Updated Vito Blog: A Tease About A

NT80

Full DRC Story on Josh White:

Basketball: Mean Green lands all-state guard from Louisiana

11:28 PM CDT on Tuesday, May 15, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

When Johnny Jones took over at North Texas six years ago, he wanted to reach the point where he could recruit the top high school players in Texas and the Southwest.

After adding Josh White to his latest recruiting class on Tuesday, Jones said he feels like he has finally reached his goal. White attracted the attention of several prominent programs across the country before they filled their scholarship allotment.

UNT swept in and signed White, a 5-10 point guard Rivals.com ranks No. 10 on its list of the top 10 players in Louisiana in the Class of 2007.

"This has been a long time coming for us," Jones said. "He is the type of player we need to be able to get from the high school ranks. This makes a statement that the success we had last year in getting to the NCAA Tournament really has helped us."

White averaged 25.3 points, 7.0 assists and 4.0 steals a game last season, when he led Christian Life of Baton Rouge, La., to its second straight Class 1A state title.

White was the overall MVP of the state tournament last season. In Louisiana, a state tournament MVP is named for each classification before one is selected the overall MVP. The Louisiana Sportswriters Association also named White the state's Most Outstanding Player.

"I was sure that he was going to wind up at LSU or somewhere like that," Jones said. "When he didn't sign in the early period, I kept watching him. When LSU signed another guard, we went full throttle."

Tulane, Long Beach State, Ball State and Loyola-Chicago all offered White a scholarship.

"I felt very comfortable at North Texas, loved the facilities and liked my opportunity to come in and make an immediate impact as a freshman," White said. "North Texas came in late, four or five days before signing day, and told me that they thought I was going to sign with LSU or another major school. … I thought I was headed to Florida or USC. They both filled up their scholarships so I had to look at my options."

White also named his relationship with Jones and the Mean Green's trip to the NCAA Tournament last season as factors that played a role in his decision to attend UNT.

Todd Foster, the head coach at Christian Life, described White as a skilled offensive player who is equally adept at scoring and setting up his teammates.

"Josh has a knack for scoring," Foster said. "He uses his body well and can score with either hand. He could have scored as much as he wanted to for us. He will do whatever it takes to win. That means more to me than anything."

Foster said he saw a parade of coaches from prominent schools come to Baton Rouge to watch White play. Several of those schools didn't offer White a scholarship because of his size.

"People doubt shorter kids, but he can score and run a team," Foster said. "He made 94 3-pointers for us this year and is extremely tough."

Josh White is the younger brother of former Oklahoma standout Quannas White.

UNT's latest recruit will join what is shaping up to be perhaps UNT's best signing class in Jones' tenure with the Mean Green. UNT has signed Brewster (N.H.) Academy guard/small forward Tristan Thompson, Midland College point guard Ryan McCoy and Mesa (Ariz.) Community College shooting guard Adam McCoy in addition to White.

Texashoops rated Thompson the 18th best player in the state in the class of 2006 before he spent a year in prep school. Ryan McCoy was listed at No. 40 in the Class of 2005 before he went to junior college.

Adam McCoy ranked No. 14 nationally with a 48.7 3-point field goal percentage last season at Mesa.

Jones has put the class together after leading the Mean Green to a school record for wins in a season while posting a 23-11 record. UNT finished third in the Sun Belt Conference's West Division before catching fire in the league's postseason tournament, winning four straight games and the league title.

UNT went on to lose to Memphis in its first appearance in the NCAA Tournament since 1988.

"I am really excited to play with the other guys coach Jones is brining in," White said. "I want to help the team build on going to the NCAA Tournament last year."

Past JJ HS Recruits

Collin Mangrum - 2006

Harold Edwards - 2005

Justin Howerton - 2005

Harold Stewart - 2005

Michael Sturns - 2004

Quincy Williams - 2004

Calvin Watkins - 2003

Ron Harris - 2002

Scott Roniger - 2002

Ty Thomas - 2002

Sam Byrd - 2002

On paper, Josh White is clearly the best HS recruit todate. (state rankings)