A New Post-season Tournament (the Cbi)

SUMG

I was reading in today's FW Startlegram....that this year, the CBI (College Basketball Invitational).....will make its' debut....giving 16 more teams some post season action.

So besides the 65 spots in the NCAA tourney and the 32 in the NIT....the CBI will add another 16....making the grand total.....113.

The CBI will be televised by Fox College Sports. The first three rounds will be played at campus sites. The two finalists will play a "best of three" series, with the higher seeded team hosting the first and third (if necessary) games. The lower seeded team would host the 2nd game. (That could be a lot of travel if the two finalists are from opposite ends of the country).

Anyway, the CBI plans to battle with the NIT....for teams that don't make The Big Dance.

That could get interesting since the NCAA now owns the NIT. You don't want to hack off the NCAA.

But for teams who don't get invited to either....this does provide another post-season opportunity. I presume that if we don't win the SBC tourney......and don't get a NIT invite....that we'd be the type of team that this new tournament is looking for....

Edited by SUMG

Are they going to try and select Power league schools or Mid majors? That's my question.

According to today's article....they're going to go after the 66th team.....after the 65 are picked for the NCAA tourney. Thus, they will be fighting with the NIT. I can't imagine any team taking this tourney, over the NIT. Especially, since today is the first time I've ever even heard of it. (and it starts on the 18th).

We'll see what happens....I'll bet they get a lot of turn downs, even from teams not going to the NCAA or NIT.

Here's their site:

http://www.gazellegroup.com/cbi/index_main.htm

No one would take this over the NIT. Well, I wouldn't think so anyways. (I still would argue winning the NIT is a bigger achievement than just making the Dance too, but that's another deal altogether)

I did hear about this new tourney briefly last year, I read a blurb on ESPN.com or something, but forgot about it.

Edited by CMJ

i see the benefit being for some teams that would probably go on the road for the first round of the nit, this tournament might give them the opportunity for another home game (and the ability to sell tickets, etc.), not to mention another win or two to push some to 20 wins for the year (that might mean something to a few teams).

Is the television, FCS= Fox College Sports, a part of FSN?

This Tourney sounds interesting, haven't heard of it before, but I bet most invitees and host schools with be tied to season attendance and $ support for this to be able to make it survive. They will want a 15-14 Missouri-type school that will sell 10,000 tickets as opposed to a 20-10 UTA that averages only 700.