Fau Is In A Serious Attendance Slump

NT80

Guest GrayEagleOne

I keep hearing that attendance doesn't make any difference; that no one will be domoted because of it. But, Florida Atlantic is the only school that has never averaged 15,000. How long can they get away with that?

I think that this is the first year of the new plan where you have to fail two years in a row in order to be considered for expulsion. FAU averaged 9,182 and their best attended game last year drew 12,340. That's abysmal for a 1-A program.

They have put a pretty decent team on the field for a startup program. They have plenty of money. They are going to have to hire a hire marketers to sell tickets at a tremendous discount until they can get a fan base of 15,000 established.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

The standard is tickets sold, FAU goes into the season with the ticket issue resolved via corporate sponsorship and donor buys. They just announce turnstile rather than sold counts because they know the media will give them heck if they announce 20,000 tickets sold (USF got slammed at least once a year for several years for that practice).

Upon further review.....try and find the 10,000 fans in this video clip.....

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/lox...sotaweek043.flv

I guess I can buy the cheapest seats and sit anywhere against FAU (next year) and FIU this year. That is a crying out shame playing a BIG 10 team and having that crowd. Very demoralizing for both Minnesota and FAU.

That's pretty pathetic. However, I'm sure the people in Boca Raton have better things to do on a Saturday afternoon that watch football.

Imagine what must have been going through the Minnesota's players and coaches minds. They play at Michigan, Ohio State, etc. packed full of tens of thousands of people. Then, they hit the field at FAU with what probably amounts to a Big Ten spring scrimmage game crowd. Freaking amazing.

The Minnesota AD has to be kicking himself for agreeing to go down there and play that game.

That's pretty pathetic. However, I'm sure the people in Boca Raton have better things to do on a Saturday afternoon that watch football.

Imagine what must have been going through the Minnesota's players and coaches minds. They play at Michigan, Ohio State, etc. packed full of tens of thousands of people. Then, they hit the field at FAU with what probably amounts to a Big Ten spring scrimmage game crowd. Freaking amazing.

The Minnesota AD has to be kicking himself for agreeing to go down there and play that game.

I'm sure the AD was banking on some Florida exposure for their program. Something tells me this isn't the exposure he was after.

I'm sure the AD was banking on some Florida exposure for their program. Something tells me this isn't the exposure he was after.

You know, there may be alot more to that than we all think.

I was talking to a buddy of mine over the weekend about how slow the Big Ten teams seem these days. He conjectured that it may go that way long term since the Rust Belt states' economies were bad and more people were leaving those states as opposed to moving there. I hadn't thought of it in that light, but he may be right.

With fewer and fewer blue collar, factory-type jobs up there the towns that used to be filled with folks - and their football playing kids - will continue to dwindle. And, what little talent left behind might not even go there. One of Oklahoma's starting offensive linemen was from Detroit.

Remember how outmatched Ohio State looked against Florida last year? Maybe its all due to shift in geography due to economics. We'll see. If so, it'll be a football good for our schools down South here.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

FAU's attendance has always been an issue, but you have to keep in mind that they play either in Dolphin Stadium like we did on Saturday, which is 2 counties away and 40 miles from campus, or Lockhart(the aformentioned high school field), which is 20 miles away from campus in Broward county. Try playing Mean Green games at least 20 miles from Denton and see how many people(especially students) turn out. This isn't an excuse, our attendance has to get better, but the distance is a problem. Tomorrow FAU's Board is voting on the approval of a stadium in Boca that will open in 2010. When that place opens, our attendance will at least be in line with the rest of the Belt.

FAU's attendance has always been an issue, but you have to keep in mind that they play either in Dolphin Stadium like we did on Saturday, which is 2 counties away and 40 miles from campus, or Lockhart(the aformentioned high school field), which is 20 miles away from campus in Broward county. Try playing Mean Green games at least 20 miles from Denton and see how many people(especially students) turn out. This isn't an excuse, our attendance has to get better, but the distance is a problem. Tomorrow FAU's Board is voting on the approval of a stadium in Boca that will open in 2010. When that place opens, our attendance will at least be in line with the rest of the Belt.

Good points.

And, by the way, there is something to the geographic shift in the economy. UCF almost beat Texas, USF is doing well again. FIU hung tooth and nail with Miami. There's a ton of talent in Florida, just like with Texas and Cali. I'd bet by the time you guys get an on campus stadium, Schnellenberger is going to regularly beating BCS schools. There's too much talent in that area for it to be any other way.

Good points.

And, by the way, there is something to the geographic shift in the economy. UCF almost beat Texas, USF is doing well again. FIU hung tooth and nail with Miami. There's a ton of talent in Florida, just like with Texas and Cali. I'd bet by the time you guys get an on campus stadium, Schnellenberger is going to regularly beating BCS schools. There's too much talent in that area for it to be any other way.

Keeping kids in the area is the plan. In the past, the players a notch below the caliber of athletes recruited by the big 3 of UM, UF, and FSU would have to leave the state to play college ball. Now a lot of those players now going to UCF, USF, FAU, and FIU. It is no coincidence that you are seeing the growth in these teams. It is also the reason that UCF, FAU, and FIU have built or are building new stadiums on campus. They all need these facilities to compete for recruits.