Do We Need Another Qb For Insurance?

DeepGreen

UT backup QB Kinne to transfer

Texas redshirt freshman QB G.J. Kinne has elected to transfer, he confirmed Friday. Kinne will depart the Longhorns program after one season, but has not yet determined where he will transfer.

"I chose the best school at what was the end of a very successful, but difficult high school career," Kinne said. "I have definitely become a better quarterback with the help of one of the most knowledgeable offensive coaches in college football, Greg Davis. However, the quarterback position is unique in terms of playing time, and I have to find a program that best fits my skills.

"Quarterbacks transfer in college football. That's life for this position.

I've made great memories, great friends and have been blessed with experiences most can only watch. So the answer is, 'No, I have no regrets.'

"I'm looking forward to what the future holds for me. I wish nothing but great things for The University of Texas. I appreciate all that Coach Brown and The University have done for me."

Kinne, a graduate of Gilmer High School in Gilmer, Texas, was a valuable member of the Longhorns' scout team offense during his redshirt season in 2007. He was a two-time 3A Offensive Player of the Year at Gilmer and finished his prep career ranked second in Texas high school history in passing yards (11,695) and in TD passes (130).

"G.J. is a great young man and has added a lot to our program in his time at Texas," Brown said. "Even though we hate to see him go, we understand he wants to play. We wish him lots of luck and will continue to follow his progress."

Kinne originally committed to Baylor befor changing his mind and signing with Texas.

G.J. Kinne is not insurance, he is a headliner. He would be perfect for our offense, but with Riley coming he is not a good fit here. Kinne will go be a star QB at a BCS school. He wasted his redshirt at Texas last year. Instead of transferring to a BCS school immediately and losing another year of eligibility, the best move for him would be to go to a junior college this season, get a year of experience under his belt and then transfer to a BCS school where he could start as a sophomore. It never made sense for Kinne to go to Texas in the first place with how loaded they were at QB, but he is a special talent and that will shine through somewhere else.

Keep sipping that Mean Green Kool-Aid, Dodge2007, G.J. would certainly start over either of our guys (by the way, I love Vizza and Dodge). I have seen all three play in person and GJ is a more accurate passer and has a stronger arm than Vizza and Dodge. Kinne is certainly faster than Vizza and while he is probably not as fast as Dodge, he is a very tough runner (I would compare him to Tim Tebow in that he can't outrun defensive backs, but db's tend to bounce off him).

Here is further logic for why GJ would start ahead of our guys. GJ was recruited by Texas because Mack Brown thought he was good enough to play quarterback for the Longhorns. Riley Dodge was recruited by the Longhorns as an athlete because Mack Brown did not think he was good enough to play quarterback for the Longhorns. I love Dodge and Vizza, but I am not so disillusioned that I think they are better than GJ Kinne. I guess you think Dodge and Vizza would start over Colt McCoy, too... Heck, our guys probably would have relegated Vince Young to the bench if they had played for the Longhorns in 2005...

PS -- Bad news for Mean Green fans... the rumor mill has Kinne landing at SMU.

I wouldn't be surprised to see GJ go to Fresno State. His dad, who was released from Baylor when Art Briles was hired, recently took a HS HC job in Fresno.

Regarding Justin Willis, I recently read that June Jones was happy with his progress and expects him to return to the team (no timeframe was given).

Look for Kinne to pop up at Fresno or San Jose State. His dad just took a HS job at Clovis West (Calif.) in Fresno.

Kinne take California HS job

Post from yesterday in correct forum

Edited by GreenBat

If G.J. Kinne indicated he wanted to go to SMU, Jones would give him the starting job over Justin Willis in a heartbeat.

Huh?? I don't believe I ever insinuated that Willis would start over Kinne....don't know where you got that idea. I was just answering two different questions in one post...doesn't mean the answers were related. :rolleyes: I didn't even suggest that Willis would start over SMU's current roster of QBs.

If G.J. Kinne indicated he wanted to go to SMU, Jones would give him the starting job over Justin Willis in a heartbeat.

If Kinne went to SMU, he'd have to sit a year as a transfer per NCAA eligibilty rules.

Kinne didn't look very good at all in the spring according to all the orange bloods I know. I don't agree about his arm strength or his running style being compared to Tim Tebow.

Actually, Kinne's accuracy was a problem at Texas. He couldn't lead his team at Gilmer past the first round and they were loaded with D-1 talent.

Kinne will not do much at the collegiate level. I bet if you asked TD if he wanted Kinne over Justin Willis, that Todd would pick Justin and I have no doubts he would feel the same way about Vizza and Riley.

Kinne didn't look very good at all in the spring according to all the orange bloods I know. I don't agree about his arm strength or his running style being compared to Tim Tebow.

Actually, Kinne's accuracy was a problem at Texas. He couldn't lead his team at Gilmer past the first round and they were loaded with D-1 talent.

Kinne will not do much at the collegiate level. I bet if you asked TD if he wanted Kinne over Justin Willis, that Todd would pick Justin and I have no doubts he would feel the same way about Vizza and Riley.

Yeah, Kinne sucks. Some of the schools that offered him scholarships like UT, OU and USC are horrible at evaluating talent.

When you write that Gilmer lost in the first round of the playoffs Kinne's senior year you fail to mention that the team that beat them (by three points) was the eventual state champion.

As a junior Kinne took a Canton team that had no other D-1 talent to the state quarterfinals. You question his running style? Kinne rushed for more than 1,000 yards as a junior and as a senior and scored 15 rushing touchdowns each season, too. I saw him play in person many times and I assure you his running style is very Tim Tebow-like.

Kinne's problem at Texas had nothing to do with his accuracy or anything else he could control. His problem at Texas was he was playing behind a record-setting quarterback who has two years of eligibility left.

GJ Kinne will be an all-conference D-1 quarterback. I don't care where he lands. I would trade him straight up for Riley and Vizza. We will have to wait and see, I guess.

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

Kinne had no offers from usc or ou. Your kidding yourself if you think USC wanted GJ Kinne.

He was recruited by baylor ( his dad) and then a last minute deal by ut.

Why UT wanted him no body in Austin knows. Kinne would never take a snap in the BIG 12.

Coach Dodge is the only reason UNT got the 4 A and 5A players of the year

You are wrong.

Here is a partial list of the schools that offered Kinne, including USC...

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewp...sp?pr_key=36593

Kinne was offered by USC, but did not go there because he was not their first choice. Which is ironic, because he went to Texas even though he was the Longhorn's second choice after they got spurned by John Brantley. Here is a selection about his recruitment by the Trojans.

http://trojansfootball.blogspot.com/2006/0...update-426.html

"The next prospect (not in tier 1 or 2 according to Scout.com) on the Trojans list would likely be G.J. Kinne (6’2”, 210) of Canton, TX. Kinne has offers from Alabama, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Tennessee but recently took an unofficial visit to USC"

Interesting to compare apples and oranges. Until you put each of the QBs onto the field you will really not know what you are going to get. How would each of them play on a different team and in different situations is anybody's guess. I don't think anyone can argue that Mack Brown has had some difficulties putting a Heisman Trophy quality QB on the field. Of all of the group mentioned you can throw Vince Young out, no QB would be able to touch him in the situation he was in. I will argue that Vizza would likely be a better QB in the UT system than Colt McCoy. I would argue the same point of Riley Dodge but it would be a stretch since he has never taken a college snap. Bottom line is there is no was to pick the better QB when they are all in different situations.

If Kinne is leaving Texas, as he says, because he wants more playing time, why would he come to UNT, where Vizza was a freshman All-American, and Riley Dodge won as many awards as anyone could in Texas High School Football. Also, as a barber here in Euless told me, "If your offense scores 64 points and the team loses, it's not the fault of the offense".

Here is a partial list of the schools that offered Kinne, including USC...

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewp...sp?pr_key=36593

Uhhhhh...show me the USC offer in this link.

I do, though, think it's cute how some our fans continue to think that because UT and Mack Brown offer a guy a scholarship that he is better than what we have.

Perhaps none of them have noticed that UT's savior, Vince Young (You know, the ONLY reason they have a Big XII or National title), is currently sucking it up in Tennessee.

Perhaps none of them have noticed that UT's savior, Vince Young (You know, the ONLY reason they have a Big XII or National title), is currently sucking it up in Tennessee.

Yeah all of our former QB's are really lighting it up in the NFL. (make no mistake, as a Texans fan, I wish the Titans failure for eternity so I'm glad)

It may be the major reason they won a championship and a title but Mack did recruit him, so I'm not sure where you're going with your comment. I can think of 119 other d-1 programs that would have been happy to have him- regardless of what he'd do in the NFL.

If you don't think an elite program like UT pulls better recruits, just look at the combined score the last 3 times we've played them. Or maybe it was just because they had those nice fans and cooling systems for their players. That was probably the difference.

Edited by Eagle1855

I giggle a little knowing that Kinnie is walking away from the Tobacco road con-man and the horns. Mack Brown insists on running the same offense that VY thrived in, when he has a QB in McCoy that isn't suited for it. Then he has a more physical runner in Kinnie and he walks away. That gives me the warm fuzzies inside. And just to add to the above argument - Kinnie is a BCS conf. quarterback, and should go to a big school that is actually televised on Saturdays. I wouldn't mind having him here, but he is so talented it would create a bigger log-jam than we already have. We already have depth at the position. His name is Riley Dodge.

Uhhhhh...show me the USC offer in this link.

I do, though, think it's cute how some our fans continue to think that because UT and Mack Brown offer a guy a scholarship that he is better than what we have.

Hey Emmitt, I know this might be hard to believe, but teams like USC and Texas tend to recruit the same caliber of players and sometimes BOTH schools offer the SAME player a scholarship. Although I cannot provide you with audio from the wire GJ Kinne was wearing in his underwear when Pete Carroll offered him a scholarship as proof, I can tell you that two years ago I read multiple sources on the Internet and talked to multiple people in Canton who told me GJ turned down USC.

And I don't think Kinne is better because Mack Brown offered him a scholarship. I think he is better because I have seen Kinne, Vizza and Dodge play in person and although I like all three players and consider Dodge and Vizza easily the most talented quarterbacks UNT has had since returning to D1, Kinne (in my humble opinion, you are welcome to your own) is the most talented of the three players. As a junior Kinne threw 47 touchdowns and 1 interception and rushed for 1300 yards and 15 touchdowns. His UT career was doomed the moment he committed there, but he will be a college football star.

Your right I wouldn't even want North Texas to win a National Championship unless I knew our QB was going to win the Super Bowl his rookie year in thh NFL. Rookie of the year and making making the playoffs just doesn't cut it.

I agree that just because Texas is interested doesn't mean they are better but don't bring Vince Young is a bust into it.

You know who really suck Danny Wueffel, Josh White and Chris Weinke who honestly would want to win a Heisman and national championship it they are just going to suck it up in the pros.