Nt Exes Name New Executive Director

bdan2002

Derrick Morgan has been named executive director of the UNT alumni association, North Texas Exes, says Phil Glauben, president of the association’s board of directors.

Morgan, currently executive director of the San Jose State University Alumni Association, will join UNT in late August. Morgan also has been marketing director and membership director of the alumni association at Texas Tech University. He received a bachelor’s degree in marketing from Texas Tech.

Morgan was responsible for operations, personnel and financial aspects of the San Jose State organization, a 501©(3) non-profit in San Jose, Calif. San Jose State is a 150-year-old public university located in Silicon Valley.

“SJSU is amazingly similar in demographics to UNT, with 200,000 known alumni, 30,000 enrollment, with an alumni association staff of five,” says Glauben. Morgan has "provided financial stability and growth to the association, and most importantly, he has a positive, can-do attitude," Glauben says. "We're looking forward to having him here."

Show extended entry >>

During Morgan's tenure, membership at San Jose State's association has grown to 11,000; UNT's goal is to grow to 12,500 association members by 2012.

North Texas Exes is a 501©(3) non-profit organization governed by a volunteer board of directors. The association has about 6,000 members and awards about 45 scholarships each year. The association is open to all former students, graduates and friends of UNT.

The North Texas Exes board approved a five-year strategic plan for 2006-2011 (PDF). The plan's goals include building membership, positioning the association as a preferred organization, increasing financial support and promoting UNT.

The search committee chair was association president-elect Steve Brodbeck. Other search committee members included association board members Sandi Stevens, Sylvia Hartmanand Mike Friedman; Ann Abbe, associate vice president for the Office of Development; Peggy Green, director of marketing and communications for the College of Business Administration, and alumnus and political consultant Tom Hockaday.

You mean to tell me that there wasn't an alum from the DFW area or at least Texas who was not qualified for this gig? Not saying the guy isn't qualified but this would seem to be a position that an alum/graduate would be better suited to fill?

You mean to tell me that there wasn't an alum from the DFW area or at least Texas who was not qualified for this gig? Not saying the guy isn't qualified but this would seem to be a position that an alum/graduate would be better suited to fill?

not to be argumentative, but Rick V or Dr Bataille didn't come from UNT either. Granted, this is a much smaller scale, business is business. If this guy knows what he's doing (and it sounds like he does), this is a good hire.

Edited by Eagle1855

Harry, this doesn't surprise me. We can't even get you the Knights Spirit award for all the countless years of volunteering yourself to the cause. You have been more responsible for bringing more people onto that campus than any one individual I can think of. And even though in the past many of our greatest, donating, active alumni have even gone out of their way in an attempt at this by printing up copies handing out the nomination forms asking others to write you in, yet it's always someone else I've never seen or heard of before that gets awarded.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Harry, this doesn't surprise me. We can't even get you the Knights Spirit award for all the countless years of volunteering yourself to the cause. You have been more responsible for bringing more people onto that campus than any one individual I can think of. And even though in the past many of our greatest, donating, active alumni have even gone out of their way in an attempt at this by printing up copies handing out the nomination forms asking others to write you in, yet it's always someone else I've never seen or heard of before that gets awarded.

Rick

Of course, when I posted my original comment, I didn't realize one of our own was really interested in the position...

guess I misunderstood your post. Reading Comprehension and I arent getting along today. neeevvveeerrrrmiind... nothing to see here... :shuriken:

Well, on second thought with what I posted, wasn't Layton an NT alumnus? So maybe I should have posted that originally and said that it may be better to go with someone from the outside? Time will tell.

On a P.S. note. Harry and I both were nominated a few years back for the board and we were both given interviews, seperately of course, to which neither of us were chosen. But I'll never forget, the first question asked of me(and I believe Harry too) was "So how much money have you donated to the university since you graduated?".

My answer: More than my wife knows about!

Rick

We don't hire alums because that would screw up the sense of disconnection and fragmentation throughout the campus.

Duh.

BUT - didn't a bunch of you mock how much this job paid when it was first posted? Or am I crazy?

If we're all too good for the going rate, why complain when someone well-qualified takes the pay?

BUT - didn't a bunch of you mock how much this job paid when it was first posted? Or am I crazy?

If we're all too good for the going rate, why complain when someone well-qualified takes the pay?

That was the Membership/Marketing position. I'm not sure we've seen what the Director position pays.

As for the job going to a non-alum, I think that actually is a good thing. We need someone to see things for what they are and not let their own North Texas feelings cloud their judgement.

On another note, I think it is completly pathetic that our alumni association has only 6,000 members. WHAT>?!?!?!?! Every single person on this board should go and join RIGHT NOW if they are not already a member.

Morgan also has been marketing director and membership director of the alumni association at Texas Tech University.

I wonder when that was? Texas Tech's alumni association is pretty screwed up IMO. They have about 10 different chapters here in the DFW metroplex and it seems they never correspond or communicate with each other....not that that would have been part of Morgan's responsibilities. Maybe we can get him to bring some of that TTech arrogance and obnoxiousness that Tech fans seem to possess so much of?? :blink::huh::unsure: (note; that was sarcasm)

That was the Membership/Marketing position. I'm not sure we've seen what the Director position pays.

As for the job going to a non-alum, I think that actually is a good thing. We need someone to see things for what they are and not let their own North Texas feelings cloud their judgement.

On another note, I think it is completly pathetic that our alumni association has only 6,000 members. WHAT>?!?!?!?! Every single person on this board should go and join RIGHT NOW if they are not already a member.

Thank you for clearing that up.

I see both sides to the coin, but I feel like it doesn't apply as much here because so few of our staff anywhere have UNT connections across the board. Some do a great job, some don't. Crap, am I turning into PMG by griping about this?

If it's being run by non-UNT graduates, then wouldn't "North Texas Alumni Association" be a misnomer?

Well, on second thought with what I posted, wasn't Layton an NT alumnus? So maybe I should have posted that originally and said that it may be better to go with someone from the outside? Time will tell.

On a P.S. note. Harry and I both were nominated a few years back for the board and we were both given interviews, seperately of course, to which neither of us were chosen. But I'll never forget, the first question asked of me(and I believe Harry too) was "So how much money have you donated to the university since you graduated?".

My answer: More than my wife knows about!

Rick

Does anyone know why David left his position? Where did he go?

David Layton has joined Presbyterian Hospital of Denton as the marketing manager. In his new role, Layton will coordinate marketing, advertising, media, public relations and community education activities as well as assist with internal and external communications, and activities to enhance the hospital visibility in Denton and surrounding communities, according to a news release.

Layton has a bachelor’s degree in journalism in broadcast news from the University of North Texas and a certificate of achievement in the leadership development program from the Niagara Institute. Before joining Presbyterian Hospital of Denton, Layton served as executive director of the North Texas Exes alumni association. He also previously served as vice president of Wells Fargo.

Layton, a graduate and former co-chairman of Leadership Denton, serves on committees for the Denton school district Adopt-A-School program, Denton Holiday Festival Association and First United Methodist Church in Denton. He has served on numerous local committees and was previously named a Denton Community Rising Star. He also was nominated for the State of Texas Governor’s Volunteer Award by Gov. Rick Perry.

Once again, all of this concern over finding a great salesman who can sell more people on the product?

Shouldn't we be looking at why people don't want to buy the product?

Fix that, and the product will sell itself. Alumni will be anxious to join if they feel that they are actually getting some value for their contribution. The current "it only costs you 60 bucks a year to get nothing" sales pitch usually doesn't keep members for too many years.

Edited by ADLER

It's nice that the Exes Board of Directors really got a great person to work for the organization. I did apply, however, raising over $4.5 million in the last 4 years while teaching at the University of Arkansas just didn't even get an interview. Guess we don't want a Exes member, President's Council member, Mean Green Club member (since 88) and someone who is active in their local community and AN ALUMNI to get an interview. Also, did I mention being an Outstanding Alumni in UNT's Hospitality Management Program? Just think, next summer I should have my Ph.D. Still love the Mean Green!

It's nice that the Exes Board of Directors really got a great person to work for the organization. I did apply, however, raising over $4.5 million in the last 4 years while teaching at the University of Arkansas just didn't even get an interview. Guess we don't want a Exes member, President's Council member, Mean Green Club member (since 88) and someone who is active in their local community and AN ALUMNI to get an interview. Also, did I mention being an Outstanding Alumni in UNT's Hospitality Management Program? Just think, next summer I should have my Ph.D. Still love the Mean Green!

In light of last years "logogate", and what will soon turn out to be "NT-Stargate" (grab those hats from LIDs as fast as you can guys!), are any of us surprised at this? <_<

I'm certainly not. <_<

You've got to be kidding me? Not even an interview? WTF??????

Rick

OT: Do you go to the Arkansas football games? I have a season ticket and it be nice to know someone that is going. Also can't wait for the NT/Ark game in September.