The Big Picture: Top 10 List

NT80

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Winning

2. Remodeled football stadium - I'm one of the few that doesn't believe we have to start from scratch with the stadium. Remove the track, bring seats closer to the fields (especially the end zone seats), have a nice brick wall surrounding the whole structure, add about half a dozen luxury boxes on the student side, revamp and expand the press boxes, have a good-looking façade around the stands, expand the bathrooms, move concessions away from the stadium and into their own structures facing the stadium, have closed circuit TVs outside the stadium where the concessions and bathrooms are...and kill the crickets).

3. Pick a dadgum shade of green, logo, and stick with it FOREVER.

4. Winning

I have to say I agree with Lonnie here. I personally don't like the idea of the stadium being across I-35. Fouts is in a perfect place where it is today - which is actually on campus and within very close walking distance. Never mind that it may not be technically possibly to actually move each side of the stadium forward, I still like the idea. And I don't buy the fact that it is not possible to move it without the technical reasoning behind it. And please don't tell me "because of drainage etc..." unless there has been an actual paid for engineering study done - I won't believe it isn't possible to do until I see it.

Edited by Stan R

I have to say I agree with Lonnie here. I personally don't like the idea of the stadium being across I-35. Fouts is in a perfect place where it is today - which is actually on campus and within very close walking distance. Never mind that it may not be technically possibly to actually move each side of the stadium forward, I still like the idea. And I don't buy the fact that it is not possible to move it without the technical reasoning behind it. And please don't tell me "because of drainage etc..." unless there has been an actual paid for engineering study done - I won't believe it isn't possible to do until I see it.

Before we acquired the Eagle Point land and built the new AC I would have supported this idea too, but not with the possibilities across the highway for a larger and much better facility. It will still be walkable from campus with footbridges that will be added. It is not financially feasible to renovate Fouts as needed compared to building new on vacant land. I have heard various reasons, including TXDot encroachment and the drainage issue, about why Fouts is done. The 55+ year old concete stadium would need major structural, electrical, plumbing, and every other type of renovation for a continued long-term use. Plus the fact the current Fouts location is to be added to the core campus for future parking, dorms and academic building locations. Its seems like an easy convert to just dig down and add 20,000 new seats and new concessions, but it is a LOT more than that.

---Fouts is way too old and not that that great either to withstand or even justify that kind of renovation (moving it forward) Sometimes you just need to start over. Tearing down one side, moving the field and starting rebuilding that one then later replacing the opposite side might make sense if the entire money needed is not available, but not remodeling it. Personally I think the campus will soon need that room for expansion. Across I-35 is not that big a problem for students as long as some type of passageways are constructed.

1. Winning

Were you not there during 01-04 seasons when we were SBC champs 4 years in a row? When we smoked Baylor and beat Cinci? I would def. say that we were winning games then and yet it didn't benefit UNT because look where we were the last 2 seasons. So you say beat OOC teams? How is that going to happen if we cant pull in better recruits? Winning hasn't helped us pull in better recruits in the past.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Studies have been done. Hayden Fry's plan originally was to let the current east stands be the upper deck, and dig down to build the lower bowl. Tear down the west stands and move them toward the east stands and put in a new press box. He had engineering studies done because he thought that he might be able to raise enough funds to make that happen. I've slept a few times since his disclosure but I believe that he said in effect was that there would have been water standing because the seepage had nowhere to drain. Something like that. Anyway, he convinced his audience that it would be a waste of money to try it.

2. Remodeled football stadium - I'm one of the few that doesn't believe we have to start from scratch with the stadium. Remove the track, bring seats closer to the fields (especially the end zone seats), have a nice brick wall surrounding the whole structure, add about half a dozen luxury boxes on the student side, revamp and expand the press boxes, have a good-looking façade around the stands, expand the bathrooms, move concessions away from the stadium and into their own structures facing the stadium, have closed circuit TVs outside the stadium where the concessions and bathrooms are...and kill the crickets).

It will cost as much to remodel Fouts as it would to start over. Everything you listed as "improvements" can't be done. It's not possible with the structure in place. Where would you suggest we put the expanded bathrooms and concessions? In the end zones? Remember, TxDOT is going to eat up most of the parking lot on the press box of Fouts. There's going to be no room outside the fence to do anything.