Well, Do We Want Fau Or Troy?

stebo

Personally, I don't think that FAU has enough fans to go bowling yet - maybe next year. If Troy loses the game to FAU, then the Owls will get the bid at 7-5. I would rather have a 9-3 Troy team playing Memphis in NO. We need our rep to beat the living daylights out of them.

Tigers Accept Bid to 2007 R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl

Tigers play in fourth bowl in five-year span.

Printer-Friendly Format

E-mail this article

Coach Tommy West and the Tigers will play in the 2007 New Orleans Bowl.

Football Home

HEADLINES

Tigers Accept Bid to 2007 R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl

Tigers Outlast Mustangs In 55-52 Triple-Overtime Thriller

Tigers Host SMU Mustangs in Regular Season Finale

RELATED LINKS

• Follow all of the college football action at CollegeSports.com

• Email this to a friend

Nov. 24, 2007

MEMPHIS, TENN. - The University of Memphis football team played the longest game in school history and following a triple overtime, 55-52, victory over the SMU Mustangs, the Tigers accepted a bid to participate in the 2007 R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl. The game will be played in the Superdome on December 21 and will pit the U of M against the champion of the Sun Belt Conference.

"What a great reward for this football team," said the Tigers' delighted head coach Tommy West. "For this team to come together the way it did this year and battle back from so many adversities; this bowl invitation is a tribute to what they have accomplished and overcome."

Memphis played the University of North Texas in the 2003 New Orleans Bowl, marking the Tigers' first bowl appearance in over 30 years. Led by the play of quarterback Danny Wimprine and tailback LaKendus Cole, the U of M defeated the Mean Green, 27-17.

"Our staff and team had a great time in 2003 when we attended the New Orleans Bowl and I can tell you that we look forward to returning again," West stated. "Our fans love to travel to New Orleans and I feel certain we will have a great following for this year's contest."

The Tigers battled back from a 2-4 mark in mid-October to win five of the team's last six games of the season. Memphis became bowl eligible with its win over UAB on November 17 and finished the season with a 7-5 mark after Saturday's 55-52 win.

Ticket information for this year's R+L New Orleans Bowl is expected to be available by Sunday afternoon and will be announced to the media, as well as being posted on the official athletic department website, www.GoTigersGo.com.

Edited by stebo

I'd much rather have Troy. We, as Sun Belt fans, need to take things slow. We can't expect to just suddenly jump into a level of play that BCS conferences are in. If Troy could manage to just hammer Memphis, we would really continue to gain some ground on Conference USA. Arkansas State losing to USM last night hurt, but we're currently as close to Conference USA as we've ever been, and a huge showing by Troy in NO could place us past them.

Troy or FAU could / will beat Memphis in NO. What sucks is , if Troy lost they could probably go to a better bowl. With all the bowl out there now , FAU could still get a invite somewhere. I really don't see the Owls beating the Trojans.

Have you seen how many bowl eligible teams there are this year??? A LOT. There are 10 in the SEC alone. And trust me, any bowl would take a 6-6 Bama over 8-4 Troy (if they do lose to FAU). I expect the Trojans will win, btw.

Just pointing out that I don't think there will be two SBC bowl teams this year.......there are too many other teams for the bowls to choose from.

That is kind of the way that I feel. I don't think that Troy would get an at large bid at 8-4, most of the bowls seem to be filled up this year. There may be a few openings, like the Texas Bowl, but those few openings wouldn't give the bid to Troy so it would leave them at home and that would suck after having such an incredible season. Also, Troy is clearly the better team. I don't care if they lose to FAU - I still feel that they would be the better team; it would just be a fluke night. Troy will bring a lot of fans to the bowl; especially now that it is on a Friday night. They will will beat the living crap out of Memphis and actually be FAVORED in the game (has the Belt rep ever been favored in its own bowl game?). FAU would bring maybe 2K fans - and that would be tops - and would probably be underdogs. I also think that they would lose the game. They just don't have enough experience yet. They also do not have a fan base to support a bowl game that far away yet.

Today's Sag Rankings has CUSA ranked less then a 1/3rd point ahead of the Belt (and both of us are behind two AA conferences)... a big win by Troy would move us past them for the final rankings. Now, if WW could figure out a way to get both of them into a bowl then I would be all for it. But I would still want Troy in the NO Bowl - it is our bread and butter and we need the NCAA minimum of 25K people in attedance to keep its certification in good standing. Sending FAU would really put a lot of pressure on the bowl to fudge numbers because Memphis fans are not that thrilled about their season. They may bring 15K or so but that would be on the high side. The Sun Belt CHAMPS need to be able to travel as many if not MORE fans to the bowl game and FAU is just not ready for that challenge. I don't think that they could even give away free tickets and get that many people to the game. They just don't have enough fans yet.

Have you seen how many bowl eligible teams there are this year??? A LOT. There are 10 in the SEC alone. And trust me, any bowl would take a 6-6 Bama over 8-4 Troy (if they do lose to FAU). I expect the Trojans will win, btw.

Just pointing out that I don't think there will be two SBC bowl teams this year.......there are too many other teams for the bowls to choose from.

No bowl can take a 6-6 team over a team with a winning record unless their conference had a tie in with the game before the season started. That being said, it looks like there will be some West Coast bowls that might need teams but they wouldn't take Troy. I think that the Texas Bowl might need a team - again, I don't think that they would take Troy. On the bright side - the Belt will end the season with 3 bowl eligible teams this year. Troy, ULM, and FAU are all bowl eligible. Even if FAU loses, they will be bowl eligible. I don't think that has ever happened in the Belt before - 3 teams with .500 or better records, has it?

No bowl can take a 6-6 team over a team with a winning record unless their conference had a tie in with the game before the season started. That being said, it looks like there will be some West Coast bowls that might need teams but they wouldn't take Troy. I think that the Texas Bowl might need a team - again, I don't think that they would take Troy. On the bright side - the Belt will end the season with 3 bowl eligible teams this year. Troy, ULM, and FAU are all bowl eligible. Even if FAU loses, they will be bowl eligible. I don't think that has ever happened in the Belt before - 3 teams with .500 or better records, has it?

Steve......I had just come in here to correct myself when I read your post. I remembered that last year, MTSU got their bid to the Motor City Bowl...that way. I think the Big Ten didn't have enough eligibles....and at that point, the bowl had to go out and get another team. And because of the rule you stated, MTSU (7-5) was picked over Kansas (6-6).

So maybe the Belt will get two teams in bowls, after all. But, the only way that it would happen is if FAU wins and goes to 7-5.

You are right John, there are going to be a lot of teams available this year though. Last year, the MUTS were basically the only choice because they were the only team at 7-5. Actually - there was one other team, but they were from the MAC and the bowl didn't want to play a MAC vs MAC bowl game obviously. So, basically - the MUTS were the only choice and a lot of 6-6 teams stayed home. This year there are about 6 bowls that will probably come up short but there are plenty of teams that will have 7 wins to fill them. If the game was close to Troy and needed an at large team then I think they would have a chace for an at large bid (even if they were to lose to FAU) - but they are all games on the West Coast that will come up short, plus the Texas Bowl and I think that Canadian Bowl game - nothing that the Troy fans could really want to travel to (thus just losing money for the sake of playing in a bowl)... If the situation were different and the Motor City or Liberty Bowl needed a need; I might root for FAU so that we could get two teams in but the NO Bowl is our only guaranteed bowl... and we need to protect it. That means making sure that the bowl keeps its certification. For the bowl to stay safe, it has to have 25K in attendance - and while Memphis will bring about 15K... FAU wouldn't be able to match that. But Troy would... and I think that either team can beat Memphis. So I am going to be cheering for Troy, for the sake of the Belt and for the livelihood of our conference's bowl game.

Hopefully Troy will play in the NO Bowl again. They should crush Memphis...which is exactly what the SBC needs. I just wish there was a better opponent than Memphis coming out of CUSA to play Troy. Oh well, I'm pulling for the Trojans the rest of the way.

Edited by Green Lantern

Hopefully Troy will play in the NO Bowl again. The should crush Memphis...which is exactly what the SBC needs. I just wish there was a better opponent than Memphis coming out of CUSA to play Troy. Oh well, I'm pulling for the Trojans the rest of the way.

I believe CUSA is contracted with the NO's Bowl officials (SBC) to annually send their 4'th place team. Memphis barely squeezed by a school that fired their coach about 2 weeks ago. I agree, Green Lantern, I wish the NO's Bowl officials could do better than a 4'th place CUSA team, but I guess "one baby step after one baby step" for any new conference of which the SBC is one of the most recent that fits that criteria.

Wonder if there are still other options for North Texas rather than a bowl game with an annual 4'th place opponent in the future? Doesn't sound like a bowl game that will ever have a ranked opponent if we're talking a 4'th place CUSA team every year, does it? NOTE: My head is still spinnning after watching all the speed from both teams during the WAC Championship Game the other night PLUS.............the crowd of over 50,000 watching that game between UHawaii/Boise State was something else I'd bet many Mean Greeners who watched this game had to be impressed with, too.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The NO Bowl is contracted to take an "agreed upon" team from CUSA. One year that was the co-champ. The other years it has ranged anywhere from the 2nd place team to the 4th place team. This year, Memphis is in a four way tie for 3rd. Geography has more to do with the selection then anything. CUSA wants to send their teams to bowls that their fans can travel to. Memphis is literally a train ride from NO. So is Southern Miss. Memphis was an easy selection, they are bowl eligible - and they brought a TON of fans the last time they went so they are easily mutually agreed upon. I know that you didn't go to the game with NT and Memphis; but I went to all four - and they by FAR brought the most fans. Their fans were class acts and that was one of my favorite trips to NO that I have ever had. I will never forget the T-I-G-E-R-S chant all up and down Bourbon street and in the Superdome; it was truly a fun environment and their fans really helped to make the game a more genuine bowl environment.

The NO Bowl is contracted to take an "agreed upon" team from CUSA. One year that was the co-champ. The other years it has ranged anywhere from the 2nd place team to the 4th place team. This year, Memphis is in a four way tie for 3rd. Geography has more to do with the selection then anything. CUSA wants to send their teams to bowls that their fans can travel to. Memphis is literally a train ride from NO. So is Southern Miss. Memphis was an easy selection, they are bowl eligible - and they brought a TON of fans the last time they went so they are easily mutually agreed upon. I know that you didn't go to the game with NT and Memphis; but I went to all four - and they by FAR brought the most fans. Their fans were class acts and that was one of my favorite trips to NO that I have ever had. I will never forget the T-I-G-E-R-S chant all up and down Bourbon street and in the Superdome; it was truly a fun environment and their fans really helped to make the game a more genuine bowl environment.

All of what you wrote it true. The NT-Memphis NO Bowl was far and away the best crowd that we had during our bowl run. I just wish that CUSA could provide Troy with a better opponent on the filed. I understand the contractual situation between CUSA and all their bowls...I just mean from a SBC perspective. I really believe that Troy has a strong team this year...certainly one that could compete with (and imo beat) UCF or Tulsa. Would be nice if they had the opportunity to show it...but I understand the reasoning for selecting Memphis for the game.