Td Pay Attention:

greenjacket

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the defense sucks right now. No argument out of me. What confuses me is why everyone here is placing so much praise on the offense when they continue to turn the ball over so much. Listen you can rack up all the yards you want but when you turn the ball over 3 or more times a game you are not going to win many ball games. Five games played to date: Meager 8 int, Vizza 6 int. I love wathing this offense as much as the next guy but in the end you have to remember football is a field position game. If we do not start taking better care of the football we will surely go 0-12.

Still, after saying that, I really look forward to watching this team after TD has a few years under his belt. New regimes in college football should always be given 4-5 years to prove themselves. With regards to that I am still confident that Dodge will have us on track with-in that time frame.

Well first off you guys are going for the throat too fast, a brand new staff with a brand new philosophy from the ground up is being implemented. And I don't just mean on the field, I mean with new discipline rules, new energy, new everything. SO on defense you are teaching your brand of Defense, do you throw it out with the bathwater before it is even finished being taught. Well damn guys that didn't work lets pick the flavor of the week defense. No I think the first year you stick with your game plan then once you are settled in and all personal and players are comfortable then you can make big adjustments if needed. But at game 5 the first half of the first season of an entirely brand new staff, come on you all.

I think there will be a gel-factor that happens, I saw some good defense in the first half against Lafayette, hell they kept us in the game while Vizza was getting his feet underneath him.

I would understand that and go with it if it were NT having to play 8 or 9 freshmen on D like in '05. But this is a defense that's played the 3-4 effictively. Not greatly, but enough to be better than over half the defenses out there last year, and our DC has had 7 months to watch who fits where in the 4-3 to realize it's not working with this group.

All I ask is show me that your able to make the adjustments like you tried to make in the first two series that seemed to work, and stay with it. I haven't gone back to watch the tape to see if we did in fact change back to the 4-3 or not? If we did attempt to make the adjustments, stuck with them and they didn't work then I'll take back everything I've said.

Rick

I would understand that and go with it if it were NT having to play 8 or 9 freshmen on D like in '05. But this is a defense that's played the 3-4 effictively. Not greatly, but enough to be better than over half the defenses out there last year, and our DC has had 7 months to watch who fits where in the 4-3 to realize it's not working with this group.

All I ask is show me that your able to make the adjustments like you tried to make in the first two series that seemed to work, and stay with it. I haven't gone back to watch the tape to see if we did in fact change back to the 4-3 or not? If we did attempt to make the adjustments, stuck with them and they didn't work then I'll take back everything I've said.

Rick

Rick I don't disagree with you I just disagree with the timing.

I think you need to take that Ranking from last year's Defense (which I can not find published) and realize that if it is the one from the NCAA we are talking about its a statistically based number for the whole season based on total average yards given up per game. What else effects that? The competition, the schedule, weather, the offense and so on. Put since I can't find that list I can not even compare those stats against other teams or ourselves for that matter. But what all of us know is stats don't tell the whole picture. Take for example Patrick Cobbs, statistically #1 in 2003 in average yards per game, but was he the best running back in d1a that year?

Yes the defense sucks right now. No argument out of me. What confuses me is why everyone here is placing so much praise on the offense when they continue to turn the ball over so much. Listen you can rack up all the yards you want but when you turn the ball over 3 or more times a game you are not going to win many ball games. Five games played to date: Meager 8 int, Vizza 6 int. I love wathing this offense as much as the next guy but in the end you have to remember football is a field position game. If we do not start taking better care of the football we will surely go 0-12.

Yeah, I've been barking up that tree this season, to no avail. I understand not being angry about the offense, but I wouldn't be overly thrilled with one of the lowest scoring offenses in the NCAA, which also turns the ball over at a ridiculous rate. A bunch of yards between the 20s might look sexy on the stat sheets, but that's about it.

Rick

Watch out there, Rick... you're going to be called an irresponsible newbie soon!

GREAT POST, MY FRIEND!

Rick I don't disagree with you I just disagree with the timing.

I think you need to take that Ranking from last year's Defense (which I can not find published) and realize that if it is the one from the NCAA we are talking about its a statistically based number for the whole season based on total average yards given up per game. What else effects that? The competition, the schedule, weather, the offense and so on. Put since I can't find that list I can not even compare those stats against other teams or ourselves for that matter. But what all of us know is stats don't tell the whole picture. Take for example Patrick Cobbs, statistically #1 in 2003 in average yards per game, but was he the best running back in d1a that year?

Here you go.

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankin...p;sportCode=MFB

UNTLifer

1. It is a rebuilding year on both sides of the ball.

2. No changes will be made with a coaching staff mid-season.

Know that I'm not asking for any kind of a coaching change. I simply asking for the coach to change.

Rick

Here you go.

UNTLifer

Know that I'm not asking for any kind of a coaching change. I simply asking for the coach to change.

Rick

I like that...not asking for TD to get rid of Mendoza, just asking for adjustments and putting these hard working group of young men in a position to be competitive. I believe our seniors deserve more than what they are getting. It is not their fault there was a coaching change.

I like that...not asking for TD to get rid of Mendoza, just asking for adjustments and putting these hard working group of young men in a position to be competitive. I believe our seniors deserve more than what they are getting. It is not their fault there was a coaching change.

and word is, they are getting very frustrated.

On another note, watch Mendoza on the sidelines this week when things don't go well and tell me if that is the way you want your coordinator to act on the sidelines.

Here you go.

UNTLifer

Rick

Here is a little fun fact : food for thought.

Last year our average competition total team offense was ranked 74.92

This year our average competition total team offense was ranked 39.4

Here is a table: Research

Edited by KingDL1