Unt Lands Another Ol, Transfer Qb On The Way

NT80

Mean Green Blog

June 04, 2007

UNT lands another, transfer QB could be on the way

North Texas continued to add to its 2008 recruiting class over the weekend when Eloy Atkinson, a 6-4, 270-pound tackle from Los Fresnos High School in South Texas gave the Mean Green an oral commitment.

Atkinson's only offer was from UNT, but a host of other schools were recruiting him, including Utah, Kansas, Houston, Arizona and Iowa State. Atkinson plays for former UNT player Scott Ford.

Atkinson projects to be a tackle on the college level.

The addition of Atkinson gives UNT four early commitments, but the Mean Green might not be done for the week just yet. Former Plano West quarterback Eric Johnson said Monday he is planning to transfer to UNT.

Johnson spent two seasons at SMU before leaving at the semester break. He spent the spring at Texas State, but now appears to be a lock to either receive a scholarship or walk on at UNT. He would have three years of eligibility remaining with the Mean Green after sitting out a season.

Johnson is the older brother of UNT 2007 recruit J.J. Johnson, an offensive lineman from Plano West.

For more on Eric Johnson and Atkinson, see tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle or check our Web site www.dentonrc.com late tonight.

Posted by Brett Vito at 8:59 PM

We are going to have a log jam at QB next year. There could be worse problems though.

Also, If Tune and Johnson get a scholarship, then that gives us potentially 6 QBs on scholarship, right? Any news of a transfer out?

Thinking the same thing , Im thinking if Vizza is groomed to be the future w/ the possibility of Tune or this Johnson kid waiting behind him ... Meager starts this year and does good w/ Wilson getting some PT this season then Phillips could be the odd man out and not be on the roster next season. Just me playing physic , just a guess

Edited by NT03

So we're getting a former SMU quarterback? Are heads exploding over on ponyfans?

Last year we won because they didn't care and the game was our " Super Bowl"

This year their excuse will be because we have a former player on the sidelines who will be telling our coaches what play they will be running :ph34r:

Edited by NT03

In my opinion you can never have enough quality quarterback prospects. It breeds competition and makes them all push hard to be their very best. I hope we never again get ourselves into a situation like we were when Byerly flunked out. We had to rely on a freshman (Meager) who wasn't ready. You ought to have 3-4 quality quarterback prospects every single year especially in an offense like Dodge's.

In my opinion you can never have enough quality quarterback prospects. It breeds competition and makes them all push hard to be their very best. I hope we never again get ourselves into a situation like we were when Byerly flunked out. We had to rely on a freshman (Meager) who wasn't ready. You ought to have 3-4 quality quarterback prospects every single year especially in an offense like Dodge's.

Exactly. Dodge has already said he doesn't believe in qb-by-committee. He said competition is good and forces the creme to the top. That there will be a main guy and some backups, the rest will be encouraged to try another position.

Definitely nothing wrong with having quality Qb's, but has anyone even thought of the fact this guy didn't have a snowball's chance in hell in beating out Justin Willis?

Not a knock on Willis by any means, since he out performed any Qb on our roster last year. Still, he didn't put any fear into teams in CUSA....

Definitely nothing wrong with having quality Qb's, but has anyone even thought of the fact this guy didn't have a snowball's chance in hell in beating out Justin Willis?

Not a knock on Willis by any means, since he out performed any Qb on our roster last year. Still, he didn't put any fear into teams in CUSA....

This is exactly what I was thinking. Add to that there is mention of him considering walking on should clue you in that he may not be an impact player. There is nothing wrong with depth at QB...I just wouldn't expect him to come in her and be our QB savior.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Add to that there is mention of him considering walking on should clue you in that he may not be an impact player. There is nothing wrong with depth at QB...I just wouldn't expect him to come in her and be our QB savior.

I still expect Wilson & Meager to head the "attack" going into the year. Depending on how bad the team is (reality says we are a 2-9 team with 2-9 DD talent filled roster), we may get to see G-Vizzy put in lots of work.

And yes, I'm bored with sports in general at this point (No Football, Rangers sucking & the Spurs destined for crown #100) so I'm coming with supid nicknames like G-Vizzy.

:shuriken:

I wouldn't necessarily say this team is 2-9 talented, but it may have been 2-9 coached. :rolleyes:

--Good comment.... a lot of coaching is getting the best out of the talent that is available and I don't think DD did. For one thing I expect a lot less stupid penalites which often cost us points or give the opponent points.

--Good comment.... a lot of coaching is getting the best out of the talent that is available and I don't think DD did. For one thing I expect a lot less stupid penalites which often cost us points or give the opponent points.

Well, those penalties definitely sustained drives against us and set us back into punting situations, and that was the most annoying thing in the world. They were always perfectly timed to get the max frustration.

I wouldn't necessarily say this team is 2-9 talented, but it may have been 2-9 coached. :rolleyes:

Exactly... there were some very winnable games last season, but when you are down by 3 late in the 4th after coming back from 21 down, and run a draw up the middle on third and long in the shadow of your own goal post... that's all on the coach.