Bcs Games

so what does that say about LSU? I mean, they lost to an average-at-best Arkansas team and a Kentucky team that could barely beat an FSU team that was missing 36 players.

Maybe the 2 best teams in the nation have already played. Give me OU, USC, and Georgia over either of them.

Arkansas played Mizzou without a head coach. Iff Houston's Nutts was still there it may have been at least competitive. I challenge you all to look at the bowl teams who lost coaches before season's end and look at their records. This is the reason I'm cleaning up in Bowl pick 'em.

Edit: Here is what I found:

Bowl losers who've lost coaches:

Arkansas-Nutt

Georgia Tech-Gailey

Texas A&M-Fran

Houston-Briles

Southern Miss-Bower

Navy-Johnson

UCLA-Dorrell

Edited by Cr1028

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arkansas played Mizzou without a head coach. Iff Houston's Nutts was still there it may have been at least competitive. I challenge you all to look at the bowl teams who lost coaches before season's end and look at their records. This is the reason I'm cleaning up in Bowl pick 'em.

Edit: Here is what I found:

Bowl losers who've lost coaches:

Arkansas-Nutt

Georgia Tech-Gailey

Texas A&M-Fran

Houston-Briles

Southern Miss-Bower

Navy-Johnson

UCLA-Dorrell

Make no mistake, that was still very much Nutt's coaching staff.....only difference was he wasn't there. Now that that era is done....

I have a better system than the BCS or the playoff system. It's the TFLF System. There are no computers or polls. The teams play the season, then the NCAA consults me...because I'm just as qualified as the idiots who have constructed the current mess!

Anyway, here's what I would have done.

Title game:

Virginia Tech versus Ohio State

Fiesta Bowl:

Missouri versus Arizona State

Orange Bowl:

Hawaii versus West Virginia

Sugar Bowl:

Oklahoma versus Georgia

Rose Bore:

Southern Cal versus LSU

Of all the screwed teams, Virginia Tech is the screwed-est. They lost twice...both times to teams ranked #2 in the country. No other two-loss team lost to schools as highly ranked. The only two who come close are Arizona State who lost to a #4 and a #11, and Missouri who lost to a #6 and a #9. Now, if uh 6 turned out to be 9....

Anyway. The truth is, it's a joke that a team that lost to the 2007 Razorbacks is in the title game. Don't get me wrong. I've got nothing personally against Arkansas. They were my favorite SWC team. They are my second favorite SEC team (after woebegone Alabama). But, this year's squad was basically McFadden or bust. LSU freakin' lost to this team.

Also, as to USC's claim to a share of the title? Give me a break. They lost at home to Stanford. It doesn't matter that their starting QB was out. They should be able to run Stanford out of their building any day of the week with the second team in there. Please.

And, Kansas...don't even get me started. They play one good team all season and get their backsides handed to them. It's insulting to make Virginia Tech play the Jayhawks. I predict another embarassing blowout.

Also, screw Illinois. The Big Ten was weak. It's bad enough that Ohio State slips into the title game because everyone else has two losses. That LSU will undeservedly be the team that rips them a new one is an even bigger disgrace. Troy would play LSU closer than Ohio State.

That's right. I said it. I think Troy State would be more of a game than Ohio State for LSU. So sue me. I'm no crazier than the idiots who set up and perpetuate the current BCS system.

THE END.

That really doesn't change anything, you still have to plan. Who is the away team who gets home field advantage how far do you have to travel. Is Hawaii in the picture?

Well it actually DOES change some things because instead of a student body (it is, after all, COLLEGE football) planning a trip to some obscure bowl destination, they need only make it back to their campus for the first round or two, which would be decided by whoever was ranked/seeded higher (which is the same way they do it at the 1AA level).

So, yes, Hawaii would have to travel. And no, that's not anyone's problem but Hawai'i. By having a D1A program in the middle of the pacific ocean, they understand there will be associated travel costs. I doubt very seriously that this would be a huge issue, as they would likely only be in the playoffs once in a blue moon (same for the rest of the non-BCS schools).

You have to plan for post-season REGARDLESS. Whether your team is going to the New Orleans Bowl or a playoff, you still make last second plans. The same is true for the NCAA tournament (though at least the last couple games on the way to a title are in the same place).

(And the picture of the haggard opportunist in my avatar is just a joke.)

1855 said it for me. The 1-AA folks don't seem to have a problem with the travel. Not everyone will be able to make every game. Ask App State fans if it ruined their experiences?

And I completely agree with TFLF in that Troy would have given LSU a better game. They would have given Georgia a better game as well.

I still haven't heard this mentioned by the so called experts yet in trying to explain this crazy season. But I answer it by saying that not EVERYONE can play for the top 24 money-grubbers anymore. Our population is larger, there's more kids playing football. Just look at all the added high schools in the metroplex alone the past 10 to 20 years...example: (Mansfield ISD has 4 high schools now instead of 1, Keller ISD has...hell I'm not even sure how many more they have now, 3? 4?). Then compound this number by every state, every city and town. Plus there's the private school craze. There's too many good athletes now days and the bigger bankrollegiates can't hoard them anymore(85 scholarships). That at least explains Boise, Fresno, Troy, FAU, South FLorida, Central Florida etc.

Thoughts?

Rick

I still haven't heard this mentioned by the so called experts yet in trying to explain this crazy season. But I answer it by saying that not EVERYONE can play for the top 24 money-grubbers anymore. Our population is larger, there's more kids playing football. Just look at all the added high schools in the metroplex alone the past 10 to 20 years...example: (Mansfield ISD has 4 high schools now instead of 1, Keller ISD has...hell I'm not even sure how many more they have now, 3? 4?). Then compound this number by every state, every city and town. Plus there's the private school craze. There's too many good athletes now days and the bigger bankrollegiates can't hoard them anymore(85 scholarships). That at least explains Boise, Fresno, Troy, FAU, South FLorida, Central Florida etc.

Thoughts?

I've heard them talk about this phenomenon some when talking about parity. I think you're dead-on. In fact, in 10 years, it will probably get to the point where just about any D-1 program could beat another on any given day. ULM beating Bama is evidence of that. In the end, I don't think 2007 will be an aberration, rather a turning point. Of course, this is a relatively meaningless proclamation on my part, as it is impossible to dispute/refute...ha

But the fact that this is happening gives hope to schools like UNT. And in my opinion, reason to invest in athletics.

1855 said it for me. The 1-AA folks don't seem to have a problem with the travel. Not everyone will be able to make every game. Ask App State fans if it ruined their experiences?

Yes that definitely is 1-AA, big money and big money fans are not going to want to hop around from week to week, in the end it will be what big money fans want to do. And spoiled fat cats are not going to want deal with a crazy schedule when they don't have to already. Think how much planing goes in to just our games as far as work schedules and personal affairs calenders, could you imagine 4 weeks of not knowing? Now is that 4 possible games past a regular 12 game regular season, or does that mean an abbreviated season like 8 games. And the teams in a short season that don't make the playoffs is that it?

I've heard them talk about this phenomenon some when talking about parity. I think you're dead-on. In fact, in 10 years, it will probably get to the point where just about any D-1 program could beat another on any given day. ULM beating Bama is evidence of that. In the end, I don't think 2007 will be an aberration, rather a turning point. Of course, this is a relatively meaningless proclamation on my part, as it is impossible to dispute/refute...ha

But the fact that this is happening gives hope to schools like UNT. And in my opinion, reason to invest in athletics.

I agree with your assessment--it is getting awfully expensive to run a Division-I football program, though. When the other metroplex teams will pay millions for a coach and even more millions for superb stadium/facilities, I just hope that we don't say that this game is too expensive for our university. Unfortunately, with the last 30 years being our history, if certain mindsets get put back into place, I could see that being discussed in Denton.

Yes that definitely is 1-AA, big money and big money fans are not going to want to hop around from week to week, in the end it will be what big money fans want to do. And spoiled fat cats are not going to want deal with a crazy schedule when they don't have to already. Think how much planing goes in to just our games as far as work schedules and personal affairs calenders, could you imagine 4 weeks of not knowing? Now is that 4 possible games past a regular 12 game regular season, or does that mean an abbreviated season like 8 games. And the teams in a short season that don't make the playoffs is that it?

Do you remember the NC Fiesta bowl game between Miami and Ohio State several years back? I had inlaws who work for Frito Lay attend that game and Miami didn't have 5,000 fans there if that many.

If and when given the opportunity people will travel. If the 1-AA folks can pull this off, 1-A can too.

Rick

WVU is really starting to run away from the Oklahoma defense.

WVU - 34

OU - 15

The OU faithful has to be getting tired of this as this is the fourth year in a row they have layed a big egg in a BCS game. Stoops made some really bonehead decisions in this game. OU had all of the momentum after that 3rd QT TD....just kick the extra point. Waaaaaaaaay too early to go for 2. Then he kicks an onside kick????????????????

I'm not sure who the best team is. USC is great. Georgia is great. Whoever wins the LSU/tOSU game will be deserving. But holy hell, this WVU team has more team speed than anyone I've seen. Those guys are all track stars out there.

and they lost to Pitt. What the frack is going on with OU? If there was ANY defense I knew *cough*thought*cough* could match up with this speed, it's the Sooners.

This same OU team gave Mizz fits. I'm happy for WV and all, but stunned nonetheless...

and they lost to Pitt. What the frack is going on with OU? If there was ANY defense I knew *cough*thought*cough* could match up with this speed, it's the Sooners.

This same OU team gave Mizz fits. I'm happy for WV and all, but stunned nonetheless...

Everyone has bad losses this year. But damn...I'd like to see the Mountaneers go up against USC's D. That'd be fun.

I favor a playoff system, but if it happens it is going to be piecemeal. First we'll have a +1 game. Then after a few years, it will be expanded to a 4-team, then an 8-team tournament. Eventually it will include all the conference champs and some at large bids. The bowls will die and be replaced with 12 conference championship games, essentially making a 24-team playoff.

I favor a playoff system, but if it happens it is going to be piecemeal. First we'll have a +1 game. Then after a few years, it will be expanded to a 4-team, then an 8-team tournament. Eventually it will include all the conference champs and some at large bids. The bowls will die and be replaced with 12 conference championship games, essentially making a 24-team playoff.

Did this epic prediction come to you in a dream involving the flying spaghetti monster?

and I'll have another helping...

I picked KU in this one because I felt that they did have a great team, and although VT has a better reputation, KU got to hear how they didn't belong in this game for a month. The surprise was that KU's defense and special teams more than held their own against Va Tech. Maybe it is a fluke and OU, Texas, and Tech will kill them next year, but I don't know that for sure. I think KU has a chance to beat both Texas and Tech next year in Lawrence, but the OU game in Norman is still too high for them, I think. I do know this, if they had gotten texas or tech this year, I feel that they would have beaten them both. As far as building a program and getting the most from his players, Mangino has been doing that for a long time now up there. Its just that this year was finally a break-through for them. This whole scenario is my dream for us here at UNT with Dodge--and I believe it will happen here too!!