Tomlinson Out For 2008 Opener, Maybe Longer

MeanGreen61

Tomlinson out for 2008 opener, maybe longer

The depth along UNT’s offensive line for the early stages of next season took a hit a few days back when tackle Matt Tomlinson had surgery on his shoulder. Tomlinson came out of surgery fine, but head coach Todd Dodge said today that the red shirt freshman will need several weeks to recover and isn’t expected to return to practice until Sept. 1. Tomlinson will likely miss the first few weeks of the season.

Tomlinson had been impressive in spring practice up until the injury and appeared as if he would end up in a key role as a backup on an offensive line that returns several key players and will add two junior college transfers in the fall. Dodge said Tomlinson would still end up being that key backup. It just might take a little longer because of the injury.

UNT has several offensive linemen who are on the mend and are expected to return late this summer, including center Kelvin Drake, an all-conference selection last season.

Dodge also said that he has ruled out the return of Ajani Banks, a guard who played with UNT in 2006, missed the 2007 season and never lived up to his potential with the Mean Green.

Be sure to pick up a copy of tomorrow’s paper, which will have a story on Tomlinson, a story on the UNT tennis team that opens the Sun Belt Conference tournament tomorrow and a column on new women’s basketball coach Shanice Stephens that we didn’t have room for in today’s paper.

DaMn It!!! When I first saw the thread , I was like " I don't care about LT" .... but this hurts!!!

Which now begs the question , where will Troy Franklin play this year?? I don't think we are deep enough at either line and he is too talented to be red shirted.

DaMn It!!! When I first saw the thread , I was like " I don't care about LT" .... but this hurts!!!

Which now begs the question , where will Troy Franklin play this year?? I don't think we are deep enough at either line and he is too talented to be red shirted.

I still say he should be at DT.

Dodge said Tomlinson would still end up being that key backup. It just might take a little longer because of the injury.

Is a medical redshirt an option for Tomlinson? Instead of being a reserve for part of this season? He'd have another year to grow and the potential of being a 4 year starter.

where will Troy Franklin play this year?

Franklin should probably redshirt as well. The kid is big and athletic but he still has the potential to become much stronger.

If both these potential reserves redshirt this year North Texas can be set at both Offensive Tackle positions for '09, '10, '11, and 2012.