Mean Green Kids Club

chrisfisher

I meant to post this after the UL-Monroe game, but forgot. My daughter is part of the Mean Green Kids Club. I go down on the field with her to form the line at the inflatable Helmet to cheer on the Mean Green onto field at the start of the 3Q.

I'll be damn, but several kids that went onto the field were wearing UT gear (hats). I was appalled to say the least. I think this absolutely unacceptable and that the kids should remove the gear or not be allowed to enter the field. Am I making too big a deal of this? Or should this kind of stuff be banned? I vote for the latter.

I meant to post this after the UL-Monroe game, but forgot. My daughter is part of the Mean Green Kids Club. I go down on the field with her to form the line at the inflatable Helmet to cheer on the Mean Green onto field at the start of the 3Q.

I'll be damn, but several kids that went onto the field were wearing UT gear (hats). I was appalled to say the least. I think this absolutely unacceptable and that the kids should remove the gear or not be allowed to enter the field. Am I making too big a deal of this? Or should this kind of stuff be banned? I vote for the latter.

The kids will have fun remembering their time on the NT field, and will one day request an NT hat.

Or maybe UT is just needing the extra pub'? :rolleyes:

Any non-Texan visiting our state not so familiar with all our universities would go into many stores across our state and go back home swearing we only had 2 universities in the Lone Star State (if you go by college gear sold en mass in most stores). Not sure that will change in my life time anymore, like I'm afraid so many other things won't.

But this is the MEAN GREEN CLUB. How do our football players feel getting welcomed onto the field by kids with UT gear on???

Well, I guess it's a matter of who this is for. If it is solely for the players, yes, limit it to children wearing UNT gear. But if it is for the kids, which I suspect is the case, turning them away because of what their ignorant parents made them wear will not give them fond memories of UNT games. Give the parents a flogging, but let the kids enjoy their opportunity.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Those kids are SPIES! I suspected this was happening; now this confirms that UT is BRAINWASHING kids and turning them against us. This is how UT ensures its continued dominance over us; by co-opting the next generation early.

The kids that go down on the field are:

A) Required to be dues paying members of the Junior Mean Green Club

B) Required to be accompanied by their parent

C) Required to be wearing either their Junior Mean Green Club shirt or be wearing UNT spirit gear and have a club stamp on their hand.

Unfortunately the regulations are abused by derilict 12 year olds that can easily gain access to this club function.

Last year I told some little orange clad pugsley that it was innapropriate to be waving his 'hook 'em horns' hand signal at our players as they emerged after halftime. His defense, "well, I don't like North Texas". What the heck are these twits doing on the field? Those little kids that they are edging out of the way have parents that actually pay for the privilege of their children interacting with the team.

The same can be said for the bounce houses at the football and basketball games.

It's simply poor management, but in everyone's defense, this is an issue that must be incredibly far down on the priority list of things that need to be fixed.

Well, I guess it's a matter of who this is for. If it is solely for the players, yes, limit it to children wearing UNT gear. But if it is for the kids, which I suspect is the case, turning them away because of what their ignorant parents made them wear will not give them fond memories of UNT games. Give the parents a flogging, but let the kids enjoy their opportunity.

The kids and parents should line up prior to going on the field to verify they are Jr. MG Club members. Those that aren't should be turned away. Those with other team's caps on should be asked to remove them to be picked up after they come off the field, or provided with a NT hat/cap to wear.

is this thread for real?

Eagle1855. Do you really think UT would let anyone onto their home field wearing UNT gear? I don't get easily insulted or embarrassed, but I felt both watching those kids with UT gear go onto our home field. Moreover, many of our games are broadcasted on television and internet. How does that look when some members of the supposed "Mean Green Club" are outfitted in UT gear. I guess in the in end, it a matter of pride more than anything else.

Edited by chrisfisher

Eagle1855. Do you really think UT would let anyone onto their home field wearing UNT gear? I don't get easily insulted or embarrassed, but I felt both watching those kids with UT gear go onto our home field. Moreover, many of our games are broadcasted on television and internet. How does that look when some members of the supposed "Mean Green Club" are outfitted in UT gear. I guess in the in end, it a matter of pride more than anything else.

i think it speaks to the lameness of our alumni and fanbase more than it is an indictment on the ath dept... i mean, who lets their kid go to a UNT event dressed like that?

what are you going to do about it if you're the athltic department? You really cant turn them away. All you can do is ask they be outfitted in green next time, give out some free t-shirts and caps for the kids if they'll trade ya. That or you could tie the kids to a post and go South Asia on them with a bamboo stick, but that'll prob cost you from a PR point of view.

Edited by Eagle1855

i think it speaks to the lameness of our alumni and fanbase more than it is an indictment on the ath dept... i mean, who lets their kid go to a UNT event dressed like that?

what are you going to do about it if you're the athltic department? You really cant turn them away. All you can do is ask they be outfitted in green next time, give out some free t-shirts and caps for the kids if they'll trade ya. That or you could tie the kids to a post and go South Asia on them with a bamboo stick, but that'll prob cost you from a PR point of view.

I wasn't trying to indite the athletic department, only express my dislike of this. I know we that we should be nice to the kids and that parents might be a perturbed if there kids couldn't go onto the field... but is it really that big a deal to ask them to remove the UT hat?

I'll paraphrase Rick V. again here.

When he got to North Texas, he said (and this is almost an exact quote, but I can't find the article so I might be a couple of words off):

Texas, A&M, and Baylor aren't going to give you a degree because you wore their t-shirt in college. North Texas is where you are now, and who you are now. We don't want to see those shirts on our campus. I don't want to see you wearing them.

He then went off about how people who wanted to go to other schools got turned down and we accepted them.

Then the Talons ran a "t-shirt trade" (thanks to Emmitt and company) where you could trade in a shirt from another school for one from North Texas. Even my psycho ex, who was an SGA exec, finally gave up her A&M shirt.

Same deal here...

You want to wear Texas gear? Pay a few hundred more to travel and buy tickets and food and crap down there.

Don't wear that crap here unless you're in the Visiting Team Section.

I love UNT, as anyone who knows me will tell you. However, if the child has on the proper shirt, and the parents have paid for the right for them to be in the JMGC, then relax and let the kids enjoy themselves. We are NOT a major football school at this point, and turning away CHILDREN because they are wearing the WRONG hat is insane. Parents - sure - but try telling a 5 year old she can't wear her hat because it offends you, and see how far that gets you. Find something else to waste your worrying on.

B) Required to be accompanied by their parent

C) Required to be wearing either their Junior Mean Green Club shirt or be wearing UNT spirit gear and have a club stamp on their hand.

Unfortunately the regulations are abused by derilict 12 year olds that can easily gain access to this club function.

Last year I told some little orange clad pugsley that it was innapropriate to be waving his 'hook 'em horns' hand signal at our players as they emerged after halftime. His defense, "well, I don't like North Texas". What the heck are these twits doing on the field? Those little kids that they are edging out of the way have parents that actually pay for the privilege of their children interacting with the team.

The same can be said for the bounce houses at the football and basketball games.

It's simply poor management, but in everyone's defense, this is an issue that must be incredibly far down on the priority list of things that need to be fixed.

Dear Lord, Please grant these posters the strength to read, reread, and keep reading this post over and over until they are able to comprehend it.

The actual JMGC members are almost always dressed in their club shirts, replica NT jerseys, or cheerleader uniforms.

It is not the children that are supposed to be on the field that are the issue, it's the ones that are not supposed to be there.

Membership for the 2006-07 season is $20 per child. I pay for two kids to have this privilege. I would be happy to discuss the insignificance of this issue with any of you if you'd be willing to send me $40 first to participate in the discussion.

Amen

Edited by ADLER

no its just stupid.

Unless you are going to offer them another hat, you look like an a-hole messing with a freaking child!

get real people.

You couldn't be more right. When will people realize that we are just UNT, not a real school. Come on people. How dare we expect the same level of respect that is taken as a given at major universities? Just because anyone, regardless of their age, would be asked not to desecrate the home field of LSU, UT, aTm, Florida (the list goes on forever...and the party never ends) doesn't mean that we can ask for the same. If we lived in reality we'd realize that asking these kids' douche bag parents to take that crap off of their kid on OUR field is impossible...or is it?

P.S. Find me a field pass and I'll volunteer to have a heart to heart with the parents.

You couldn't be more right. When will people realize that we are just UNT, not a real school. Come on people. How dare we expect the same level of respect that is taken as a given at major universities? Just because anyone, regardless of their age, would be asked not to desecrate the home field of LSU, UT, aTm, Florida (the list goes on forever...and the party never ends) doesn't mean that we can ask for the same. If we lived in reality we'd realize that asking these kids' douche bag parents to take that crap off of their kid on OUR field is impossible...or is it?

P.S. Find me a field pass and I'll volunteer to have a heart to heart with the parents.

Is it hard to type up there on your high horse?

I already offered ways to deal with this. I already agreed it is lame. I just think you need to keep it positive when dealing with these kinds of issues. This cavalier "have a heart to heart" bullshit wont win any fans, and in the long run hurts us more than it helps... no matter how awesome it makes you feel for getting the chance to really "take it to" someone in a UT hat.

Is it hard to type up there on your high horse?

I already offered ways to deal with this. I already agreed it is lame. I just think you need to keep it positive when dealing with these kinds of issues. This cavalier "have a heart to heart" bullshit wont win any fans, and in the long run hurts us more than it helps... no matter how awesome it makes you feel for getting the chance to really "take it to" someone in a UT hat.

While I don't advocate traumatizing a child by refusing him/her access to the event because of the gear they are wearing, I also believe that if we don't take ourselves seriously, then no one else will. Since no child is supposed to be out there without their parent/guardian, then the aforementioned parent/guardian should be advised that their child cannot participate without North Texas gear on. A supply of "exchange gear" should be available when this conversation takes place.

I love UNT, as anyone who knows me will tell you. However, if the child has on the proper shirt, and the parents have paid for the right for them to be in the JMGC, then relax and let the kids enjoy themselves. We are NOT a major football school at this point, and turning away CHILDREN because they are wearing the WRONG hat is insane. Parents - sure - but try telling a 5 year old she can't wear her hat because it offends you, and see how far that gets you. Find something else to waste your worrying on.

The kids I saw wearing the UT gear, had no visible UNT gear of any kind, including the Mean Green Kids club shirt.

B)Required to be accompanied by their parent

"My parents don't care where I am" is not a valid reason for other kids to be on the field.

Wow, issue solved.