Thinking About Howerton

Harry

I personally didn't see enough potential in him last year but I'm hoping I am wrong. Seem like with Odowufu sitting out there will be a lot of pressure on Howerton to step up and perform this year to rest Quincy and Keith.

Any opinions on Howerton? Could he turn a corner this year or is he a bench warmer?

I personally didn't see enough potential in him last year but I'm hoping I am wrong. Seem like with Odowufu sitting out there will be a lot of pressure on Howerton to step up and perform this year to rest Quincy and Keith.

Any opinions on Howerton? Could he turn a corner this year or is he a bench warmer?

I've been wondering the same thing Harry. In my eyes, Howerton has made huge strides since his freshman year. He handles the ball better, is more aggressive to the rim, and his overall reflexes are adjusting to the speed of the game. Moreover, last summer he really bulked up from weight training. That said, he still has a ways to go, and I hope he has worked hard over the off-season. At 6-10 250, he could be a major contributor. JJ seems to have confidence in him, and recall that Quincy only recently blossomed in his Junior year. I also recall reading that the Howerton signing was a major steal from the likes of Texas A&M and others so JJ isn't the only one who sees something. I know we are quick to judge Howerton, but I've decided to suspend judgment until we see improvements, if any, this season.

He'll probably just be the guy we throw out to foul people when Q and Wooden need some rest. As pathetic as that may sound, alot of other schools have guys that fill that capacity too. He was playing a bit better at the end of the season last year(IMHO), so maybe he could be a decent glue guy - dive for loose balls/take charges/get a key rebound when he's in etc. Those can be pivotal players to a squad, but he'd never be much more than one of those lunch pail types.

He'll probably just be the guy we throw out to foul people when Q and Wooden need some rest. As pathetic as that may sound, alot of other schools have guys that fill that capacity too. He was playing a bit better at the end of the season last year(IMHO), so maybe he could be a decent glue guy - dive for loose balls/take charges/get a key rebound when he's in etc. Those can be pivotal players to a squad, but he'd never be much more than one of those lunch pail types.

Ditto

Actually those types are important to a team. You can't have all 3-stars on a 13 man roster. A&M signed Howerton early (on potential) but Gillespie backed away. With the influx of talent over the next 2 years, JJ may even elect to go with a shorter quicker lineup opposed to player just because he's 6-10. The ability to throw 5 fouls out there and/or to frustrate the opponents big man is huge!

Go Mean Green

The one thing that really bothers me about Howerton is that he is a big time "flopper". He fell down against Memphis, and it looked silly seeing a 6'10" 250 guy dropping to to floor like a stiff piece of wood after getting bumped...

Adding on to Cooley's thought of a smaller, quicker line-up...Howerton playing the five with 3 wings and a guard or 2 wings and 2 guards around him could be a very potent line-up. Howerton clogging the middle, and 4 guys running the floor. I rag on Howerton, but you can't teach 6'10 250. Many teams, especially in the SBC, would love to have a player of his mass. He's never going to be a polished post scorer, but if he can get his coordination down and learn 2 moves he will be a big benefit here for the next 2 seasons

I know Howerton has put on weight but I just hate seeing him get pushed around by smaller players. I hope he is hitting the weight room hard this offseason. Also would love to see him develop a baby hook or some time of offensive threat that opposing teams would have to respect somewhat.

I haven't given up on the kid - he has heart and effort and I respect and appreciate that.

wow

Why the "wow." Was that a bad post? I thought it more a statement of fact. By flopping I mean acting as though he was knocked over (i.e. charged into by the offensive player). He does it fairly regularly. I have only seen him get an offensive charge called against his opponent once or twice. He needs to be thinking about playing tall and strong, rather than flopping to ground to get a charge call.

I know Howerton has put on weight but I just hate seeing him get pushed around by smaller players. I hope he is hitting the weight room hard this offseason. Also would love to see him develop a baby hook or some time of offensive threat that opposing teams would have to respect somewhat.

I haven't given up on the kid - he has heart and effort and I respect and appreciate that.

I think he has improved since his freshmen season, and 2A HS ball. He still needs work on catching passes, and is sometimes uncoordinated like a young puppy, but he does take up space. He reminds me of other center "projects" we've had in the past.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I disagree with the fact that Howerton has improved since his freshman season. In his freshman year he was the leading rebounder per minute played and in the middle of the pack in scoring per minute played. This past year he was last in scoring and was ahead of only Bell in rebounding.

Perhaps his best point is that he's a good offensive rebounder. He's the only one who'll have about as many offensive boards as he will defensive boards. He also doesn't have a lot of turnovers but then again he doesn't handle the ball enough.

I think that he has the capability to contribute but he is going to have to work much harder at it. In spite of his heighth, he doesn't block many shots. He doesn't foul very often which could mean that he plays way too soft. Even if he took a lot of charges, he is the worst free throw shooter on the team.

While I haven't totally given up on him, I'm very disappointed in his play lately. We desparately need for him to step up to the plate. Maybe Tic Price can make a real contributor out of him.

Honestly, he reminds me of Shawn Bradley and we all know what he was like. I agree he's got heart and I hope he turns it around but he seems so uncoordinated and frankly, scares me when he's on the court. Chris was right about a flopper.

He definitely hustles, but just lacks the quickness needed to be an effective post player, IMO. He "goes up" way too slow, especially with the ball in hand under the basket.

Of course, a lack of confidence could be causing the hesitation. I still have hope for the young man.

He definitely hustles, but just lacks the quickness needed to be an effective post player, IMO. He "goes up" way too slow, especially with the ball in hand under the basket.

Of course, a lack of confidence could be causing the hesitation. I still have hope for the young man.

I think it may be a lack of confidence so I still have hope for him. I recall in one home game this season, Howerton exploded to the basket with a one handed slamn dunk right over a defensive player... it was beautiful. Everyone in the student section had comments like, "Damn, look at Howerton! Let's see more of that!" I actually stayed after the game just to tell Howerton what a great play it was. He seemed surprised that I noticed when I talked to him.