2008 Recruiting Class

Dodge2007

Any kid is gonna look at multiple offers and decide what is best for them. All I am saying is that when you make an early offer and they snag it, you can't pull it back. Early offers are for the kids, imo, that multiple schools want. Lets face it, kids that consider UNT are strongly looking at the Big 12 first, C-USA second, and then other mid america conferences. There are some exceptions, that is for sure.

Chase Daniel went to Mizzou and turned down a late offer from Texas out of loyalty to the first school, even though it was his dream to go their with his big sis.

Offering early seemed to help them out okay.

There is nothing to lose in this approach until we are picking and choosing between 4 and 5 stars, which based on my X Box timeline, will take about two years. We also need to sign Hot Karl Jackson from Sanger.

From the Denton Record Chronicle:

"Rucker said Baylor, Missouri and Texas A&M also offered him a scholarship, while several other programs had shown interest. "

It must be fact then. I don't see on Rivals, Scout, Espn, or anyother service, but it must be fact if an 17 year old said it. Kids never like to emblish things like that.

Dodge 2007,

If you don't like the kids that we are recruiting, then name some kids that we should be targeting. Who is TD just completely overlooking in the recruiting process so far this year? Don't give generic answers like "Wait till the end of the season and see". We had 9 years of that under Dickey. Give specific names of players we should target.

For the record, I'm very excited about the kids that have already verballed, and am excited about the others that are being targeted.

It must be fact then. I don't see on Rivals, Scout, Espn, or anyother service, but it must be fact if an 17 year old said it. Kids never like to emblish things like that.

Where do you think Rivals, Scout, etc. get their information? There is a ton of misrepresentations in the recruiting process. Most players are shorter, slower and have less interest from recruiters than they represent. That being said, if TD's early signees are a good indication of the final class than NT has greatly improved recruiting. TD's first real recruiting class will be easily the best since Fry.

It just seems to me that you don't have to be in such a hurry to offer kids a scholarship when no one else is offering. So many kids blossom late in their Senior years and you get to see so many more kids in the playoffs against top notch competition.

If you believe in these players and trust your ability to judge talent, you don't want to be late to the party (so to speak). One way you can take a kid away from one of the "big" boys is to get on them early and stay true, loyal and diligent. If you wait to offer after the big boys, it is too late. Offering early gives you a chance, waiting is the last thing you can do thinking you're going to steal someone away from the better known schools.

Where do you think Rivals, Scout, etc. get their information? There is a ton of misrepresentations in the recruiting process. Most players are shorter, slower and have less interest from recruiters than they represent. That being said, if TD's early signees are a good indication of the final class than NT has greatly improved recruiting. TD's first real recruiting class will be easily the best since Fry.

office_space_kit_mat.jpg

ngbbs3c48f1755fcfb.jpg

You know, it would be cool to say that 4 years from now, after these kids sign a half a year from now to come here, and put in the work to make that happen.

Edited by MeanMag

Plus some "big time" schools will not admit they offered if the recruit picks another school. Big schools don't want to look bad so they say they didn't offer when indeed they did.

office_space_kit_mat.jpg

ngbbs3c48f1755fcfb.jpg

You know, it would be cool to say that 4 years from now, after these kids sign a half a year from now to come here, and put in the work to make that happen.

If you go back and watch this scene you'll notice his prototype actually says "Loose One Turn"

I feel I threw a perfect bounce pass to a cutting Quoner...will he finish my assist?

Dodge2007, I see your point and agree with it to an extent. I like what TD has done filling about half the class with early commits. I think it is actually advantageous to NT. The early offer allows you to get a offer in before some bigger schools come along. Some of these recruits probably wouldn't be available to us if we were to offer say in November. With TD having 11 early commits that leaves about 14 more for later. This allows time for other prospects to surface. Kids that may have been injured last year, on JV, or whatever the case. I would not want to go the way of UT and having your class filled by season start. Just as long as we never go back days of Dickey and his recruiting method. It seemed as though he just took what was leftover from the big boys. And towards the end he was losing out to MTSU, LaLa, and others on Texas players! I remember losing out on Tanner to MTSU. That was a huge loss for us. Yes, we ended up with some great players, but it seems that we also ended up with to many busts. And yes I know that your going to have a number of busts in any recruiting class. But part of the reason we are lacking depth on the lines is that very reason. I very much think that NT can end up with a top 60 class this year.

Edited by H-towngreen

Picked up a free magazine at Krogers yesterday called "On The Ball", it's a metroplex sports magazine. In their high school preview, they have Wylie RB Chris Givens (6'0", 200 lbs, 4.41) as considering NT. He has also received offers from Wake Forest, Wisconsin, UNLV, and Utah. Don't know where they get their information but it's a neat little magazine especially since it's free.

Picked up a free magazine at Krogers yesterday called "On The Ball", it's a metroplex sports magazine. In their high school preview, they have Wylie RB Chris Givens (6'0", 200 lbs, 4.41) as considering NT. He has also received offers from Wake Forest, Wisconsin, UNLV, and Utah. Don't know where they get their information but it's a neat little magazine especially since it's free.

Givens is rated a 3 * RB by Scout.com...had an injury last year and only played in one game...but has come back this year and is impressing everyone with his play.

Givens is rated a 3 * RB by Scout.com...had an injury last year and only played in one game...but has come back this year and is impressing everyone with his play.

Yeah, he averaged 5.3 yards per carry in the one game he played last year. This magazine has Riley Dodge, Rex Burkhead of Plano, and D'Anton Lynn of Celina on the cover. Available at Kroger, Tom Thumb, 7-11, and Albertson's.