the third or fourth grade, and of rules of spelling and proper word choice that are usually fifth or sixth grade subject matter, shows that you really aren't college material. After all, this is a major research university, and I hope we're maintaining higher standards than this post indicates.

Or I could go a step further and suggest that your apparent inability to communicate your thoughts in a clear and correct manner, or to think carefully and responsibly before expressing yourself, shows your laziness and your lack of integrity or drive to succeed.

I wouldn't be inclined to do that, since I don't know you.

I've got a suggestion for you. See how this sounds to you:

First you agree not to impugn the integrity of someone you probably don't know, or to confuse "integrity" with what might be simply a tough academic struggle for this student.

Then I won't suggest that your ignorance of rules of capitalization and punctuation that are usually mastered in the third or fourth grade, and of rules of spelling and proper word choice that are usually fifth or sixth grade subject matter, shows that you really aren't college material. After all, this is a major research university, and I hope we're maintaining higher standards than this post indicates.

Or I could go a step further and suggest that your apparent inability to communicate your thoughts in a clear and correct manner, or to think carefully and responsibly before expressing yourself, shows your laziness and your lack of integrity or drive to succeed.

I wouldn't be inclined to do that, since I don't know you.

And THAT is an ender.