Mean Joe Green

Dodge2007

How about hiring MJG to chair the fund raising committee for the stadium. Joe could get RV into many doors that might not be open. Joe could solicit Staubach in Dallas and then get H. Ross and Cuban on board. We need just see a new scoreboard at Mean Joe Green field sponsored by Mark Cuban or whoever.

Edited by Dodge2007

How about hiring MJG to chair the fund raising committee for the stadium. Joe could get RV into many doors that might not be open. Joe could solicit Staubach in Dallas and then get H. Ross and Cuban on board. We need just see a new scoreboard at Mean Joe Green field sponsored by Mark Cuban or whoever.

Know you're a relative "newbie", but please spell his name correctly. Its Greene. :devil:

Why do you believe Joe can get into doors that RV can't? He has no connection what so ever to Ross Perot. The Staubach company is one of Dallas' most successful commercial real estate firms but I don't think Joe Greene has any special connection to it's founder. Joe is a very nice guy and is extremely friendly, but he simply is not what you would call a corporate power broker in Dallas.

Why do you believe Joe can get into doors that RV can't? He has no connection what so ever to Ross Perot. The Staubach company is one of Dallas' most successful commercial real estate firms but I don't think Joe Greene has any special connection to it's founder. Joe is a very nice guy and is extremely friendly, but he simply is not what you would call a corporate power broker in Dallas.

I agree I think someone is over estimating Mean Joes connections.

Greene is in the Hall of Fame boys. UNT could do far worse. Joe Greene opens doors, imo. I believe he has the street cred. to get Staubach, Coca Cola, Cuban and many others to listen.

Mean Joe Greene field sponsored by Coke. I just don't see how Joe couldn't help. He is a legend that is worth something to this community and to football in general.

So you guys think that we don't have a committee already? And you guys don't know who's chairing it? There is more happening behind the scenes that you folks know. I'm almost positive I'm not the only one here that knows that. I don't know if Joe Greene is on it or not, but I feel confident that our committee is in very good hands.

So you guys think that we don't have a committee already? And you guys don't know who's chairing it? There is more happening behind the scenes that you folks know. I'm almost positive I'm not the only one here that knows that. I don't know if Joe Greene is on it or not, but I feel confident that our committee is in very good hands.

Actually I didn't realize it was just Dodge2007 making those posts. Makes sense for someone new to make those comments. It's a good thought that our most storied player would lead the charge. I hope he's on the committee, but while Mean Joe is a superstar, He did come from the NFL in an era that historically doesn't pay what it does today. I'm not sure what MJG's worth is, and it is none of my business, and it's really not right for me to make assumptions, but I think there are some folks interested in building a stadium that have more experience in fund raising and money making.

Actually I didn't realize it was just Dodge2007 making those posts. Makes sense for someone new to make those comments. It's a good thought that our most storied player would lead the charge. I hope he's on the committee, but while Mean Joe is a superstar, He did come from the NFL in an era that historically doesn't pay what it does today. I'm not sure what MJG's worth is, and it is none of my business, and it's really not right for me to make assumptions, but I think there are some folks interested in building a stadium that have more experience in fund raising and money making.

WELL I SURE HOPE WE ARE FINDING THEM!!! Contacts at So. Miss & LSU won't get a cup of coffee with a dime in DFW. There have been offers to help from some who have had coaching contact with the sons of the rich and famous in Dallas who have offered to help and been told "no thanks" by athletics. IMHO Athletics and Development need more professional fund raisers --not more trainees. recent losses in Development---Schrader, Davidson, Vinson---in Athletics-- Fralicks. This is just another of the myriad of reasons that the athletic budget needs to be increased by realistic student athletic fees comparable to our competition. See last Fri. DMN on tuition fee increases of $16-$17 per semester hour or $300-$500 per semester for a full time student. Increase to be used to "enhance the reputation of the university". What would accomplish this more than realistic D-1 funding for athletics?

WELL I SURE HOPE WE ARE FINDING THEM!!! Contacts at So. Miss & LSU won't get a cup of coffee with a dime in DFW. There have been offers to help from some who have had coaching contact with the sons of the rich and famous in Dallas who have offered to help and been told "no thanks" by athletics. IMHO Athletics and Development need more professional fund raisers --not more trainees. recent losses in Development---Schrader, Davidson, Vinson---in Athletics-- Fralicks. This is just another of the myriad of reasons that the athletic budget needs to be increased by realistic student athletic fees comparable to our competition. See last Fri. DMN on tuition fee increases of $16-$17 per semester hour or $300-$500 per semester for a full time student. Increase to be used to "enhance the reputation of the university". What would accomplish this more than realistic D-1 funding for athletics?

Well, I don't know who told them "no thanks", and you might know more than I do, but I can't imagine that happening. We do have a search committee to my knowledge and there are some incredibly wealthy folks that are a part of it.

In a perfect world getting Mean Joe would be excellent and would all of a sudden be able to raise money....however it doesn't work like that. We are talking about money here. If someone gives or spends money they want to know its going into a good thing and afcourse rich people are stingy with their money. Its harder getting money from a rich person than an average joe.

Well, I don't know who told them "no thanks", and you might know more than I do, but I can't imagine that happening. We do have a search committee to my knowledge and there are some incredibly wealthy folks that are a part of it.

It happened and came eventually from one of the regents after conferring with the A D. There are many egos involved in this huge project. IMHO that's why it has proceeded like DD's stealth recruiting under a vail of secrecy. I don't care who gets it or how----- just show me the money. We need more of a sense of urgency and more creative, imaginitive ideas for financing as well as fundraising. It takes professionals not committees that meet for the sake of meeting--educators at universities are famous for this.

Edited by DallasGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

I agree that Joe Greene should not be doing the job of the fundraisers. But, his name might still be utilized with a minimum of effort on his part. Draft a personal letter from him to all alums asking for a donation/pledge of $5,000 over the next five years for the stadium fund. Have a brick with their name on the stadium facade. Maybe each donor could be given a Mean Joe Greene replica jersey with his number '75'. But you can't buy one; the only way that you can get one is to donate five grand toward the stadium. That's $5M for every 1K that we can get to sign up. I think that we can have the stadium paid for in less than ten years. If no one comes up with the amount for naming rights, then we can just call it Alumni Stadium. Use that or a separate campaign for corporations in Denton and Denton County. We can do this. We just need to get rolling by summer.

Edited by GrayEagleOne