North Texas Officially Is Third Largest University In Texas

ADLER

The law of supply and demand. The more you supply at a cheaper price, the higher the demand; usually quality suffers though :whistling1:

Totally explains the Yugo's domination of the world car market. As well as the failure of the iPhone as a mobile phone device.

And to think I wasted so much time in school when I could have just gleaned the nuggets of Daddy Dumpsalot's knowledge.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GrayEagleOne

The law of supply and demand. The more you supply at a cheaper price, the higher the demand; usually quality suffers though :whistling1:

I still do not know why this is something to brag about. So what we have cheap tuition of course we're gonna be larger than the other universities in Texas. Sadly, we still fall wayyy behind them in all other areas.

Others seem to have called you to task because you have the law of supply and demand totally screwed up but would you elaborate on even some of the other areas that we are behind other universities in the state?

It's one thing to question some acts or policies but to question everything that the university does is getting a little old. We have about three or four new posters that are totally negative toware this university. Are you from another school? Troll? What is your purpose? Dumpsalot? At least you chose the right name.

Uhhh Im not sure what economics courses you guys took, but price DOES affect demand. It's an inverse relationship. As price increases, demand decreases. If pizza cost $400, the demand for them would certainly decline. Wouldn't matter how many pizzas you made, at $400, people couldn't afford them. They would instead opt for some other food.

Which is what happened with the Yugo. If the Yugo had only cost $50, a lot of people would have purchased them. However, that was not the case. It was more like a $400 pizza. The iPhone was successful because people were willing and able to pay $400 for a phone. Hence, the price didn't affect the demand or perceived value. In this sense, Apple found their price equilibrium.

Also, the idea that more quantity supplied at a lower price creates demand falls apart with when applied to UNT football. FREE tickets are not incentive enough to fill out the student section during many games. In this instance there are other factors that affect demand. You have to create a product that gives people INCENTIVE to attend games (wins, notable opponent, pride in school) that's value is perceived to be a worthwhile way to spend their time, meaning it is greater than the the opportunity cost of what they could be doing (yard work, TV, homework, etc). That or you'd have to pay them to show up (lower price even further). Personally, I vote for the former.

Edited by Eagle1855

You're also forgetting about the quality of our School of Business, especially Accounting which was clearly top ten nationally when I graduated, as well as many other programs. I was hoping that the inferiority complex was starting to wane a bit, but apparently it is not among some. I guess a lot of that comes from people who could not get into their school of choice coming out of high school. I think some of that also filters down from some UNT professors who think that they are Harvard caliber and are unhappy at having to settle for teaching in Denton. Really kind of sad.

I'd like to add the Risk Management and Insurance program in as well. The fact that my degree is from North Texas, one of really only 4 in the entire South, has helped me tremendously. In my field people recognize the excellence and I am a proud alumni.

I hate people that crap on the school they went to.

Can we do better? Sure but lets highlight the positive and sell your school

Daddy Dumps alot's comments remind me of a head coach we just ran out of here

Price only affects the demand along the curve, or the "quantity of demand". The demand curve itself does not shift because of the price.

At a set demand curve, the quantity demanded for a pizza at a price of $400 is practically zero. The quantity demanded at $12 is a bit higher.

Now, go to an island where people have only coconuts. Will the price of your pizza affect demand? No, the demand for pizza is already there and it is quite high!

Price does not shift the demand curve, it can only cause movement along the demand curve, ceteris paribus.

Price only affects the demand along the curve, or the "quantity of demand". The demand curve itself does not shift because of the price.

At a set demand curve, the quantity demanded for a pizza at a price of $400 is practically zero. The quantity demanded at $12 is a bit higher.

Now, go to an island where people have only coconuts. Will the price of your pizza affect demand? No, the demand for pizza is already there and it is quite high!

Price does not shift the demand curve, it can only cause movement along the demand curve, ceteris paribus.

thanks, fully aware of all this. At the risk of hanging myself out to dry, I was a Business Economics major.

My point is simply to say, the guy is half-right in saying one element of what has allowed UNT to grow into the third largest school in the state is the fact that it is competitively priced. Other factors affect incentive to attend UNT, (the perceived value of a UNT degree) include the degree programs offered (and relative prestige of said programs), geographical location, and a host of other factors (like having a family member there). If UNT cost 40k per, the enrollment would decline severely. People would go to other state schools.

Where he is wrong is assuming lower prices attract a lower-caliber consumer, or, student. Which earns him a "Douchey" award.

For example - We are talking about $2K semester less for UNT vs ATM

http://education-portal.com/articles/Texas...er_Schools.html

What is the big deal?

To me ATM, UT, UNT and TT are about the same cost - all within 20% - plus when you add cost of living I would assume the gap gets closer with ATM and TT. Just my opinion.

I still do not know why this is something to brag about. So what we have cheap tuition of course we're gonna be larger than the other universities in Texas. Sadly, we still fall wayyy behind them in all other areas.

Isn't there a saying about ignorance and bliss? You should change your name to Daddy Blissfully Dumpsalot.

Other way around. It is currently called BCIS, and yes it is a good program! :D

UNT had the first BCIS program in the country.

BCIS used to be the department name, now it is ITDS. They changed it a couple years after I graduated in 2003. They still have the BCIS and DSCI (formerly MSCI?) degrees.

I'd like to thank NT for teaching COBOL and mainframe, as it helped me get a job with the world's largest retailer, Wal-Mart.

These are the same people who will shuffle their feet in embarassment when asked 10 years from now where they went to college. I hang my North Texas battle Flag in my office and have my bulletin board decked out with Mean Green paraphernalia. No school spirit?? That's a result of YOUR own poor attitude, missy.

School spirit is what you make of it, and it returns what you put into it. I ran flag for something like 3 years, wear green on Fridays where I work, and even have a "North Texas" morale patch that goes to the field with me.

On the same note, when I was in high school, I only attended the football games I presented US/TX colors for and that was it. I didn't care for school spirit back then, but it's the other way around with my college experience.

Congrats on your coming degree, BTW.

Another first that our school has is the first EADP program. I'm not in it, but I know two folks who are and the program seems to be sharp.

"All other areas" huh?

At Creative Summit and the Dallas Society of Visual Communications, UNT has consistently been among the top places, with the only real competition being from Texas State. The Comm Design program is so strong that some agencies consider the program to be worth a few years of real world experience. Can't beat that.

The art division also recently added the New Media program, this specializes in art built for software, interactive experiences, etc, for things like video games, installation art, and television and film. Why? Because software companies realize the value of smart design, and because there are video game companies opening doors for artists in Carollton and Addison.

UNT also happens to have on its staff, one of the forefront researchers in Animal Assisted Therapy.

I'm sure we can all pitch in on this in some way or another. I mean, except you, Dumpsalot.

Sometimes, I wonder why you're even on this board. I mean, when the team doesn't do well, or when the admin or whomever doesn't meet expectations, that's fine to hear and probably understandable. It's easy to see when the football program or golf falls on its face. It's a lot harder to say that for an entire college.

Edited by meangreendork

Consider this piling on! Sir, you are a GAS BAG! I'm going to bet you routinely got beat up during 3rd grade recess and you are currently getting abused during recreation time in some remote detention center! You are a little bit unhappy with life!

Edited by GreenExes

I am reading many good points and also some overly hostile reactions to Daddy D's remarks.

I have no intentions of fueling the fire but I will say this:

I really enjoyed my time at UNT. My fondest memories are of the years I spent on that campus and because of that I have great pride in the University.

Regardless of my undying love I would like to see UNT continue to get better in both academics and athletics. Is UNT a quality education? Absolutely! Be that as it may, we still fail to achieve notable rankings in US News or Princeton Review. (with the exception of our Jazz program) And, to argue those rankings are meaningless is akin to arguing that Rivals stars are not important for our football recruits. Funny how that song changed once the stars started rolling in this year.

With regards to athletics I go to every game I can and cheer as loud as I can. But, that does not mean that I can not want and expect more for our teams in the future. Is it too much to think that the third largest school in the state should be playing in a BCS Conference? Today, yes. But how about 5 or 10 years from now? I think that and I think one day we will be doing just that.

Even with our loyalty and love for UNT there is no shame in holding higher expectations. Hell, $2,500 a year of my money goes to helping them achieve those higher expectations. I am confident that is money well spent.

I am reading many good points and also some overly hostile reactions to Daddy D's remarks.

I have no intentions of fueling the fire but I will say this:

I really enjoyed my time at UNT. My fondest memories are of the years I spent on that campus and because of that I have great pride in the University.

Regardless of my undying love I would like to see UNT continue to get better in both academics and athletics. Is UNT a quality education? Absolutely! Be that as it may, we still fail to achieve notable rankings in US News or Princeton Review. (with the exception of our Jazz program) And, to argue those rankings are meaningless is akin to arguing that Rivals stars are not important for our football recruits. Funny how that song changed once the stars started rolling in this year.

With regards to athletics I go to every game I can and cheer as loud as I can. But, that does not mean that I can not want and expect more for our teams in the future. Is it too much to think that the third largest school in the state should be playing in a BCS Conference? Today, yes. But how about 5 or 10 years from now? I think that and I think one day we will be doing just that.

Even with our loyalty and love for UNT there is no shame in holding higher expectations. Hell, $2,500 a year of my money goes to helping them achieve those higher expectations. I am confident that is money well spent.

I believe others have posted it, but U.S. News & World Report's Tier I, II, III or IV classifications use a school's financial coffers, ie, endowment, as a fairly large part of their tier system rankings of colleges and universities. Anyone else remember the huge Dallas Morning News article a few years ago on USNWR's tier ranking? I especially remember reading 2 distinct parts of that article and they were:

(1) How Texas Tech not long after they sent a full delegation to wine & dine the U.S. News & World Report powers that be suddenly (almost overnight) went up one tier? :rolleyes: Still......all power to Texas Tech for being so pro-active and they do have a larger financial endowment than all of ours favorite alma mater.

(2) The (then) UT-Austin prez' all but made fun of the methods U.S. News & World Report used to rank schools.

Told an ad salesman from College Station just today who I am purchasing a Palo Pinto/Parker County yellow page ad for my business venture about several of our UNT rich & famous alums (and he, like most other Texans many of you have probably told the same) could hardly believe all the names he was hearing who went to UNT.

I also told him that the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board down in Austin had UNT projected to grow larger than TAMU within the next 10 years and that one almost blew him away.

Granted, we are located in a population center of amost 7,000,000 Metroplexers, but UNT (for a non-Permanent University Funded school) is still a great school & one drawing more notice & interest than ever before. We really do need to build for our future (and that means more than just our eventual new football stadium, too).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

You're right, Jim but as flawed as the USN&WR tiers ranking is it's still followed by John Q Public, who don't know or don't care about agendas. Another big factor was alumni giving as well, and with so many alums, our giving rate was below 5%.

Maybe we need to get ap a delegation to go to their headquarters; it worked for Tech. Their enrollmnet increase percentage almost keeps pace with ouys and it's a little harder to get people to live in Lubbock. The school is fine and the people are great but it's still Lubbock.

By the way, I saw that our endowment is up over $70M now. That's improvement, but still a long way to go. I believe that it was down around 40 when you brought it to our attention.

Guest 97and03

You're right, Jim but as flawed as the USN&WR tiers ranking is it's still followed by John Q Public, who don't know or don't care about agendas. Another big factor was alumni giving as well, and with so many alums, our giving rate was below 5%.

Maybe we need to get ap a delegation to go to their headquarters; it worked for Tech. Their enrollmnet increase percentage almost keeps pace with ouys and it's a little harder to get people to live in Lubbock. The school is fine and the people are great but it's still Lubbock.

By the way, I saw that our endowment is up over $70M now. That's improvement, but still a long way to go. I believe that it was down around 40 when you brought it to our attention.

According to the Chronicle of Higher Education, here is where UNT stands:

Rank June 30, 2007 June 30, 2006 One-year change

390. U of North Texas $92,584 $68,620 34.9%

http://chronicle.com/premium/stats/endowme...=&showall=1

Having such a small endowment also affects how UNT is viewed in all the rankings. Just for some perspective, some powerhouse colleges that have larger endowments include W Kentucky, Montana St, the University of the Ozarks, Hardin-Simmons, Utah St, Inter American U of Puerto Rico, New Mexico State, FAU, Idaho..oh hell you get the idea.

UNT alumni need to step up!

EDIT: To give us some credit, UNT did have one of the 30 largest increases from 2006 to 2007.

Edited by 97and03

According to the Chronicle of Higher Education, here is where UNT stands:

Rank June 30, 2007 June 30, 2006 One-year change

390. U of North Texas $92,584 $68,620 34.9%

http://chronicle.com/premium/stats/endowme...=&showall=1

Having such a small endowment also affects how UNT is viewed in all the rankings. Just for some perspective, some powerhouse colleges that have larger endowments include W Kentucky, Montana St, the University of the Ozarks, Hardin-Simmons, Utah St, Inter American U of Puerto Rico, New Mexico State, FAU, Idaho..oh hell you get the idea.

UNT alumni need to step up!

EDIT: To give us some credit, UNT did have one of the 30 largest increases from 2006 to 2007.

So I guess we are talking about the amount of money given to the university, not just athletics right? not to hijack but since we are talking about donors, I am proud to announce that for the first time I was able to join the mgc and become a season ticket holder and I re uped my exes membership. I am pretty excited about that.