Oops! Dooley Steps In It!

DeepGreen

From the Sun Belt Board-

As controversy widens, Louisiana Tech's Derek Dooley apologizes to ULM officials

By Paul J. Letlow • pletlow@thenewsstar.com • June 28, 2008

Louisiana Tech athletics director and football coach Derek Dooley has apologized to ULM officials for comments he made at a booster function earlier this month.

A day after ULM athletics director Bobby Staub confirmed that he wouldn’t schedule athletic events with Louisiana Tech, Dooley said he met with Staub and football coach Charlie Weatherbie on Friday to clear the air.

“I apologize that my comments at a Tech booster rally were used to upset the administration and alumni at ULM,” Dooley said. “I did not intend to be derogatory, and I obviously should have chosen my words more carefully. I have spoken with both Bobby and Charlie, and I hope they understand.”

Staub responded: “I greatly appreciate his apology and whole-heartedly accept it."

On June 2, Dooley spoke in Bastrop where he outlined his vision for the future of Tech athletics. It was one in a series of stops by Dooley promoting the program.

When asked about the chances of ULM and Tech playing in football again, Dooley indicated that his scheduling philosophy didn’t allow for a regular renewal of the series.

In that discussion, Dooley used the word “elite” in describing Tech’s academic status, which offended some ULM fans and officials who perceived it as a dig at their program.

Dooley said he regretted the way his comments were perceived.

Once local college rivals who met annually, ULM and Tech haven’t played in football since 2000.

Tech competes in the Western Athletic Conference while ULM is affiliated with the Sun Belt Conference.

Dooley said that Tech has four non-conference dates to schedule each season.

As he constructs future schedules, Dooley is seeking two guarantee games, and a home game against a Football Championship Subdivision team (formerly I-AA).

In a 12-game schedule, that leaves one date to fill, where Dooley is attempting to schedule home-and-home regional games that give Tech exposure in markets outside northeastern Louisiana.

“We feel like we can get some regional exposure in recruiting areas outside north Louisiana,” said Dooley, whose staff recruits South Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi and Alabama.

"I apologize that my comments at a Tech booster rally were used to upset the administration and alumni at ULM," Dooley said.

Dooley said he regretted the way his comments were perceived.

Sounds like a non-apology apology.

Edited by UNTflyer

what a dufus he is, perfect fit for tech. and he wants to schedule a 1-aa every year? may be their only chance for a win.

Interesting that Dufus doesn't want to play ULM because it is beneath LaTech but wants to schedule an 1-AA every year. I would have loved to hear the conversation between Dooley and his boss over this little hiccup.

Sounds like a non-apology apology.

True, it's one of those "sorry that they took it that way" apologies, not an "I'm sorry I said that".

The jackass had a similar diarrhea-mouth incident when his former boss Nick Saban was leaving LSU for the Dolphins job.

Edited by ADLER

I would take a home and home with LaTech. Any takers?

Tech's former WAC mates & kissin' cousins (Tulsa, SMU, Rice, UTEP) haven't schedule them in football or men's basketball since leaving the WAC. Apparently they don't want a home and home with them either. :rolleyes:

Actually Tech hasn't played ANYONE from CUSA in football since the EWAC teams left :huh: CUSA teams have played numerous regular season games with Belt teams. 8 games schedule for this season, 7 games in '07, 5 games in '06 and 3 games in '05.

Edited by MeanGreen61