2008-2009 Men's Basketball Roster

The 2008-2009 Men's Basketball Roster is now up. No major surprises. The roster lists 11 players. I know that Jeff Montague will not return so that brings us down to 10 players. However, Eric Trammiel and Dominique Johnson are curiously missing and with their addition that will bring the roster to 12 players. Shawn Forrest has also been added in the coaches section.

It appears this the upcoming season could be a tale of extremes in regard to our guards: big guards (McCoy 6'4", Thompson 6'5", Mangrum 6'5", Trammiel 6'7") leading the charge and undersized point guards (White 5'8" and Johnson 5'10") directing the floor. At 6'2", I think Dennis qualifies as an undersized guard though he holds his own in weight at 185lb. I know we have plenty of fire power in our guards. I think the season hinges on post play from Odufuwa, Stewart, Hogans, and to a lesser extent Howerton.

A few other tidbits. November can't get here soon enough. I am very eager to see our new recruits play. I am also excited about the return of Mangrum. I think he could develop into a very good guard, and notice that he has grown an inch since last year. Besides, any decent basketball team needs an mop-top white boy. Lastly, I've had the opportunity to talk with Jeff Montague on several occasions. It turns out he works in the same building/department where I see patients. Jeff is a friendly and talkative guy. He told me that he will not play in the 2008-2009 season due to the expectation that he could not get much playing time. It's too bad because I like classy athletes like Jeff to represent the Mean Green, but I completely understand the difficulty of putting in that much work with little chance of playing time. I wish Jeff the best in his endeavors and thank him for the hard work he gave the Mean Green last season.

Edited by chrisfisher

It appears this the upcoming season could be a tale of extremes in regard to our guards: big guards (McCoy 6'4", Thompson 6'5", Mangrum 6'5", Trammiel 6'7") leading the charge and undersized point guards (White 5'8" and Johnson 5'10") directing the floor. At 6'2", I think Dennis qualifies as an undersized guard though he holds his own in weight at 185lb. I know we have plenty of fire power in our guards. I think the season hinges on post play from Odufuwa, Stewart, Hogans, and to a lesser extent Howerton.

A few other tidbits. November can't get here soon enough. I am very eager to see our new recruits play. I am also excited about the return of Mangrum. I think he could develop into a very good guard, and notice that he has grown an inch since last year. Besides, any decent basketball team needs an mop-top white boy. Lastly, I've had the opportunity to talk with Jeff Montague on several occasions. It turns out he works in the same building/department where I see patients. Jeff is a friendly and talkative guy. He told me that he will not play in the 2008-2009 season due to the expectation that he could not get much playing time. It's too bad because I like classy athletes like Jeff to represent the Mean Green, but I completely understand the difficulty of putting in that much work with little chance of playing time. I wish Jeff the best in his endeavors and thank him for the hard work he gave the Mean Green last season.

I thought Tramiel was a JUCO AA as a forward. JJ's not going to move him, is he?

I remember when were were being told he was a "Power" forward........

He's an undersized 4...probably about 6'6" 220 in actuality which means he'll be listed at about 6'7" 230...I would say think Will Smith from a few years ago...but with a better offensive game.

That's what I thought, but your original post confused me since you listed him as one of our big guards. Anyway, I forsee our starting five as:

Oduwafu

Tramiel

Dennis

Thompson

White

The original post wasn't me. Thats probably spot on with the starting 5. I think/hope that Adam McCoy is poised for a huge season. It took him a while to get comfortable here but he showed some really nice flashes towards the end of the season...plus his size and athleticism will be needed for the times when Josh and Dominique Johnson are playing together.

That's what I thought, but your original post confused me since you listed him as one of our big guards. Anyway, I forsee our starting five as:

Oduwafu

Tramiel

Dennis

Thompson

White

That was my screw up, not CBL. I'm just glad to get some Men's basketball chat going again even though it probably useless talk until we know more about our recruits and schedule.

The original post wasn't me. Thats probably spot on with the starting 5. I think/hope that Adam McCoy is poised for a huge season. It took him a while to get comfortable here but he showed some really nice flashes towards the end of the season...plus his size and athleticism will be needed for the times when Josh and Dominique Johnson are playing together.

Sorry about that. I, too, am intrigued by McCoy. I am also interested to see how Mangrum contributes this year.

I want to revise my earlier sorry-ass analysis to account for Tramiel and Knox..... it should read something like this now:

It appears this the upcoming season could be a tale of extremes in regard to our guards: big guards (McCoy 6'4", Thompson 6'5", Mangrum 6'5") leading the charge and undersized point guards (White 5'8" and Johnson 5'10") directing the floor. At 6'2", I think Dennis qualifies as an undersized guard though he holds his own in weight at 185lb. I know we have plenty of fire power in our guards. I think the season hinges on play from our forwards in Odufuwa, Stewart, Hogans, and Trammiel. The center position, a former strength via Wooden, will not likely be a source of major production given the freshman "project player" signing in Knox, though Howerton's play really picked up last season and I expect that he will contribute some quality minutes off the bench.

Edited by chrisfisher

• 2 months later...

The frontline is a big concern, but I still see the league as wide open this year. WKU and USA should be closer to the pack after losing alot of key contributors. I wouldn't be surprised if we were in the middle of the pack OR if we won the West. Obviously the conference tournament is always a crapshoot.

The frontline is a big concern, but I still see the league as wide open this year. WKU and USA should be closer to the pack after losing alot of key contributors. I wouldn't be surprised if we were in the middle of the pack OR if we won the West. Obviously the conference tournament is always a crapshoot.

MTSU scares me

MTSU scares me

I also think they are the "leader in the clubhouse" based on how they ended last season. I think overall though, the power between the two divisions might be a bit more balanced this season.

(Not happy that we drew MTSU twice this year though)

But, if we win the West - we wouldn't have to play'em until the Championship game anyways. :D

Edited by CMJ

Me too. Especially with the noise that they made in the Conference Tournament last year. They look poised to have a really nice season.

If anyone in this conference has the potential to really seperate themselves from the rest it is Middle. We had (as I predicted...I'm so vain sometimes) the ideal situation to get 2 teams in the Dance last year...both ran pretty much rough-shot over the conference, had some nice OOC games and wins and some appealing players. I don't see that happening this year...if there is a race to the top of this conference it is because MTSU has decided to build its nest in some of the lower branches...they ought to Gonzaga the Sun Belt this season. I don't think thats to be taken as the SBC taking a step back, either...the depth of this conference is rapidly improving

Can he play on the d-line???

That's a great question that no one will be able to answer, unfortunately, until next season. 274Lb seems a little on the heavy side for 6'8." Wooden was 6'9" 245lb and looked a little heavy. But everyone carries their weight differently so you just don't know.

MTSU scares me

Head coach: Kermit Davis.

Last season: 17-15 overall, 11-7 in Sun Belt.

Postseason: None. mtsu_statslogo.gifBreakdown: Probable starters | Backcourt | Frontcourt | Offense | Defense | Outlook

BACKCOURT

Few teams in any conference will have a more experienced or deeper set of guards. Three senior starters return for the Blue Raiders, and at least three newcomers are expected to work their way into the rotation. Kevin Kanaskie, 6-2/Sr.

11.7 ppg, 3.3 apgG Nigel Johnson, 6-2/Sr.

7.3 ppg, 3.4 apgG Demetrius Green, 6-4/Sr.

12.5 ppg, 4.6 rpgF Desmond Yates, 6-6/Jr.

16.0 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 57.5 FG%F Theryn Hudson, 6-10/Sr.

9.1 ppg, 5.4 rpgTOP RESERVESF Calvin O'Neil, 6-4/Jr.

Injured last seasonG Eric Allen, 6-5/Jr.

Junior college transferF Dino Hair, 6-9/Jr.

3.8 ppg, 2.1 rpg G Antwaun Boyd, 6-2/R-Fr.

Redshirted last season

The influx of guards should help keep seniors Kevin Kanaskie and Nigel Johnson fresher late in the season. Kanaskie has averaged more than 35 minutes per game in each of the past two seasons. A coach's son (his father, Kurt, is a former coach at Drake and now is an assistant at Penn State), he is one of the top outside shooters in the Sun Belt. The speedy Johnson, who is most dangerous in the open court, provides a good contrast. He can score baskets in a hurry, but must become more consistent and improve his decision-making for the Blue Raiders to reach their full potential.

Senior wing Demetrius Green was added from the junior college ranks last season and immediately provided a scoring punch and help on the glass. He finished second on the team in scoring and rebounding.

The coaching staff is particularly high on junior college transfer Eric Allen and redshirt freshman Antwaun Boyd. Allen is a terrific outside shooter with good range. Boyd, a three-star recruit from the 2007 class, didn't qualify academically until December last season and the coaches chose to redshirt him.

FRONTCOURT

One of the bigger surprises in the Sun Belt Conference last season was the play of junior Desmond "Boogie" Yates, a first-team all-league pick. Yates emerged as the go-to guy on offense, raising his scoring average from 10.9 to 16.0 points per game.

An inside-outside scorer, Yates provides a difficult matchup for most defenders. But don't expect another big jump in his scoring. With the return of so many veterans and some major additions, the Blue Raiders plan to have a more balanced attack.

Senior Theryn Hudson (6-10, 250) is the biggest player on the roster and gives the undersized Blue Raiders a legitimate center. Hudson has made small improvements each season, but has yet to play to his full potential. In particular, the Blue Raiders need him to be better on the glass.

The return of small forward Calvin O'Neil should provide a boost. O'Neil, who suffered a season-ending knee injury in the opener last season, averaged 6.6 points as a starter in 2006-07. Two other big men – junior Dino Hair and junior college transfer Josh Jones – will be counted to provide interior defense and rebounding.

OFFENSE

Davis sold incoming recruits on a faster, more up-tempo style. He wants to take advantage of Johnson's speed and the number of players who can score in transition. In halfcourt sets, the Blue Raiders mostly run motion where no one player is the focus. Numerous screens will be set to free up Kanaskie and Allen for open looks.

DEFENSE

The Blue Raiders played more zone last season than in any of the previous five years of the Davis era, in large part because of injuries.

conhead_seasonlook_30.jpg The perfect storm of sorts is setting up for MTSU in the Sun Belt. The Blue Raiders return every key player - including Yates, a candidate for league player-of-the-year honors. South Alabama and perennial power Western Kentucky – which both landed NCAA bids this past season – have giant holes to fill. The Jaguars are losing their leading scorer and leading assist man, and the Hilltoppers are losing their top two scorers (including first-round pick Courtney Lee) and their coach. The Blue Raiders, who upset South Alabama twice last season, including in the Sun Belt Tournament semifinals in Mobile, Ala., should be the league favorite. If they do get knocked off in the league tourney – which will be in Hot Springs, Ark. – an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament will be possible thanks to a tough non-conference schedule that will include Tennessee and likely another high-major opponent. With a rotation that could go 10 deep, they will utilize much more man-to-man, which Davis prefers. They also may mix in some presses and full-court pressure in an effort to generate more transition baskets.

SHOES TO FILL

None. The Blue Raiders did not lose a significant contributor.

MUST STEP UP

The Blue Raiders have considerable firepower on the perimeter. What they need is a legitimate inside presence. Hudson is the prime candidate. He has good size and is entering his fourth year in the program. The key is eliminating unnecessary fouls. He spent much of last season in foul trouble, committing at least four fouls in 19 of 29 games and fouling out five times. Hudson averaged a foul every seven minutes.

IMPACT NEWCOMER

Allen shot 44 percent from beyond the arc at Marion (Ala.) Military Institute last season. That number is impressive at any level. He'll give the Blue Raiders a second shooter for defenses to worry about and upgrade what was a rather mediocre offense last season.

Andrew Skwara is a national basketball writer for Rivals.com. He can be reached at <A href="mailto:askwara@rivals.com">askwara@rivals.com.

Edited by NT03

That's a great question that no one will be able to answer, unfortunately, until next season. 274Lb seems a little on the heavy side for 6'8." Wooden was 6'9" 245lb and looked a little heavy. But everyone carries their weight differently so you just don't know.

Uhhh...lets just say Keith was listed at 245. Add an Andrew Jackson and you'll probably be a bit closer.

Spencer seems worth taking a waiver on...he's opting to go without a scholarship this season...he'll be a good presence in practice and it will give JJ the chance to access what he really has without any official commitment. I also like that he has a soccer backround...you're biggest problem with guys this big is normally footwork and soccer players typically have solid eye-foot coordination.