Major it expected to make his deal official with UT tonight. After only one year at Rice and then one year at Bama, Applewhite is gone and hits the next trail. Contracts don't mean crap and that has to change soon because recruits are getting burned.

Applewhite signed a two-year contract at $250,000 annually with a $50,000 buyout at Alabama before last season.

Applewhite can't be announced as a member of the Texas staff until the close of business today.

Edited by Dodge2007

Major it expected to make his deal official with UT tonight. After only one year at Rice and then one year at Bama, Applewhite is gone and hits the next trail. Contracts don't mean crap and that has to change soon because recruits are getting burned.

Applewhite signed a two-year contract at $250,000 annually with a $50,000 buyout at Alabama before last season.

Applewhite can't be announced as a member of the Texas staff until the close of business today.

Contracts have buyouts for a reason. If he pays the buyout, then he is in compliance with the contract. On the otherhand, I do agree that all his jumping around is unprofessional. In my line a work, a resume with that number of jobs in such a short time would not be looked at as a good thing.

Contracts have buyouts for a reason. If he pays the buyout, then he is in compliance with the contract. On the otherhand, I do agree that all his jumping around is unprofessional. In my line a work, a resume with that number of jobs in such a short time would not be looked at as a good thing.

Same for most any job but in sports if you know what you're doing and keep winning it really doesn't matter what kind of loyalty you show you'll always find a job.

Same for most any job but in sports if you know what you're doing and keep winning it really doesn't matter what kind of loyalty you show you'll always find a job.

Sad, but true. At least he didn't get too attached to those kids at Rice and Bama. But you gotta to feel for the ones he coached

himself and if he was the one, who recruited that particular kid.

I do agree that all his jumping around is unprofessional. In my line a work, a resume with that number of jobs in such a short time would not be looked at as a good thing.

While I generally agree with this statement, I would be inclined to view his departure from Rice as a layoff. The head coach left for Tulsa so Major left too.

Major basically took a demotion to come to UT. Obviously, that is where he wants to be, and I doubt he leaves for a while unless a HC gig comes calling.

This move only makes sense to me if one of two things happens. One, Greg Davis (offensive coordinator) is planning on retiring in the next year or two and wants to hand the reigns to Applewhite. Two, as it has been rumored in Austin, that Mack Brown might be done coaching in the next 3-5 years and UT preimptively brought Major Applewhite on board to be their future head coach (albeit 3+ years down the road). Otherwise, this a move backwards (although the pay is very competitive) as he will be taking on less responsibility.

Guest 97and03

This move only makes sense to me if one of two things happens. One, Greg Davis (offensive coordinator) is planning on retiring in the next year or two and wants to hand the reigns to Applewhite. Two, as it has been rumored in Austin, that Mack Brown might be done coaching in the next 3-5 years and UT preimptively brought Major Applewhite on board to be their future head coach (albeit 3+ years down the road). Otherwise, this a move backwards (although the pay is very competitive) as he will be taking on less responsibility.

That is what I think this is all about.

And all of this means what to us as NT fans and supporters? I could care less and I am surprised this is being discussed on this board.

I'm sort of in agreement with you. However, it IS the offseason, so expect to see detailed goings ons regarding our in state "brethren". :)

I think DMN was the one who hinted that Saban wouldn't given Applewhite enough control of the offense so he was leaving. Difference of philosophy perhaps?

Rice was a stepping stone he was gone no matter who the coach. It has long been rumored that that Saban is very difficult to work with but has gotten better since being at Bama. Applewhite is coming home which is a big deal (a dream) for most athletes. Good luck to him.