State Of The Squad By Position - W Rs

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guest GrayEagleOne

Since we have three returning starters, it's not very complicated in determining the starters but after that it gets very difficult in this overcrowded position. But it's a nice problem to have since all are quality players.

Casey Fitzgerald 5-11 186 4.5 SR Played in 12 games last year

Brock Stickler 6-3 219 4.6 SR Played in 12 games last year

Isiah Smith 5-8 175 4.6 SR Played in 8 games last year

Roderick Johnson 6-2 190 4.5 SR Played in 5 games last year

Korey Washington 5-10 186 4.4 JR Played in 12 games last year

Arthur Stubblefield 5-10 180 4.5 JR

Kevin Dickerson 5-10 187 ? JR Played in 3 games last year

Eric Fentress 6-1 185 4.5 SO Sat out last year due to transfer rule

Sam Dibrell 6-1 205 ? SO Played in 6 games last year

Breece Johnson 6-2 175 4.5 SO Played in 2 games last year

B. J. Lewis 6-1 190 4.5 SO Played in 12 games last year

Marcus King 6-3 200 4.6 FR Redshirt

Evan Walker 5-11 185 4.5 FR Redshirt

Bret Barrow 6-2 168 ? FR

Erik Lichty 6-1 175 ? FR

Kenny Barrett 6-4 190 4.6 FR

Desmond Brigham 6-2 187 4.5 FR

Forrest Rucker 6-5 200 4.6 FR

Willie Taylor 5-9 159 4.5 FR

Returning starter

Non-scholarship player

In addition to the all-america Fitzgerald (who ranked in the Top 10 in catches, yards and touchdowns), Stickler, and Washington, the fourth starter should be Eric Fentress. The Rice transfer has spped, hands, and the ability to get open. The #2 unit gets a little tougher but not the first two. Sam Dibrell caught 28 for 377 yards and 2 touchdowns last year in only six games. B.J. Lewis began the year on special teams but also played some at wide receiver. Marcus King, who was hurt and redshirted last year should move up. He has great hands on a team that didn't throw much in high school. I remember one video where he made a touchdown catch getting his hands on the back third of the football. My fourth member of that unit is Breece Johnson. I think that Evan Walker also gets into some games this coming year. But for the non-scholarship players, the pickings look slim. I don't see a lot of hope for Stubblefield this year either.

I think Fitzgerald and Fentress are the closest to being locks in the starting lineup. The other two positions will be up for grabs with Sam Roberson, Sam Dibrell, Beece Johnson, Brock Stickler, and Ken Washington fighting it out. Dibrell actually started at the end of last year. Ken Washington is probably the fastest of this group but may not start because he is more of an inside receiver and I expect Fentress and Fitzgerald to be the inside starters. Brock is a great blocker but may not have the speed of some others. I also see Johnson as an inside receiver. The true freshmen maybe all so in the race, but based on last year; I think TD will be slow to put them in a starting positions unless one truly excels.

My guess at starters, Fitzgerald and Fentress inside and Roberson and Dibrell on the outside.

Who are Eric Fentress and Ken Washington? Are they related to Evan Fentress and Korey Washington?

It's always tempting fate when one plays the role of spelling or grammar police.

Evan Fentriss says his cousins Evan and Eric Fentress are probably pretty good players, too.

(I still love you, ADLER)

Guest GrayEagleOne

Who are Eric Fentress and Ken Washington? Are they related to Evan Fentress and Korey Washington?

Sorry, Geoff. Evan Fentress is very closely related to Eric in that they are the same person. I definitely have Special K down as Korey but made a Freudiian slip. He should be pleased, I've already put him in the UNT Athletics Hall of Fame.

My original compilation timed out on me and when I reentered later I inadvertently omitted Sam Roberson. I had Sam listed right behind B. J. Lewis, which is to say he would definitely be a #1 backup. I look for big things from Sam. I still like Marcus King as the possession receiver, which would move Breece Johnson off of the second unit.

Sam Roberson should have been listed as 6-4 210 4.5 FR.

For sure starters will be Fitzgeral and Fentriss the other two starters in my opinion will be Washington and Dibrell, but I think this year we will see Todge use closer to eight receivers in a game like he said he would use before the season last year. This year we have a vast amount of wr talent and everyone in the passing game has a year of this offense under their belt, so Roberson, Stickler, Lewis and Breece Johnson should get a significant amount of pt...maybe Walker and Lewis could be interchangeable.

Edited by Green Crazy

Guest GrayEagleOne

For sure starters will be Fitzgeral and Fentriss the other two starters in my opinion will be Washington and Dibrell, but I think this year we will see Todge use closer to eight receivers in a game like he said he would use before the season last year. This year we have a vast amount of wr talent and everyone in the passing game has a year of this offense under their belt, so Roberson, Stickler, Lewis and Breece Johnson should get a significant amount of pt...maybe Walker and Lewis could be interchangeable.

Stickler was the "possession" receiver last year. The big target to keep drives alive. Fitzgerald, Fentriss, Washington and Dibrell, good receivers all, are not big targets. Stick had 37 catches last year, the third most on the squad, behind Fitzgerald and Jackson, and scored a couple of touchdowns. Dibrell had 27 catches last year in only six games so he very well could replace Washington as a starter but I don't think he'd replace Stickler. Roberson and King, 6-3/6-4, would be more apt to replace Stickler as a starter IMO, but neither have the experience that Stick does.

I do agree that there will be more widespread us of receivers this coming year.

Last season, I thought Stickler was a very good receiver.

The bad part of his season was he was wide open countless

times for TD's or 1st downs, only to have the pass sail

over his head. Most of these over thrown passes were due

to Vizza running for his life. With the improvement in the

OL, I do expect Stickler and Vizza to have a great 2008!

I do agree that there will be more widespread us of receivers this coming year.

I see more of an increase at the Tight End position than anything else. That troy game has to haunt our staff, if just a little bit. Plus, if your a non scholarship athlete and make up the majority of the Scout team, your about to find out how bad you want to play college ball because there's no more "Touching Up" touch football scrimmaging from the defense, anymore. So these non-scholarship guys who do make it throughout spring training and into the fall, scholarship or no scholarship, they will become some of the most important and "well deserved-of-respect" players on the team.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I wouldn't be so assured to believe that 3 of the starting positions will be filled by returning starters.

If I were putting 4 out there:

Casey Fitzgerald & Korey Washington inside (Casey speaks for himself, and I like Korey's versatility and speed when matched up on LB's)

Sam Dibrell & Sam Roberson outside (Size & speed with both of them)

B.J Lewis and Evan Fentriss inside backups (Lewis is a good bubble screen/drag across the middle guy, Fentriss is an exceptional route runner w/ great hands IF (hopefully) he is healthy).

Marcus King & Breece Johnson outside backups (King has outstanding size and is a good possession guy, Johnson has great hands and runs good routes)

Stickler can line up inside, but I like him alot in the 'Tornado' formation role as a TE/H Back type of guy.

DISCLAIMER* These are all contingent on the assumption that the true freshman will not play!

What I like about it though, is there are many different combinations/lineups you can put out there, and all are good options!

Who is Evan Fentress???? Is he related to Evan FENTRISS??????

(Sorry to call you out...how's that medicine taste???) :P

P.S. My bad...did not see that someone had already responded. So sorry...

Edited by NCMeanGreen