Did We Miss A Chance To Add A Stadium Fee?

NT80

Opportunity lost to add a stadium fee?

UNT to halve tuition hike

Plan would change $8 per credit hour increase to $4

07:36 AM CDT on Friday, June 29, 2007

By Matthew Zabel / Staff Writer

University of North Texas students’ college bills this fall will be about $60 less than they had been told, if regents approve the decrease today as expected.

University administrators are asking the regents to cut in half a tuition increase they approved in February.

The regents meet today via telephone to vote on the change.

Phil Diebel, UNT’s vice president of finance and business affairs, said the university received more than $2.5 million more in state funding than he expected for the coming year.

In February, the board ap­proved an $8 per credit hour in­crease in tuition by a 5-3 vote, the narrowest margin in several years.

On Friday, the board will consider lowering that by $4 per credit hour, or $60 total for a student taking 15 credit hours.

“We’ve done that one other time in my 26 years here,” Diebel said.

A $1 per student increase to the student union fee, which the board also approved in February, will not change.

So, if the change is approved, tuition and fees for a student taking 15 hours would rise from $3,075.10 in 2006-07, to $3,136.10 for the coming school year.

“It’s going to be less than a 2 percent increase over this year. Less than 2 percent is pretty amazing. That’s not even a cost of living increase,” Diebel said.

He said students have registered for the fall semester but have not paid tuition yet.

So the change will simply mean students will see smaller bills than they would have.

Marjorie Craft, one of three regents who voted against the $8 increase in February, called the proposed decrease “a wonderful thing.”

She said she would continue to urge UNT administrators to keep the increases as low as possible.

“It’s like managing your household budget,” she said. “You have to stop and take stock of what you can do with the money you have.”

C. Dan Smith, a UNT regent who voted for the increase in February, agreed that the decrease is good news.

He hates to approve tuition and fee increases, he said, but it’s been the university’s only option lately.

He said UNT’s increases are low compared with many other universities.

“All of us would like it not to be necessary to increase tuition, but I don’t visualize being able to do that in the future,” Smith said.

Opportunity lost to add a stadium fee?

UNT to halve tuition hike

Plan would change $8 per credit hour increase to $4

He said UNT’s increases are low compared with many other universities.

Exactly why UNTs campus is not that attractive, why our professors complain about not getting paid enough, why some of our buildings are not getting a major needed overhaul, and why our athletic budget is so pathetic.

What is the fear about charging what the rest of the Universities charge? Maybe then we could hire better professors that adopt school spirit, have a more attractive campus, and increase our athletic budget so we can add baseball and become Title IX compliant.

UNT needs to stop thinking "small"....this is just one more "opportunity lost", but give the new Prez some time...things are definitely changing on campus and lots of the "old guard" are already feeling the heat. Money is definitely going to be "re-allocated" from some departments to others and WE are looking for high performing younger profs, etc. Hide and watch...it just might get VERY interesting in the next few months around the campus. I hear some profs are thinking of bailing out alreday...there is rumor of a possible "early retirement buyout"...I said rumor...and lots of "other" changes coming...get your seat belts on...the times they are a changing at UNT....the newest "emerging research university" in the state of Texas!

I don't know where Dumpsalot gets that our campus is not attractive? I've always thought it was one of the more beautiful I've ever seen. And it's gotten even better the last 3 years?

Am I alone feeling that way?

I always loved campus too. Can't wait to see the changes in person someday.

Exactly why UNTs campus is not that attractive, why our professors complain about not getting paid enough, why some of our buildings are not getting a major needed overhaul, and why our athletic budget is so pathetic.

What is the fear about charging what the rest of the Universities charge? Maybe then we could hire better professors that adopt school spirit, have a more attractive campus, and increase our athletic budget so we can add baseball and become Title IX compliant.

Because the other major Texas universities already charge an arm and a leg, that's why. Part of the attraction for UNT is that a student should be able to get a really good education without having to have mom, dad, and their cousin's neighbor's aunt 4 times removed take out 178 mortgages to pay for school. Heck, that's part of the reason I came here. Now, that's not to say that the school shouldn't charge what they weren't going to charge...that's probably not a bad hit, but I don't think UNT should knock tuition to say, UT's rate.

I also don't think that what you pay a professor really correlates to the level of school spirit that they have. I think it's their own personal preferences that do it, and the school's own academic performance and athletic performance that determines that. Heck, I'm sure there are profs at Michigan that don't care much for Michigan football and never will no matter how they're paid because they just don't like football. Besides which, UNT still has great professors.

Frankly, I thought UNT's campus wasn't all that bad in 2000, and it's gotten nicer since then...or haven't you seen the library mall? Haven't you seen the new dorms? Maybe you've skipped the new Health Center, the new Athletics Complex, Rec Center, the NEWER dorm being built now, and all of the other buildings that have popped up in just the last 2 years?

Because the other major Texas universities already charge an arm and a leg, that's why. Part of the attraction for UNT is that a student should be able to get a really good education without having to have mom, dad, and their cousin's neighbor's aunt 4 times removed take out 178 mortgages to pay for school. Heck, that's part of the reason I came here. Now, that's not to say that the school shouldn't charge what they weren't going to charge...that's probably not a bad hit, but I don't think UNT should knock tuition to say, UT's rate.

I also don't think that what you pay a professor really correlates to the level of school spirit that they have. I think it's their own personal preferences that do it, and the school's own academic performance and athletic performance that determines that. Heck, I'm sure there are profs at Michigan that don't care much for Michigan football and never will no matter how they're paid because they just don't like football. Besides which, UNT still has great professors.

Frankly, I thought UNT's campus wasn't all that bad in 2000, and it's gotten nicer since then...or haven't you seen the library mall? Haven't you seen the new dorms? Maybe you've skipped the new Health Center, the new Athletics Complex, Rec Center, the NEWER dorm being built now, and all of the other buildings that have popped up in just the last 2 years?

I just love to hear quotes like this because that's the kind of grad or student that keeps us right where the haves of D-1 want us to be. UT did a study a few years ago about correlation between student financial aid and tuition fee increases. Aid far and away outstiped any tuition/fee increase. Over 70% of UNT students are on some type of financial aid. However most find time to party, drink, and stay outside in the lot to talgate when the action begins inside the stadium. As the old axiom goes if you pay little or nothing for something then you don't perceive it as having much worth. These people who come in skimp by, commute, join no organizations, and virtually act as parasites to the school are the first to downgrade every program, but particularly athletics. Do we really want to encourage these types to come on down and get on the give away band wagon so you can get that degree and proceed to trash your alma mater as soon as you've walked across the stage ( oh I forgot these folks have theirs mailed as it would be too insulting to insinuate that the university had anything to do with their education and the crowd just might sing the alma mater and make the Eagle Claw, neither of which this group would remotely recognize).

I just love to hear quotes like this because that's the kind of grad or student that keeps us right where the haves of D-1 want us to be. UT did a study a few years ago about correlation between student financial aid and tuition fee increases. Aid far and away outstiped any tuition/fee increase. Over 70% of UNT students are on some type of financial aid. However most find time to party, drink, and stay outside in the lot to talgate when the action begins inside the stadium. As the old axiom goes if you pay little or nothing for something then you don't perceive it as having much worth. These people who come in skimp by, commute, join no organizations, and virtually act as parasites to the school are the first to downgrade every program, but particularly athletics. Do we really want to encourage these types to come on down and get on the give away band wagon so you can get that degree and proceed to trash your alma mater as soon as you've walked across the stage ( oh I forgot these folks have theirs mailed as it would be too insulting to insinuate that the university had anything to do with their education and the crowd just might sing the alma mater and make the Eagle Claw, neither of which this group would remotely recognize).

*cough* Craig "Junior" Miller *cough*

I'm not saying UNT has to be cheap, paying for an education at UNT isn't "paying little or nothing". What I'm saying is that SHOULD not have the same cost as other schools. Some people view UNT as a glorified community school, which it's not. UNT can find a good rate that gets the right funding in to all of the departments without cutting an arm off of its students. Say, if UT's 15 hour tuition was $5000 a semester, then ours could be something like $4000-4750 (I'm just pulling numbers out for the sake of illustrating my position).

People's viewed value of something isn't solely based on what they spend on it. For something like "experience" (which really is what school spirit is based upon), it's more about what they see and feel. When I first came here, I saw Dickey's old program being pretty shoddy and I saw what was left of the previous AD's administration. Trust me, I wasn't that big into what was going on at UNT in terms of its athletics and therefore, I was about as spirited as a brick. But, once I saw the program improve and I saw the students get behind RV, a better DD, and Dr Pohl, I started to believe in the school because those big guys did. I've been hooked ever since. It's about perception- and when DD was in gear, students got into what UNT's spirit was about, and when DD started to flounder, so did the support. Now, you can see it surging again with Dodge. With a better program comes more donations, more spirit, and a better program. And you can do all of this without charging whatever the other super-huge schools are charging.

You're assuming I'm riding the "far inexpensive" end of the spectrum, and I'm not. If you ask Bryan316, I'm usually trying to find the right place somewhere in the middle. UNT needs funding, but it shouldn't raise rates so suddenly and at such a high rate that it discourages potential and current students. Think of it as suddenly jumping residential taxes by 30%, it'll be upsetting for residents of a city. If it's done gradually, you can get what you want without scaring anyone off.

And besides that, you can see what UNT's done with the money it's had, and it's shown all over our campus, and those buildings are great.

They really should have kept that increase as it's probably what would've been smart to do. It seems like it's in the right place.

Edited by meangreendork

If i remember right the athletic/stadium fee which I voted for in college but was voted down was only $8 per credit hour. Which would only break down to $120 for 15hrs. But would raise 3 to 4 million dollars per year which I thought was a very reasonable plan to completely upgrade you school image.

Guest GrayEagleOne

If i remember right the athletic/stadium fee which I voted for in college but was voted down was only $8 per credit hour. Which would only break down to $120 for 15hrs. But would raise 3 to 4 million dollars per year which I thought was a very reasonable plan to completely upgrade you school image.

I believe that $8 per credit hour would raise about $8 million dollars per year since a student normally takes about 30 hours per year.

I don't know what the athletics fee rate is now but an additional $4 would raise an additional $4 million and that might be enough to guarantee the stadium bonds.

That would add around $500 dollars to the student's loan package, plus interest (assuming that they took all of their 120+ hours at North Texas. While we'd all like to see tuition rates held to a minimum, the total package is not that excessive.

It is somewhat difficult to enact a student stadium fee when there has been no official announcement of any intent to build a new stadium. I feel very confident that when the time comes the students will certainly have the opportunity to participate. I believe their option will be to accept the fee or go elsewhere. Unfortunately, I doubt that NT will raise the necessary funds without a substantial student fee increase.

It is somewhat difficult to enact a student stadium fee when there has been no official announcement of any intent to build a new stadium. I feel very confident that when the time comes the students will certainly have the opportunity to participate. I believe their option will be to accept the fee or go elsewhere. Unfortunately, I doubt that NT will raise the necessary funds without a substantial student fee increase.

It has been announced, just not advertised very well to students, fans, or the general public (I'm told it's still in that overdone "quiet phase"):

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...p;ATCLID=113995

It has been announced, just not advertised very well to students, fans, or the general public (I'm told it's still in that overdone "quiet phase"):

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...p;ATCLID=113995

I guess we have different definitions of an announcement. That is more of a proposal, does not state anywhere that NT is definitely building a stadium much less a date. Obviously there have been lots of unofficial announcements by members of the athletic staff indicating a new stadium. They IMO leaked those architectural plans a few years ago to stir up interest. They have hired a fund raising firm, apparently told recruits, spend development money , etc. But to the best of my knowledge the administration (BOD, President, Chancellor) have not officially announced a stadium will be build. This usually is not done until a project is assured of success. Yes, they have been in the so called silent fund raising stage and hopefully are close to a "public" announcement of a new stadium.

The problem is they can’t announce we are building a stadium until we’ve got a majority of the funds in place. Yet no one wants to donate until we get the announcement that it will defiantly being built. I think we’re at a point where the program needs a little bind faith. Open the checkbooks donate earmarked for the new stadium and lets just hope enough people do the same over the next year and we should have an announcement very shortly.