Ben Knox

Buford_Julep

I decided to watch Ben Knox in Wichita Falls instead of Arlington. It doesn't take as much time to get to Wichita Falls and there is about 75% less driving stress.

I didn't use a pencil and paper, but these stats should be reasonably accurate:

a. South Garland won the game 72-68 (OT)

Ben Knox stats:

a. 23 minutes played minutes

b. 14 points

c. 6-9 from the field

d. 2-3 from free throw line

e. 3 personal fouls

f. 1 turnover

g. 3 blocked shots

Observations:

a. He is not alarmingly skinny. He doesn't look like a refugee, but he looks like he could add some weight.

b. He is fairly quick for his size and has excellent straight ahead speed. He beat the defense down the court several times.

c. Ben picked up an away-from-the-ball foul that I did not see early in the game. He was immediately yanked out of the game and not put back in until only 2 minutes were left in the half, but he was called for 2 more fouls before the half ended. Ben played the entire second half and the overtime without committing any more fouls.

d. Did not seem to be a very physical player. Of course, he might have been worried about fouling out. The defense played behind Ben all night and were not very physical with him. In general, high school ball is not anywhere near as physical as the D-1 game.

e. 4 of Ben's 6 field goals were layups after post moves from in the paint. One of those was a left-handed scoop shot. His other 2 fg's were a jump shot from the foul line, and a dunk after beating the D down the court and taking a long pass. Ben can really sprint, and might have had some more dunks if his team mates had been more alert.

f. He missed 2 10-foot baseline jumpers and one jumper from the free throw line.

g.His team played a rotating, single-post, motion offense that often had Ben on the perimeter. He looked to be a competent ball-handler. His one turnover resulted from forgetting to catch the ball before passing to an open man. The ball went right through his hands.

h. He wasn't as aggressive going after rebounds as I would have liked. Again, the 3 quick early fouls may have been a factor.

i. Ben showed good shot blocking skills. South Garland had several players that appeared to be about 6-5 or 6-6. After 3 blocks and 3 forced altered shots South Garland did not challenge Ben in the fourth quarter. Ben was denied credit for one block when the frustrated SG player, knowing that his shot was going to be blocked, threw the ball out of bounds instead. One blocked shot went straight up into the air. Ben then tipped the ball to a team mate. It was, in effect, a good outlet pass.

You mentioned he played on the perimeter frequently and knocked down a couple of open jumpers...do you see him (especially if he doesn't put on significantly more weight) as more of a face-up, European style 3-4 combo rather than a traditional post. I guess what I'm asking is is he compitant enough on the perimeter to be effective there in D-1 basketball? If so I think I like this signing a lot more as he would create match-up problems for other Belt teams.

Also, and I am saying this without having seen Knox play so please don't take it as a knock on him, but we were all praising Howerton's ability to get up and down the floor when he was in high school as well.

Thanks for the info Buford!

I know it was only one game Buford but when do you project him helping us and where; if at all? (i.e. next year, 2nd year, etc.) Do you see him as a role player or potential starter in time? You stated that he was "yanked" out of the game after an early foul. Was the coach dissapointed in him or just quickly took him out of the game because of foul concerns.

I hope to catch him against Bishop Dunne. Thanks for the update! Do we owe you anything for gas?

I guess what I'm asking is is he compitant enough on the perimeter to be effective there in D-1 basketball?
The NT coaches must think he can handle the high post or they would not have offered him a scholarship. Both the 4 and the 5 have to be good ball-handlers in NT's offense. Really, the 4 and 5 positions are the same. They are mirror images of one another depending on which side of the court the ball is. It is a big plus if they also are good shooters from at least 15 feet.

but we were all praising Howerton's ability to get up and down the floor when he was in high school as well.

Howerton still runs well.

do you project him helping us and where; if at all? (i.e. next year, 2nd year, etc.) Do you see him as a role player or potential starter in time?
Sorry, but I have to cop out. He seems to have good skills and an adequate body. The question in my mind is how he will handle the more physical play in D-1.

Was the coach dissapointed in him or just quickly took him out of the game because of foul concerns.

I wish I knew. I can't remember ever seeing a player taken out of the game after one foul in the first two minutes. Ben seemed calm and unconcerned while he was on the bench after being taken out.